40 gallon breeder or 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by troyvsc, Dec 31, 2012.

1. troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

I currently have a 20G long and am looking to get a larger 2nd tank.

I bought a 40g breeder (still brand new, not used yet) but am thinking about returning it an exchange for a 55g.

I have purchased a Fluval 306 (rated up to 75g) and have a 250w heater both purchased for the new 40b. I am also picking up 80lbs of sand (Black Beauty) this week. The only thing I have not purchased is the lights. I have a table for the breeder but would have no problem building a DIY stand for the 55. So all in all cost isn't a major factor between the two because of the Petco $1 per gallon sale right now and I believe I have most of the equipment that would be suitable for either or.

Either way it would be a community tank with plants and driftwood. Stocking as follows (5) Bleeding Heart Tetras*, (4)Zebra Loaches, Possibly (5) Cory's, pair of GBR's, a few male guppies* and platies* (*)means from the 20L.

My question is what are your opinions of the tanks themselves? I kind of like the shape of the 40b but like the thought of having an extra 15 gallons to work with as far as stocking and general water care.

Thanks for any advice.

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The 40b actually has .5 sq foot more of a footprint than the 55g. The extra gallonage on the 55g is nice, but the 40b has a much nicer footprint for planting and aquascaping. Since you aren't keeping large fish I wouldn't worry about the difference in gallons.

3. OP
    OP
    troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Thanks, Yeah I am trying to keep the fish sizes down. My father has an 80 that has 3 kissing gouramis and 3 silver dollars that have been in for 8+ years and they are huge and they really prevent him from getting smaller fish be cause of the aggression of the bigger fish. I don't want that problem.

I like my 20 long because I get that bigger surface area and footprint to to aquascape in then other tanks with the same gallon size.

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I personally like the 40B over the 55. IT is also easier to work in as it is a bit shorter. The only downfall I have found is that with live plants some of them that get nice and tall are not quite as happy, thou the fish seem to appreciate the larger tank space.

5. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I like the 40b better too. I just broke down my 55g in preference to the 40gb. The 40g has more space for my plants.

6. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i like 40b better also i find it easier to light evenly for live plants.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you wanted to keep larger schooling fish, then I would say the 55. But for smaller fish, I suppose the 40 will be fine. I agree, the number of gallons isn't all that important - it's the dimensions. While the footprints are almost the same, some kinds of fish won't use the extra width like they would the extra length.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice