40 gallon breeder build

connorjs1004

So, my tank finally is just about done aside from adding a few more fish which I have already ordered online. Since its finally done, I figured it was time to make a thread about the build.

7/7/21: Tank was purchased at half price at the DPG sale at Petco. Also picked up a stand and glass lid with it.
7/11/21: Set up tank and filled with 4 bags of Carib Sea eco complete.

1630271524681.jpeg
7/20/21: Package from aquarium co-op arrived which included 2 sponge filters as well as: 2 Anubias Nana petite, 2 Italian valisneria, 2 Brazilian pennywort, 1 amazon sword, and 3 Cryptocoryne parva. It also came with root tabs and easy green fertilizer. I ended up using about 16 total tabs for the tank. After the root tabs were in and the tank was filled up, I added 3 platys from another tank to help begin the cycle.
8/3/21: About two weeks or so the tank was cycled. During this time, I did water changes every other day of about 40% and dosed prime when I did this. Also, the plants all started to melt. At this two-week point, the valisneria and amazon sword had already shown signs of growth after the melt, but one of the pennywort completely disintegrated into nothing which was disappointing . One of the Cryptocoryne came uprooted as well actually looked like it was rotting.
8/4/21: Purchased a school of 15 serpae tetra and removed the platys from the tank. All of them looked healthy at purchase time and they are all still alive at this point.
8/10/21: Purchased two Bolivian rams which I was told by Petco worker that were male and female, but I am unsure of if that was true because one of them picks at the other. I created a thread about this, Sexing Bolivian rams | Ram Cichlid Forum | 507272
but no one replied to it :( lol.

1630273170287.jpeg
Both have survived and seem to be doing be healthy although I still haven't seen the one up close in the picture eat yet. I assume he eats after I walk away from the tank otherwise he would have died after nearly 3 weeks.
8/25/21: Package containing 3 spider wood, duckweed, and drip acclimator finally arrived after almost two weeks. I even paid extra to have it shipped within 2 days but it didn't.
8/27/21: After two days of soaking, the spider wood was finally sunk and ready to go into the tank. I drained the tank to just above the sponge filters so they would stay submersed. Before adding the wood, I attached the two Anubias to them with aquarium safe glue. I made a mess with this and got it all over my hands which still hasn't come off lol. Once in was in and steady, I took my singular pennywort and separated the two different stems so that it wouldn't look so empty in the back where the first one died off. I also added the duckweed.

1630273673333.jpeg
And lastly, today 8/29/21, I purchased 5 nerite snails to help clean off all the algae on the glass and filters.

1630273948882.png

1630273997694.png

1630274044449.png
I also have ordered 6 XL amanos from Aquahuna which should being arriving over the next week. And whenever my lfs finally gets in some pearl gourami, I will be grabbing 5 of them. Maybe in the future, I will try and grab a school of rummynose tetra, but we'll see how the tank is doing before adding those.
The last thing I have planned is getting 2 Cryptocoryne wenditi green and adding 1 to each front corner of the tank. Let me know if theres anything you would recommend I change or just thoughts in general!

kallililly1973

Aside from adding a good amount more plants thats a really nice setup. Good luck!

connorjs1004

Aside from adding a good amount more plants thats a really nice setup. Good luck!
Aside from the 2 crypts I was already planning on getting and probably 1 more Anubias for the 3rd piece of wood, what else do you think I should add?

kallililly1973

Aside from the 2 crypts I was already planning on getting and probably 1 more Anubias for the 3rd piece of wood, what else do you think I should add?
You could do a couple more Anubis tied to the DW or some Java fern tied to it or some stem plants in random places maybe some floating plants … the 40 breeder has a great footprint for a variety of things

TheAnglerAquarist

I would reccomend 3-4 pearls, 5 might be caramped

connorjs1004

I would reccomend 3-4 pearls, 5 might be caramped
I originally was only going to have 3 pearls, but I believe it was jettspapa that recommended to get more. Also, sadly the Bolivian ram that wasn't eating passed away a two days ago, so there is a little more room in the tank

connorjs1004

Wow, this past week has literally been awful for this tank.
Saturday, the 11th I took a trip to the lfs and eyed a group of congo tetras. They all looked healthy and the worker told me they had been there for two weeks and he hadn't lost any. I purchased 8 of them, but before I did, I noticed some signs of ich in another tank. The worker kept reassuring me that the tanks weren't on the same circulation of water and that it was fine. I was tired and dumb, so I just decided to buy them anyway.

Come back to today, the 19th, 6 of them have died some with clear signs of ich, others I am not so sure about. I also have lost two serpae tetras so far one from ich, one from swim bladder issues. I also lost a nerite snail, which managed to find the cm gap in the lid and crawled out and dried up on the floor next to the tank. Within an hour, I go downstairs and what do I see in the tank, another congo tetra laying on its back practically dead, another serpae swimming upside down, and white dots on several serpaes. On top of that, several plants have died and there appears to be some type of fungus growing in the tank.

Even with meds and several water changes, fish are still drastically dying which really annoys me. And the cherry on top is that there appears to be a spawn on the side of my sponge filter, and I have no way of caring for whatever they are if they do end up hatching.

Really is the hate part of the love/hate relationship I have with this hobby when you know you're doing everything you can, and yet you're still losing fish :(

AP1

Very sorry to hear and do hope things get better soon!

TheAnglerAquarist

Very sorry. At this point I reccomend a really hardy fish after you get the others figured out. That ick was from stress

connorjs1004

Very sorry. At this point I reccomend a really hardy fish after you get the others figured out. That ick was from stress
How do you know its from stress?
I thought it was just because they had it when I bought them

jinjerJOSH22

How do you know its from stress?
I thought it was just because they had it when I bought them
Ich(which is a parasite) as well as lots of common fish disease often come along with heathy fish. They simply don't show symptoms because their immune systems repress them. Stress weakens immune systems and this is often when you see outbreaks of things like Ich.

I wish you luck! I know the feeling and it's not a pleasant one.

connorjs1004

Ich(which is a parasite) as well as lots of common fish disease often come along with heathy fish. They simply don't show symptoms because their immune systems repress them. Stress weakens immune systems and this is often when you see outbreaks of things like Ich.

I wish you luck! I know the feeling and it's not a pleasant one.
Thanks!
I hope when this ends I'm still left with some fish. Overnight I lost another 2 :(

connorjs1004

A little update:
So many things went wrong in this tank so that I decided to start over.
I have sand that Im going to use instead of the gravel because Im planning on adding some corys or kuhli loaches.
I also ordered a black background for the tank
Tomorrow Im planning on place an order from the co-op of some plants and as well as another light.
Ordering some more driftwood as well
Stocking wise, I bought 5 pearl gouramis a few weeks ago which all seem to be doing well.
I am surrendering the serpae tetras and singular Congo tetra back to the lfs store because I just am not the biggest fan anymore and feel they dont look good with the rest of the tank.
After I surrender them, I will be purchasing a school of espei Rasbora and neon tetras. Probably 12 of each. And after that either some kuhli loaches or panda corys, but Im unsure of which would be better for the tank

Fish99

A little update:
I have sand that Im going to use instead of the gravel because Im planning on adding some corys or kuhli loaches.
Tomorrow Im planning on place an order from the co-op of some plants and as well as another light.
Stocking wise, I bought 5 pearl gouramis a few weeks ago which all seem to be doing well.
I am surrendering the serpae tetras and singular Congo tetra back to the lfs store because I just am not the biggest fan anymore and feel they dont look good with the rest of the tank.
After I surrender them, I will be purchasing a school of espei Rasbora and neon tetras. Probably 12 of each. And after that either some kuhli loaches or panda corys, but Im unsure of which would be better for the tank
As many problems as you are having I would question you filter setup. The #1 problem with fish and diseases is not enough filter to keep bad bacteria at bay. You can test and see zero nitrates and nitrites but still have bad bacteria stressing the fish. Anyway, it's hard to keep up in the thread. What do you use for bio filtration and how many fish?
Have you read up on the aquarium cycle and how it works. I think you need to slow down and learn a bit..

connorjs1004

As many problems as you are having I would question you filter setup. The #1 problem with fish and diseases is not enough filter to keep bad bacteria at bay. You can test and see zero nitrates and nitrites but still have bad bacteria stressing the fish. Anyway, it's hard to keep up in the thread. What do you use for bio filtration and how many fish?
Have you read up on the aquarium cycle and how it works. I think you need to slow down and learn a bit..
two sponge filters and a hob filter
Fish in cycle was done for about 3 weeks until no ammonia and nitrites.
Everything was fine until I Picked ip a few Congo tetras from a petco and they had ich and it spread throughout the tank. Up until that, I hadn't lost a single fish.
And the reason I am redoing it is because somehow there are midge flies in the tank and theres really no way to get rid of them besides breaking down the tank and throughly disinfecting everything

TheAnglerAquarist

A little update:
I feel like it would be better to have a school of 1 fish. It just looks less random. I would go with the rasboras

connorjs1004

I know that's what a lot of people suggest on here, and I have done that in the past, but Im jus trying to do something I haven't done before because I wasn't the happiest with the way it was with only one larger school.
I personally just like to look at the tank and see a bunch if different colored fish swimming about :)

TheAnglerAquarist

I know that's what a lot of people suggest on here, and I have done that in the past, but Im jus trying to do something I haven't done before because I wasn't the happiest with the way it was with only one larger school.
I personally just like to look at the tank and see a bunch if different colored fish swimming about :)
You do you!

SamMe

I think you might enjoy the pandas more just for the fact that the kuhlis tend to hide. Good luck with whatever you decide!

connorjs1004

I think you might enjoy the pandas more just for the fact that the kuhlis tend to hide. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Ok, pandas it is!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
Plecolover4477
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies