40 gallon goldfish aquarium?

Bubbles5011

Reaction score
Ok so since i recently moved to a bigger house and I have an extra 40 gallon breeder aquarium. , I have a place for it far away from windows but it can still get relatively hot in so cal even in the house ( low 70s) would that be ok for a goldfish? Also could I fit one black moore one ryukin and one telescope comfortably in a 40 gallon breeder tank with 30% water changes each week?
I'm considering goldfish now because it got to hot in my old house but now since I've moved i'm hoping i could get goldfish now. However I probably wouldn't if I couldn't find an affordably priced cooler if those temperatures are too high.

I heard most people say 20 gallons per the first fish and 10 for each additional but I have also heard 20 gallons each ???.I was planning on getting an aqua clear 110 filter if that helps as i know that double the filtration is best.Also any tips for keeping goldfish would be greatly appreciated as I have only kept tropical fish previously have a wonderful day.

yogosans14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes the temp will be fine. Goldfish are not "coldwater" fish. They are tolerant of a wide range of temperatures. Fancy goldfish can tolerate 60 to 90 degrees. In the summer my tank is a constant 78 degrees and they do just fine but poop more as there metabliosm is increased but they do grow much more in the summer time. Also fancy goldfish are bred usually in warmer tropical cliamtes and there digestive system is more efficient at a warmer temperature. You goldies will do fine.

The rule is 20 gallons per fish but honestly I cheat and follow the 20 gallons for the first and 10 for each additional only because I do large weekly 80% water changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k326_yiQG1s

If you know of Solid Gold she explains the temperature question better here.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would do two, just because Black Moors can get really large for fancies. If you wanted, say, pearlscales, then you could definitely do 3.

Shahbazin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds like you're planning a great setup!
I agree with 2 fish, always better not to over stock & goldies grow quickly; if you did a 3rd, you'd probably want to do 2x weekly water changes. You could always start with 2 anyhow, & then have space for a 3rd when a special fish comes along... I go by 20 gal. 1st fish, 15 -20 gal. each additional. The 110 sounds like the right amount of filtration; temp shouldn't be a problem (I'm in southern CA too, goldfish do well with a range of temps). I'd probably do 50% weekly water changes though, since goldfish do make a lot of waste (here's an interesting visual on water chages: ) I do 90% weekly changes in my 75 gal. with 4 goldfish.
There's also a goldfish-only board you might find helpful - it's located here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/
Goldfish are wonderful fish, full of personality, & with a remarkable range of colors & shapes.

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wellllllll since it sounds like we're all in agreement you're pretty much going to have to post pictures of these new Goldies ASAP.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom