40 Gallon Breeder Build

1. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

So today I went to the Dollar Per Gallon Sale. I had planned for a 30 gallon standard. They don't stock this size. Long story short, I got a 40 gallon breeder.

I plan to use Black Diamond Blasting Sand, a clear glass top, and a 36" Beamswork light.

What kind/size heater and filter should I look into? So far I've dealt with Aquaclear HOB filters.

Also, on stocking for a 30 I had planned
    1 Pearl Gourami
    8 Panda Cories
    8 Black Skirt Tetras
    8 Middle Schooler (neons, cherry barbs, black neons, etc.)
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    2 Bolivian Rams
    Various Snails
    Shrimp (probably Ghost maybe Amano or Cherry of some color)

How could I change this stocking in a 40 breeder, or what could I add?

Any advice in these areas, or something I may have missed is welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't believe Pearl Gouramis are temperature compatible.

3. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Been told they can be at 75. That's all I know.

4. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

That may be correct. Some say higher, others say as low as 73. I believe their ideal is higher though.

5. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Another question I have about this tank, which I believe @AngelTheGypsy forewarned me about is about bracing on this tank. Why does a 40 breeder (36"l, 18"w, 16"h) not have a brace across the top, but a 38 (36"l, 12"w, 19"h) has two braces? I have a theory, but don't know if it's correct. There's only 2 gallons of volume difference between the two tanks. However, the 38 is taller than it is wide, and a tad taller than half of it's length. This makes the water pile up more, I'd imagine putting more force on the taller sides? In the 40 breeder, it's more box shaped. This makes it more proportional all the way around. Thus the water has more room to spread it's force and weight out instead of up and directly against the glass. Did I get it right? Should I try to add a brace to my 40B, especially since I'm wanting to use a glass lid?

6. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't noticed any issues with mine, it's been filled for a month or two now.
    I think your idea of the height compared to the length and width is probably the difference. Since it's not as tall, it doesn't have as much outward force at the top.

7. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Anybody have any suggestions on heater, filtration, and/or stocking?

8. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

In mine I use an aqueon 150 watt, and a penn plax cascade 700 canister.
    In the 40 I think you could do 2 pearls, but they are warmer water fish, so I would do adolfi cories (I think they look similar to pandas) diamond tetra, cardinals, and GBR with them. The cherry barbs or black neons would still work. There are also other cories and schooling fish that would work as well. But if I remember correctly you already have the pandas and a few of the others right?

9. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I have pandas that will be transferred.

10. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

What would you say their ideal is?

11. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

On my 40b I have a sunsun 304b, plus two ac70s... one I keep for cycled media, was a spare I removed from another tank. However, I will say that using them gives me great flow for my heavily planted tank....

12. MC4RKiller Member Member

Height and glass thickness determine the need for bracing. Most 40Bs Ive owned use much thicker glass than 30longs/38s/etc.

I run a SunSun 302 and a Whisper 40 on my planted 40B, and a Aqueon 75 HOB with a Penguin 350 on my grow out 40B.

All of the fish in your list would be fine at a 76-77*F Temp. It is at the lower end for Pearls and higher end for Pandas....but certainly acceptable ranges.

13. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Just an update and future plans.

Trying to figure out how to arrange everything in the spare bedroom to include the 40B (when it's finally set up; just an empty tank on the floor for now), the 10 gallon with it's little shelf (future quarantine), a fouton, a Total Gym, and a desk. Figuring out just how little this room is. Lol.

On a plus note, also thinking about what kind of decor I want for the 40B. I've been seeing some really interesting hardscape pieces. Additionally, they're getting my girlfriend more interested in the tanks now too. So far, we've had very opposing fish stocking and decorating ideas. She informed me she wants to decorate a tank on her own. I've decided to let her decorate the betta tank (20L that will be staying in the living room where she can see and enjoy it). This delighted her because the original betta that started this whole hobby was for her. She's wanting to start with some purple artificial geode ornaments we saw, add other colors , add other whatnots, and create a "precious gem" tank with a betta, harlequin rasboras, sterbai cories (still have to convince this is the best option), and her favorite snails.

Can't wait to get it all going.

14. toolman Well Known Member Member

Got a 40b at the sale also, can't wait to see your build.

15. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Can't wait to see yours as well. I saw your thread about the leak in the 75. That sucks. At least it sounds like it can be fixed though.

16. toolman Well Known Member Member

I have a 55gal I resealed also, just sucks to have to tear it down and start over.

17. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello everybody.

Been thinking about this stocking again, and want to run some numbers by just for the bottom range. Would any of the following work?

12 Panda Cory
    3 Bolivian Rams
    1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
    3 Mystery Snails
    5 Nerite Snails

10 Panda Cory
    3 Bolivian Rams
    1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
    5 Striped Khuli Loaches
    3 Mystery Snails
    5 Nerite Snails

18. bNissan Member Member

Both of those setups look very bottom heavy to me. I am pretty new and inexperienced, so that observation could be off.

I think tanks with large shoals of a single fish look better than multiple smaller shoals of different fish. I would go with door #1 because of this, that is assuming that the stocking isn't unbalanced.

19. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I agree your stocking is all bottom. I wouldn't do more than 10 cory in this tank, mostly personal preference, and I wouldn't do cories and kuhlis both. I would add some honey gourami and a school of mid dwelling fish.

2-3 honey gourami
    10-12 small schoolers -or- 6-8 larger schoolers
    3 Bolivian rams
    8-10 panda cories
    1 albino bn pleco
    Snails

There are tons of schooling fish to choose from, like danios for smaller or skirt tetra for larger. Both have several colors available that are the same species so you could have variety in the school as well.

20. mollybabes Well Known Member Member