40 Gallon Breeder- Do I need an air pump and bubble wall?

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by NighttHawk, Jul 4, 2016.

1. N

NighttHawk Valued Member Member

I just bought a 40 gallon breeder yesterday. I have a filter i used 1-2 months ago with 125 gallons per hour and I just ordered a new penguin 350 gallons per hour bio wheel filter so 475 gph of filtration over x10 recommended filtration. I also just bought a 40-60 gallon air pump with flexible bubble wall tube and was wondering if I needed it or if i should just return it. If i do decide to keep it It would have to be a few hours out of the day because my dad says its going to run too much electricity + the 2 filters + 2 lights on tank. I was also thinking once its cycled of getting 1 black moor and 1 oranda and maybe 1 more of either max with about 5 or more ghost shrimps and a 1-2 snails. Any tips? Never kept a tank but seen alot of how to videos on youtube and some research. Also can anyone also help me with starting the cycle? The filter is arriving in 3 days. Thanks!

2. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

You don't need an air pump, 40B has a rather large surface area for gas exchange. Combine that with the HOB filter's surface agitation your tank will be fine.

I'm not a coldwater guy but I'd guess the ghost shrimp would get eaten and they also need water above 72f which would be the max you should keep coldwater fish at so in short, their temperatures aren't compatible.

Also your profile says you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. It is ESSENTIAL that you know and understand the nitrogen cycle before you attempt to keep fish. If you do not read up on it and fail to cycle your tank, your fish WILL die.

3. OP
    OP
    N

NighttHawk Valued Member Member

I maintain the room temp at 74-77 but most of the time at 75. When I get the fancy goldfish they will be 1-3 inches so doubt they will be eaten maybe when they grown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice