40 Gallon Tank 40 Gallon Breeder Stocking

sielaffchris

Active Member
Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Location
Upstate, New York
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plans for a 40 gallon breeder...

High pH and Hard water (7.8, 11kH & 10GH)

I want the do a planted tank with rooted plants. So, not just an anubias and fern tank.

The focal point for the tank will be a large school of Bloodfin Tetras (they do better in hard water/high pH than other tetras).

Suggestions for a bottom shoal?

Also, is there another single (or pair) species you would have in the mid/top range?
 

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
261
Reaction score
219
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
sielaffchris said:
Plans for a 40 gallon breeder...

High pH and Hard water (7.8, 11kH & 10GH)

I want the do a planted tank with rooted plants. So, not just an anubias and fern tank.

The focal point for the tank will be a large school of Bloodfin Tetras (they do better in hard water/high pH than other tetras).

Suggestions for a bottom shoal?

Also, is there another single (or pair) species you would have in the mid/top range?
What temp are you planning on running it at? I’m just setting up a 40 breeder, I have high ph at 8.3 but very soft water, I remineralize to get it to about 6 or 7 gH. Will be running about 77/78 and I will be stocking Bolivian rams, Pearl Gouramis, harlequins, and Sterbai cories.
I think bloodfins are a great choice for a tetra and I believe you can run them at a cooler temperature, if so you can’t go wrong with Corys for a bottom dwellers.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
sielaffchris

sielaffchris

Active Member
Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Location
Upstate, New York
Experience
5 to 10 years
CTYankee79 said:
What temp are you planning on running it at? I’m just setting up a 40 breeder, I have high ph at 8.3 but very soft water, I remineralize to get it to about 6 or 7 gH. Will be running about 77/78 and I will be stocking Bolivian rams, Pearl Gouramis, harlequins, and Sterbai cories.
I think bloodfins are a great choice for a tetra and I believe you can run them at a cooler temperature, if so you can’t go wrong with Corys for a bottom dwellers.
Looks like 70-80F is the range, so I'd run it anywhere in there to find a sweet spot for the stock.

I was thinking a few Rams (GBR OR Bolivian) would compliment the Bloodfins.

As for Corey's, Julii or Skunk Corey's seem to do better in a higher pH tank my. I also love Pygmies, so that is a consideration.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
sielaffchris

sielaffchris

Active Member
Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
16
Location
Upstate, New York
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pariah said:
Corys are very entertaining bottom dwellers. We've kept them before in harder/alkaline water than ideal. Stability seems better than being 100% exact on ph and hardness.

If your water was softer/acidic, I think marbled hatchetfish would look neat on top.

Have you thought about using RODI water?
Coreys seem to be a great option. Looking into them.

I'd live to have some hatchet fish some day, but they just don't fit my water parameters. Maybe some day, just not now.

I've run RO units in the past and for me it just ends up being too much work and I don't want to pay for it. I'm happy to just find fish that like my water well enough without tinkering.
 

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
261
Reaction score
219
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
sielaffchris said:
Looks like 70-80F is the range, so I'd run it anywhere in there to find a sweet spot for the stock.

I was thinking a few Rams (GBR OR Bolivian) would compliment the Bloodfins.

As for Corey's, Julii or Skunk Corey's seem to do better in a higher pH tank my. I also love Pygmies, so that is a consideration.
Maybe stick with the Bolivian Rams as the GBRs like warmer water than most corys.
I like pygmies too, especially Habrosus.
Let us know what you decide and good luck!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
92
Guests online
2,256
Total visitors
2,348

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom