40 Gallon Stocking Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by raptorsvt79, Apr 14, 2010.

1. raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79Well Known MemberMember

i have a 40 gallon tank i'm about to set up....i have a 12 gallon tank currently set and running, with 6 harlequin rasboras, 2 albino cory cats and a four month old krib and a mystery snai.....i'm going to move all the fish into the 40 gallon....but want suggestions, as what i could maybe add, i would like some larger fish if possible....plz help...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

You could get a dwarf gourami. They look nice. Some rams would be ok too but aren't as big as the dwarf gourami. You could also try angelfish.

3. NMfishman

NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

Giant Danios, or maybe sometype of rainbowfish like turquoise or boeseman, just remember these fish are schooling and need at least 3 or 4. Angels should be fine, as well as a bristlenose pleco. I think the larger gouramies would work but not to sure about them with the krib.

4. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

I personally would have to disagree with the suggestion of rams, rams and kribs are both dwarf cichlids, and they are from different parts of the world, therefore I don't think they would mix to well.

I would suggest these fish to add with the ones you already have:

1 angelfish OR 1 pearl/gold/opaline gourami

add 4 more corys to your 2 you already have.

1 bristlenose pleco

This would leave you, in my opinion, just under fully stocked :)

5. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

if i get a pair of angels, would that be a problem?

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Only for the other fish :) JK but yeah, they'll be more aggressive while they spawn.

7. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

hmmm...i would like some angels....and there is no gurantee that i will get an actual male and female....

8. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

You could have 1 Angel but I wouldn't suggest a pair with your current stocking list. I like Platy Ben's suggestion. Very nice :) You could try that?

9. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

now if i could only find a bristlenose pleco..

10. NMfishman

NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I know I can't bet BNs out here either :mad:

11. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

If you can't find a bristlenose, a clown, tiger, or rubberlip pleco would be great instead.

12. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

that sounds great...i'll look around

13. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

I think some of our members breed bristlenosep lecos, I'm not sure who, I think Shawnie did at one point and CHoffman I also know has bred plecos, so if you send them a profile/private message they might be able to help you out :)

14. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

so people are telling me an angel is a bad choice with the fish i have....i really wanted an angel....but what other fish would be a good choice, besides a gourmai...

15. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I just saw the rasboras, i think they are small enough that it could eat them eventually. And I don't know anything about kribs. Sorry, for some reason I was thnking your stock was something different...it's been one of those days.

16. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

how about swordtails...would they work with my stock?

17. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Sure!

18. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I really like my Swordtails, they are pretty looking and very active fish. I think you'd like them.

19. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

how does two females and one male sound...i heard males are aggressive towards each other....i just hope they dont bother my harlequins

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice