40 gallon long

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would an aquaclear 70 be fine in a 40 gallon aquarium or would I need 2 ac 70's?

I don't really want to have 2 filters in my aquarium so if there is something else I would love to know.

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it would be fine, since it is rated for 40 to 70 gal. tanks.

It also depends on how you stock the tank.

I am in the habit of overloading my tanks, so I keep two filters in every one of my tanks. If one filter fails, the fish will not suffer as much, until I fix the problem.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If you don't over stock your tank and you don't stock fish that are large waste producers like Plecos or Goldfish then the AC 70 may be fine. (300gph). However, personally I would try to get as close to 400gph as I could so that you have 10 x the tank volume in filtration.

More filtration is always best as long as your fish aren't being blown around the tank by the current.

Another option is to use the Aqua Clear (AC) 110 w/500gph. Check the dimensions of the filter to make sure it will fit your tank. The intake tube may be too long for your tank.

On my 33 gallon long I have two AC 50's for 400gph. You could also use your AC 70 and an AC 50 for a total of 500gph. There are a lot of combination's you can use but I would suggest having 10x your tank volume for your GPH.

Ken

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Chris and Ken.

The AC 110's intake tube seems to be 13.5 in long. I believe that will fit the tank. Thanks for the help.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads