40 gallon tank, and I'm torn on options

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by junebug, Aug 9, 2015.

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

So, as some of you know, I have a 40 gallon tank with a 20 gallon drilled sump/return system sitting around, waiting to be resealed and filled with fish.

Originally, I wanted to put sunfish in this tank. I still do. But one of my other tanks that I was originally planning to use for small natives has subsequently been hijacked by Empire gudgeons. That tank was originally slotted for Bluenose shiners, Pygmy killifish (which I'm getting regardless, they can go in a 3 gallon if need be) and either tadpole madtoms or a pair of swamp darters.

But I have a problem, since their slotted tank is now gone.

I really want the shiners. They're the one that will be a problem (I can easily put the darters in with sunfish). But to complicate things even further, I have the opportunity to get some really, really gorgeous fancy goldfish from an amazing guy. The 40 gallon is the absolute smallest tank I'd ever put them in, given it has the sump which allows for a refugium....

So I'm torn. Do I want a 40 gallon native tank without Bluenose shiners? Do I want to skip the sunfish and go for a native community instead?

If it helps, the sunfish I was planning to get are mid-sized species. Dollar sunfish, Longear sunfish, and one of the smaller species (not pygmies, real sunfish) clocking in at about 3.5" adult size.

I have ~60 gallons of water to work with, but the footprint of a 40 breeder. Any and All fry can easily be raised in the sump, so I'm not too concerned about that. I'll just need to build a fry-proof cage around the return pump.

So my options are: Black moor and/or calico fantail goldies (I'd want two, preferably one of each), Sunfish tank, or native community with a big school of Bluenose shiners, a few pair of pygmy killies, and a pair of swamp darters.

Help me. :(

2. Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I think a sunfish tank would be gorgeous personally. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, I would go with a sunfish tank.

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

So it looks like I will be doing sunfish after all. Not because I prefer them to the other fish, but because they're totally outside of my comfort zone, and I've been wanting some "big" fish for quite a while.

I did, however, change up the plan. I'm going to be getting (or at least trying to get) a m/f pair of Northern Longears, and a trio of something like Banded sunfish, or possibly the species next up in size from them, whichever is most easily available.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds good. Pics when you get them!