40 Gallon Breeder Ideas (angelfish?)

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey there! I've just come into possession of a 40 gallon breeder tank and I'm not sure what to stock it with! I'll be using some established filter media from another tank to cycle it but I also need input on filtration. Should I go with a hob filter? I've only ever used sponge filters because I've only kept 20 gallon and under.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure on the minimum size for angels but I'd like to do a community tank probably. I'll take any ideas! Thank you!

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe I could build a larger sponge filter for the tank. the filters I'm using currently are only really large enough for 20 gallons I believe and I'd rather not do two filters.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would do canister filter!

Personally I have a 40 breeder and running a AC110, might be the fact I have a big filter, but it is really noisy. The main problem is when the water from the outflow hits the water in the tank which creates that waterfall sound. My tank is in my room so when my water gets a bit low, it becomes hard to sleep due to the noise!

If you don't want an angelfish you could do a pearl gourami which are beautiful fish! Also the stocking that TexasDomer gave, you should have the temp at 78F

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what about instead of the gbr I do multiple angels? and what are your thoughts on Congo tetras? I definitely want to do cories though I loooove cories.

Okay new idea. How does this sound?

2 adult angels (a pair. i'd get around 4 juvies and then rehome the extra two)
10x cories (sterbai maybe?)
10x congo tetras
1 bn pleco (my lfs has in-store bred albino bn plecos!)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would only do one angel, especially since you want Congo tetras - they're bigger and will take up a good amount of space in this short tank.

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really do want a pair so I can switch to a smaller tetra like rummynose! what are some other small tetras that I could use so I know my options

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why do you want a pair? Are you going to raise fry? Do you have extra tanks for that? Do you have a back up tank/plan in case they stop getting along?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The problem with angels in a 40 is getting a pair to live together. You can't just throw 2 angels in and make it work. They have a better chance of fighting than pairing. Even if they are of the opposite sex there is a good chance they won't like each other and still fight. If you wanted angels in a 40 breeder, what I would suggest is getting 5 or 6 angels at a young age and put them in there. Once a pair forms, remove the others then finish stocking your tank.

Long term I'd shoot for something like this

2 Angels
8-10 Lemon Tetras
8 Aeneus Corydoras
1 Clown Pleco

@bizaliz3 do you keep any angels in 40b?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tyguy7760 said:
@bizaliz3 do you keep any angels in 40b?
I only use my 40 breeder to grow out babies. I had a breeding pair in there once but it was reserved for just them....

Going for a pair if breeding isn't the ultimate goal isn't always the best choice. Breeding pairs often turn on each other in my experience. So it doesn't automatically mean the angels will get along for life. And a breeding pair would make life pretty miserable for the tank mates.

A 40 breeder is large enough for two in my opiniom....but you will have to prepare yourself for rehoming at some point if the angels stop getting along.

Edit... I just want to add that if you get them when they're really little you'll have a lot of time before you have to worry about aggression.

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My bedroom is slowly turning into a fish room so yes I will have tanks to raise fry if they do happen. I have a tendency to at least attempt to breed any fish I keep, it completely fascinates me. I'll have a couple of sterilite tubs at around 30 gallons each for fry growout. I'm also going to have a rack with a 29 gallon add a 20 long. as for rehoming, I live 5 minutes from a fantastic lfs that often will take fish from local breeders for store credit so there shouldn't be too much issue with rehoming when the time comes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom