40 Gallon Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kevin 12980, Apr 15, 2018.

1. K

Kevin 12980 New Member Member

Good morning folks,
    I fairly new to the hobby roughly about 6-7 months. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and I just want some opinions(picture attached). I have 8 peppered Cory cats,2 black mollies,1 Otocinclus(had 4 but only one is left),4 rummy nose(plan on getting 6 more),1 golden mystery snail(roughly the size of a golf ball)2 zebra snails,1 opaline,1 gold and one dwarf rainbow gourami and 2 bosemani rainbow. Everything is still juveniles except for the Cory cats and the black mollies.I know once everyone is fully grown I’ll be at max capacity(if my math is right). Oh and I have a rubber lip pleco(roughly about 1” long)that don’t do besides hide in the rock cave I built with dragon stone. The tank is kinda well planted I plan on adding as needed.As the Java Fern produces babies I’m trying to create a wall on Java Fern in between the dragon stone. I separated some babies off of the Java Fern leaves last night and stuck them in between the dragon stone. Filtration is a Aqua Clear 70 with 2 sponge filters and a lot of bio rings(I added another replacement Aqua Clear 70 bag and a prefilter intake sponge. My two concerns are the gold Gourami is a and picks on EVERYTHING in the tank it killed a blue Gourami in less than 2 days. I was planning on bringing the gold Gourami back to PetCo yesterday but they didn’t seem too interested in taking it back alive. Also I added the 2 bosemani last night they seemed to be trying to school up with the rummies and getting along great. I wake up the morning and the rummies are all huddled up behind one on the pieces of driftwood and very little color on their faces. I know when the loose their color it’s a sign of stress or high ph. I do a weekly water change of 15 gallons and on the 3rd week I do a 20 gallon water change. The last 2 times I checked my parameters ph was 7.4-7.6,ammonia 0,Nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. My questions are when everyone is fully grown will I be overstocked? All the information I read online said 1” of fish per gallon and I calculated everyone full grown into that for my tank. Any opinions are welcome. Sorry for the length of the post I just know from experience y’all like full details on a post.

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I would be careful around the multiple species of gourami, ideally you should have more females, or stick to one species.
    Looks like a really good tank!

I would up the Rummynose definitely, but not sure about the rainbows, I have no experience with them, so maybe another member can help with that!
    You shouldn't be overstocked.

3. OP
    OP
    K

I have a friend at work that her daughter has recently become obsessed with aquariums lol. I think I’m going to give her daughter the gold Gourami. And yes I plan on have at least 10 rummies. The guy at PetCo just placed an order Thursday and should be in this coming Thursday. Thanks for your help.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Great!

5. OP
    OP
    K

PetCo let me return the fish for store credit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice