40? Gallon Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DCJ, Apr 8, 2017.

1. DCJ

DCJ Valued Member Member

Hallo!

I'm writing this on mobile so apologies for any typos

I'm forward planning the stocking for a Juwel Rio 180, a bowfront tank which is supposedly 47 us gal/180l?

36" long
    19.5" tall
    12.5" end width, 16" center width

I would love to keep some Boesemani rainbows - I was thinking 5 with a kribensis pair on the bottom and maybe some little tetras or some such - but I've seen conflicting views on their suitability for a tank that size.

I wondered if anyone had anecdotal answers on that or could weigh in an opinion, first on size suitability and then on compatibility with kribs +?

Otherwise, I would appreciate stocking suggestions. I like:

- denisons barbs
    - kribensis
    - silvertip tetras
    - some of the apistogrammas
    - always a Cory fan but like pitbull plecs as well

I have/have had angelfish, cherry barbs, white skirt tetras, sparkling & honey gouramis, endlers, ember tetras, shell dwellers & most livebearers ( guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails) & harlequin rasboras so would prefer something new.

I'd like to avoid a cichlid tank too

My water is hard with a PH of 7.4 - 8, temps aren't an issue & I love me some planted tanks

That's a huge and picky list: anyone bored and fancy a go? Thank you!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The denisons barbs would need a 48" long tank and I believe the boesmani rainbows would too, neon dwarf rainbows might work though.
    I think you could have a school of dwarf rainbows, a school of silvertip tetras, a school of cories and a pair of apistos or kribs.

3. OP
    OP
    DCJ

DCJ Valued Member Member

@BottomDweller thank you so much for your input :)

Denisons barbs are killing me! They'll be the first thing I stock when I get the giant tank of my dreams, lol, in my dreams right?

This is AqAdvisor getting my hopes up about Boesemani, I should know better than to trust what it says but then that's why I come here

I liked the colour gradient on the Boesemani's and even the more subtle colouring on the trifasciata but I'm not seeing the same in the Neon Dwarfs (unless pics don't do them justice, like sparkling gouramis or lampeyes?)

I'm happy to see that you recommend the silvertips with the kribs though, I've wanted to keep them both for some time but I haven't been able to build a community around either of them that would be harmonious until now.

Pearl gourami are another fish that caught my attention - I'd really appreciate your opinion on a community with them, if I may? I was considering (loosely) something along the lines of:

- 1 Pearl Gourami
    - 10 x Silvertip Tetra
    - 6 x Neon Dwarf Rainbows (thought I'm still on the fence)
    - 8 x Dwarf Chain Loaches (or another loach maybe?)
    - 2 x Kribensis
    - 2 x Apistos (I quite like the borelli's too, but the agassizii are nice as well)

I'd be happy to swap out the Rainbows for something I may not have considered yet and I'm reaaaaally uncertain about the apistos with the kribs. I'd build their territories on either end of the tank but if the consensus is that it's too risky I'd do the best thing for the fish and omit one of them. I'm also open to anyone pointing out any glaring errors in the above like temp clashes or pescitarian tragedies or anything :)

I'm open to hearing any other suggestions as well

Thank you again @BottomDweller for responding :)

ETA - I would consider a single male Krib, as reading around I've seen that they're much more docile than when kept as a breeding pair. Would this have any impact on including a single/pair of Apisto's of some kind? Sorry if this is a stupid/obvious question, I haven't been able to get a solid answer and I trust the opinions of you guys

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure if having 2 pairs in this size tank would be such a good idea but I'm no expert on cichlids
    I would swap the dwarf chain loaches for kuhli loaches

Breeding pairs tend to be more aggressive and territorial when breeding, just having 1 would be safer.

@Anders247 Perhaps you could help more?

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The neon dwarf rainbows will flash black stripes on their side and white along their foreheads when they are displaying, which is often. But they are not as colorful as the other two you mentioned. They do show better with some room light, or better yet sunlight, hitting their scales (from the side vs just the top).

Kamaka, parva, or maccullochi rainbows are some other options that would fit your tank well. (These are readily available online.)

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, I wouldn't do two pairs of cichlids in a 40g.

7. OP
    OP
    DCJ

DCJ Valued Member Member

@BottomDweller swapping the loaches looks good to me - I feel weird not having cories but I've never tried keeping loaches before so it should be interesting. Thank you for helping me and summoning reinforcements :) As before I really appreciate your input

@vikingkirken I had no idea! Nothing I've looked at mentions that, that's interesting. But dude, thank you SO much for those Boesemani alternatives, I love the look of them. Do you happen to know if they shoal together? For example, I'd have 10 'rainbows' but they'd be the different species? I wouldn't want to stress them and I don't think I'd have enough room for two shoals of the two to be comfortable - I hope that sentence made sense! Also, thank you for your input, it was really helpful and opened up some options I didn't know I had :)

@Anders247 Thank you so much for weighing in, I've seen you in other threads and I know you know your stuff. Would you be able to advise on the idea of an apisto agassizii pair and a sole krib, purely from a compatibility stance? I'm not eager on having a 'Sushi in the Natural World' liveshow going on in the tank

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You may be able to pull that off, but I think it would be much better if you did one apisto and one krib.

9. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Many people keep mixed rainbow schools and seem to feel it works fine. I haven't tried it myself so I can't share personal experience on that. But many of the melanotaenia species can and will interbreed, which suggests to me that they're pretty comfortable with each other... I wouldn't try it in a tank with aggressive tankmates (where they really need the extra security of a tight school), but yours isn't an aggressive tank... It's ultimately your call.

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You'll definitely want to keep an eye on the apisto and krib. If you get a pretty laid back krib it should be fine, but if you get a jerk, it will make short work of an apisto

11. OP
    OP
    DCJ

DCJ Valued Member Member

@Anders247 I'm not about to ignore your advice! lol. I'll give one of each a go and see how I fare.

@vikingkirken Thank you for coming back to me about that! It's a little way off yet, I think I'll do a bit more research to find out what the general consensus on that is. Thanks again for suggesting those 'bows though!

@tyguy7760 I'll watch and see, as you say :) Thank you for commenting! Also, lol, your jerk face tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice