40 Gallon Goldfish Aquaponics Questions, looking for advice.

NevermindIgnoreMe

So I'm planning on a 40 gallon (breeder) goldfish equalities setup, I already have the tank itself, and I'm going to use that one metal 63 dollar stand you can find just about anywhere. I am still just planning, but I need advice...
How much sand should I use to cap dirt? It's going to be reminiscent of a Walstad method in the tank itself, or at least that's my hope.

Will a ph of 7.4 be alright for peas, tomatoes, butternut squash, not to mention a few other (aquaponics approved) plants?

I want to add fish as soon as it cycles, which may not be doable, because I don't know where to get them. I don't want huge beautifully groomed 200$ fish, I want babies (3 to start off with). I'm wanting a mix or just either butterfly telescopes or ranchu, but I'll take whatever of those I can get. My ebay seller I bought from last time won't have babies again until next winter, and lewnews is expensive. Most places I've checked are either A: Too expensive or B: Sold out of anything I want. Or all of the above. I know, picky picky. What would be ideal is a local breeder, but knowing my area that probably isn't likely. How would I even know if there is one? I checked craigslist, and not surprisingly there aren't any goldfish breeders or sellers in general in my area, or state, or within a five hour drive in any direction... Also there aren't any fish clubs in my state. I will be calling a bunch of fish stores today, but I have literally no hope. I'm probably not allowed to say my state either, but if you really want to know, it's the one without any fish clubs/societies/ect.

qldmick

I wouldn't use dirt in a goldfish tank.

AquEric

Goldfish like to sift the substrate for food if they can get it in their mouths they might try to eat it in my opinion gravel would be better

NevermindIgnoreMe

I wouldn't use dirt in a goldfish tank.
I'm capping it with sand, and using "organic" dirt without toxic chemicals ect.
Like in a walstad tank.
Goldfish like to sift the substrate for food if they can get it in their mouths they might try to eat it in my opinion gravel would be better
I'm using sand, which they love to forage through. They can spit it out btw. It's probably going to be Caribsea Super naturals, which is make for aquaria. They can't really forage through gravel, and I just like the look of sand better too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
teep
Replies
Views
SaraCooper
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views