40 Gallon Breeder Tank Bedroom Build.

PonzLL
Note: I was originally planning to get a 40L but Petco only sells breeders, so I got that instead. This thread was made before I found that out, and I'm leaving posts below unedited. I modified the title to better reflect the current tank.

So I just found out that Petco is still having their sale on tanks, so a 40L is $50.

I'll be putting this in our room on the dresser. Now the dresser is wood not pressboard but it's still a concern. That's why I went with 40 instead of 55. At least it's against an outside wall and is going to be perpendicular to the joists in the basement below.

So anyway, it'll be a tropical freshwater tank, and I'm not sure what'll go in it yet.

Today I'll get the tank and then go on the hunt for some wood and some sort of gravel or something for the bottom.

Here's a wishlist I put together of supplies. Please make any suggestions for things you might swap out. I prefer a HOB filter for the white noise while sleeping. I'm hoping to do a DIY CO2 system and will be growing plenty of live pants, but none that are too demanding.

Your List

If the list doesn't let you see it I can post the individual links here if that's allowed.

Also I assumed new tank = new thread but if not I can combine this with my other tank thread.

ValerieAdams
Personally, I'd get the Coralife Power center, it was two daytime outlets, two night time and 4 all the time. I'd also maybe add an ammonia source to your list. I used Dr. Tim's but whatever will work as long as it's pure ammonia! I'd also go with sand for the substrate as cories and kuhlis like it much better and they seem to be popular choices for bottom dwellers. Also the API master kit if you don't have it

PonzLL
Thank you. Personally not a fan of most aquariums that aren't your standard rectangle setup, plus I like to tinker with it a bit!

I have a bottle of ammonia to help cycle, though in the past I've also had luck with the piece of frozen shrimp as well. I'm using pool filter sand in my other 2 tanks and like working with it, but may end up grabbing some stones from around the house instead too, or maybe combining both. I've got my old API master kit that's still working well too

IHaveADogToo
If you already have an established tank up and running, just run the filter for your new tank as a secondary filter on the existing tank for a week or so. The beneficial bacteria from your tank will spread onto the new filter, then you can transfer that filter to the new tank and it's instantly cycled.

ValerieAdams
Thank you. Personally not a fan of most aquariums that aren't your standard rectangle setup, plus I like to tinker with it a bit!

I have a bottle of ammonia to help cycle, though in the past I've also had luck with the piece of frozen shrimp as well. I'm using pool filter sand in my other 2 tanks and like working with it, but may end up grabbing some stones from around the house instead too, or maybe combining both. I've got my old API master kit that's still working well too
If you clicked on the link that said Coralife, it wasn't what I was talking about lol. What I was talking about is a timer like you have on your list but it's bigger and has daytime/nighttime/all the time outlets.

PonzLL
If you already have an established tank up and running, just run the filter for your new tank as a secondary filter on the existing tank for a week or so. The beneficial bacteria from your tank will spread onto the new filter, then you can transfer that filter to the new tank and it's instantly cycled.

Well my other two tanks are that far along that I'd leech from them, and besides I think this tank is going to be a bit of a project I take my time with so I'll have some time to get it cycled. I'd like to get some good plant growth going before adding fish I think!

If you clicked on the link that said Coralife, it wasn't what I was talking about lol. What I was talking about is a timer like you have on your list but it's bigger and has daytime/nighttime/all the time outlets.

Oh geez, I thought you were talking about a timer but then I clicked the link and left a bit confused! That's an awesome timer and I was looking for something with more outlets. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll probably go that route!

ValerieAdams
Oh geez, I thought you were talking about a timer but then I clicked the link and left a bit confused! That's an awesome timer and I was looking for something with more outlets. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll probably go that route!
Lol yeah, it randomly links things all the time, I don't understand it. But I love that timer, and it's not a terrible price

PonzLL
Well, aqueon doesn'td make a 40 long anymore apparently. I grabbed a 40 breeder and honestly I'm kinda digging the shape and size of it!
IMG_20180724_154303-1214x1192.jpg

PonzLL
I went with black blasting sand, and used some black rocks I had + a couple larger light rocks for contrast. Currently the tank is cold and there's lots of condensation, but I've got some ammonia and a filter going at least. I'd like a nice piece of driftwood and of course some plants, but I want the water to clear and cool down first. I also need lighting before adding the plants. Next plan is to switch to some blackout curtains so I don't get mega algae!

2018-07-24 20.58.42.jpg

ValerieAdams
I went with black blasting sand, and used some black rocks I had + a couple larger light rocks for contrast. Currently the tank is cold and there's lots of condensation, but I've got some ammonia and a filter going at least. I'd like a nice piece of driftwood and of course some plants, but I want the water to clear and cool down first. I also need lighting before adding the plants. Next plan is to switch to some blackout curtains so I don't get mega algae!

View attachment 459356

Looking good! Sounds like a good plan

PonzLL
HI all!

I'm having trouble deciding between these two lights. I'll be using some DIY CO2 but otherwise won't really be high tech. I like to have a good amount of plants but nothing too demanding.

leaning toward the beamworks but am open to any idea you guys have. I want LEDs though, and my wife wants to make sure it has a blue-only setting because she thinks she might like to sleep with that.

PonzLL
Alright here's the hardscape! I still want a good piece of driftwood but I haven't found the right one at the right price yet! I'm not sure exactly what plants to add yet but I have time. I also want to put up a black background or something

2018-07-25 20.03.26.jpg .

ValerieAdams
Alright here's the hardscape! I still want a good piece of driftwood but I haven't found the right one at the right price yet! I'm not sure exactly what plants to add yet but I have time. I also want to put up a black background or something

View attachment 459675 .

I love it!

PonzLL
Dang I goofed I guess

I ordered: heater, light, purigen, thermometer, and a timer. The problem is that since I planned to get a 40L tank instead of a 40B, the light in my wishlist was the 48" long version, not the 36", so I accidentally ordered the wrong one and gotta pay to ship it back lol. Oh well it all comes in today and then the new light should be here Sunday. No real harm done, and it's not like I need the light for cycling. I don't even have plants yet!

PonzLL
Day 4 of cycling. I got he heater in and water cranked up to 80. Pretty impressed and glad I went with 200w since it's an outer wall and close to a window that I sometimes keep open on 50 degree nights. Last night was 55 and it had no problem keeping it at 80 all night. Debating whether to keep it at that side or bring it to the filter side. Any thoughts? Right now it's in that awkward position only until I get a power strip and can put it wherever I want.

Lights come in tomorrow, and then I can start looking for some plants!

2018-07-28 11.37.39.jpg

PonzLL
Few changes...

1) Lights for the 40L came in. I love the way they look and how bright they are. The blue setting is cool, I'm interested to see how it looks at night time.

2) I mounted some power strips on both sides of the dresser. Later I'm going to attach the cords better to hide things.

3) I put timers on all 3 tank lights.

4) I switched the old and new jarrarium sides so that I could hang the light by the new one.

2018-07-29 14.08.53-1.jpg

PonzLL
I am in love with the blue light at night. Can't wait to get this thing planted and stocked!

PonzLL
On Sunday I checked ammonia and it was 2ppm. Monday night I checked and it was at 0. Seems a bit fast, but whatever. I dosed up to 4ppm again.

Come home from work today and the 4ppm ammonia is not 0? How is that possible already?

Also after that I checked nitrite and the water instantly turned purple, so they're really high which I guess makes sense.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I've done this. What do I do at this point? Is it ok to have tons of nitrite? Should I bring ammonia back up to 4ppm?

At what point is this thing cycled? I assume when I dose ammonia to 4, and the next day ammonia and nitrite are 0?

What could make this thing start going through ammonia this fast in only a week? I didn't add anything that would have bacteria from another tank so I'm pretty confused.

JasmineMcG
On Sunday I checked ammonia and it was 2ppm. Monday night I checked and it was at 0. Seems a bit fast, but whatever. I dosed up to 4ppm again.

Come home from work today and the 4ppm ammonia is not 0? How is that possible already?

Also after that I checked nitrite and the water instantly turned purple, so they're really high which I guess makes sense.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I've done this. What do I do at this point? Is it ok to have tons of nitrite? Should I bring ammonia back up to 4ppm?

At what point is this thing cycled? I assume when I dose ammonia to 4, and the next day ammonia and nitrite are 0?

What could make this thing start going through ammonia this fast in only a week? I didn't add anything that would have bacteria from another tank so I'm pretty confused.
Mine went to the nitrite stage pretty quickly to. I think its waiting for nitrite to convert to nitrate that is the long part. And from what ive been told don't do a water change until you have nitrate and no nitrite

PonzLL
My nitrites came down so I did a 50% water change and went out and got my first fish, an opaline gourami! He is so freaking cool lol

Right now he's darting around his giant empty tank just pecking at the ground and moss balls looking for something to eat. There were mosquito larvae in the tank yesterday and he made quick work of them haha

So I'll be adding 15 or so cherry barbs in the coming weeks. My LFS is going to order them for me. I want a little school of cories but not sure which kind will look great on the black bottom.

If I get guppies will the opaline gourami keep the fry under control?

edit: Lights came on, so here's a pic of this bad boi (or girl, can someone tell me which lol)

Here's a video too

2018-08-04 13.47.36-2.jpg

Hunter1
HI all!

I'm having trouble deciding between these two lights. I'll be using some DIY CO2 but otherwise won't really be high tech. I like to have a good amount of plants but nothing too demanding.

leaning toward the beamworks but am open to any idea you guys have. I want LEDs though, and my wife wants to make sure it has a blue-only setting because she thinks she might like to sleep with that.
I have the Beamworks (Xs 3) and they give me good plant growth. No issues yet but they are only 6-8 months old.

PonzLL
I have the Beamworks (Xs 3) and they give me good plant growth. No issues yet but they are only 6-8 months old.

Thanks! That's the one I ended up going with, and then on my new 10 gallon shrimp tank I went with the other, so now I can compare.

PonzLL
We are good to go!! Came home and nitrite went from 5+ to 0! Time to go get a few more fish to move in with Long John Silver!

ValerieAdams
Yay!!

Lindsay Huff
My nitrites came down so I did a 50% water change and went out and got my first fish, an opaline gourami! He is so freaking cool lol

Right now he's darting around his giant empty tank just pecking at the ground and moss balls looking for something to eat. There were mosquito larvae in the tank yesterday and he made quick work of them haha

So I'll be adding 15 or so cherry barbs in the coming weeks. My LFS is going to order them for me. I want a little school of cories but not sure which kind will look great on the black bottom.

If I get guppies will the opaline gourami keep the fry under control?

edit: Lights came on, so here's a pic of this bad boi (or girl, can someone tell me which lol)

Here's a video too

View attachment 463116
Your gourami will probably help keep the fry under control. I know my DG made short work of my platy fry! Albino cories would look so pretty on that black sand!!!

PonzLL
Oh cool thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure how many fish to get tonight. I don't mind adding a few too many in one go and having to do bigger water changes for a bit. Might not even need to do that because I have way more bacteria than needed for the one fish I have now.

I was thinking 9 harlequin rasboras and 3 guppies, 1 male and 2 females. After a week or two, whatever is needed, I'd get a few more rasboras and then some cories. I really think you're on to something with the albino cories on the black sand!

Lindsay Huff
Oh cool thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure how many fish to get tonight. I don't mind adding a few too many in one go and having to do bigger water changes for a bit. Might not even need to do that because I have way more bacteria than needed for the one fish I have now.

I was thinking 9 harlequin rasboras and 3 guppies, 1 male and 2 females. After a week or two, whatever is needed, I'd get a few more rasboras and then some cories. I really think you're on to something with the albino cories on the black sand!
That’s going to look so cool!!!

PonzLL
I wonder how a school of 6-8 black ruby barbs would do with guppies and an opaline gourami?

Lindsay Huff
I wonder how a school of 6-8 black ruby barbs would do with guppies and an opaline gourami?
I don’t think the barbs would do well with the guppies, as they can be aggressive, and it could honestly go either way. If you have a big enough school of them they’ll probably be okay. Just keep an eye on everyone and make sure there’s lots of hiding places!

PonzLL
I'd rather have the barbs in the 40 then, and put guppies in my 20 with the harlequin rasboras later on!

Lindsay Huff
I'd rather have the barbs in the 40 then, and put guppies in my 20 with the harlequin rasboras later on!
That would work!

PonzLL
ok

I went to the LFS and the owner told me it was ok to get more larger gouramis but only if I had around 4 total, so I got 3 more. Hopefully he's right and they won't kill eachother? I can't remember what the other type is, but it's orange. I got 2 of those and 1 more opaline.

I also got 3 orange and black mollies but I can't remember what type those are either ugh!

Since the first gourami was named Long John Silver, we named the other 3 Captain Flint, Jack Rackam, and Charles Vane. lol

2018-08-09 19.21.32.jpg
2018-08-09 19.21.23.jpg

Someone tell me if I messed up bad or if I'll be alright

Lindsay Huff
ok

I went to the LFS and the owner told me it was ok to get more larger gouramis but only if I had around 4 total, so I got 3 more. Hopefully he's right and they won't kill eachother? I can't remember what the other type is, but it's orange. I got 2 of those and 1 more opaline.

I also got 3 orange and black mollies but I can't remember what type those are either ugh!

Since the first gourami was named Long John Silver, we named the other 3 Captain Flint, Jack Rackam, and Charles Vane. lol

View attachment 465099 View attachment 465100
The mollies look like lyre tales!
Just keep a super close eye on the gouramis.

PonzLL
Thank you, that's what the mollies were. I love mollies, they're so friendly! years ago when I had dalmation mollies, they both ate right out of my hands!

So far the gouramis seem ok. The one I had to begin with is giving a bit of chase, then doing what looks like a light kiss when she catches one. I'll keep an eye on her.

Lindsay Huff
Thank you, that's what the mollies were. I love mollies, they're so friendly! years ago when I had dalmation mollies, they both ate right out of my hands!

So far the gouramis seem ok. The one I had to begin with is giving a bit of chase, then doing what looks like a light kiss when she catches one. I'll keep an eye on her.
Mollies are so pretty! I used to keep them when I was a kid!

Hunter1
I’m very skeptical of the 4 gouramis in a 40.

I wish you the best.

I added a pearl to my 36 that had a pair of honeys in it. The honeys stayed deep in the vegetation, only coming out to eat. The pair is now in a 20L, and very happy.

But similar sized gouramis might do better??

We are good to go!! Came home and nitrite went from 5+ to 0! Time to go get a few more fish to move in with Long John Silver!

Congratulations!!

PonzLL
I’m very skeptical of the 4 gouramis in a 40.

I wish you the best.

I added a pearl to my 36 that had a pair of honeys in it. The honeys stayed deep in the vegetation, only coming out to eat. The pair is now in a 20L, and very happy.

But similar sized gouramis might do better??

Thank you for the anecdote! The existing opaline started to get pretty pushy with the others, so I stuck him in time out (breeder basket) to float around so the others can get settled in, and it hopefully make him relax a bit. The 3 new gouramis and the 3 mollies are getting along great at the moment, so I see this ending one of two ways:

1) Everyone gets along when Long John Silver gets out of fishy prison

or

2) I take Long John and the other opaline gourami (to be safe) back to the fish store and trade them for 3-4 more of those awesome mollies, and then have the mollies and 2 honey gouramis until the next batch if fish is added.

PonzLL
I just called the LFS and explained the situation and he said I could bring back the two opaline gouramis that are causing trouble with the rest, and swap for something.

Do you think it would be ok to swap them for 2 more honey gourami's, or might having 4 in that tank cause issues? The two I have now seem pretty docile in there so I'm thinking it should be fine, just not sure and I know you guys have experience with this stuff.

PonzLL
So this is what I ended up doing. I took back BOTH opaline gouramis

I got a honey gourami, another orange molly, and 3 dalmation mollies. I'm not sure the sex on the dalmations or the new gourami, but the new orange mollie is a female.

So in total so far I have:

3 honey gouramis
4 lyretail mollies (1m 3f)
3 dalmation mollies

After a week or so I'm going to add 15 cherry barbs I think, if the tank can support that many. If not cherry barbs, definitely a big school of fish still.

Hunter1
I think 3 honeys will be fine in a tank that size.

You may need a fish to eat fry, or make plans to buy more tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

5 6 7 8
Replies
Views
Al913
Replies
Views
jaydivingboard
5 6 7 8
Replies
Views
bigemrg