40 Gallon Aquarium Stock Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AGentJ2468, Jun 25, 2019.

1. AGentJ2468

AGentJ2468New MemberMember

I'm looking for what fish and plants to put into my 40 gallon tank. I want to go for a community tank and have (unique) fish and plants along with moderate maintance that would look good as the centerpiece of my room. (I would like more unique fish than tetras)

Dimensions are 36Lx18Wx16H

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Here's one idea:
    5 Rock Kribensis (Haplochromis sauvagei)
    1 bristlenose pleco
    8 Rainbowfish (whatever species you would like, chepeast are usually Australian rainbows)
    1 blue gourami
    5 porthole catfish (Dianema longibarbis)

3. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Would the aggressive behavior from the Rock Kribensis be a problem?

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

If they are a mated pair, then yes, they will be aggressive.

5. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Thank you for the info. Do you have idea for stocking a 40 gallon tank?

6. Crispii

What do you have in mind?

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

A small group of Honey Gouramies or Siamese Algae Eaters would be an interesting option from the standard tetra. I'd say 9-15 for the Honeys, or 9-12 for the SAEs. Add a bristlenose pleco for the bottom or similarly-sized species.

For plants, I suggest easy to grow plants like water lilies, dwarf sag, frogbit, anubias, Java fern, etc.

8. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

I've been looking at pencil fish as an alternative to tetras, a small group of corys along with a center piece fish like but not specifically a gourami. Along with maybe a few more fish. Kind of new to the hobby but dabbled in 10 gallon tanks in the past.

I really like the idea of honey gouramies but could I fit another school fish along with the honeys in the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
  9. Crispii

You can generally fit any shoaling fish like tetras or rasboras with honey gouramis if you get a group of around 6.

10. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

1 Blue Acara
    10 or so Cardinal tetra
    and 3 Siamese Algae eaters
    Blue Acara are full of personality.

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

They aren't aggressive, in my experience, even when breeding. They just kind of ignored the other fish all the time.

12. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

I'm wondering if this list of fish would be a good fit for my 40 gallon, tank will be heavily planted and contain caves,(made naturally) along with hideaways and tell me if its overstocked or understocked.
    -6 Bamboo Shrimp
    -1 Vampire Shrimp
    -6 Honey Gourami's
    -15 or so Harlequin Rasboras
    -2 Apple Snails
    Questions
    -What substrate would be good for the shrimp AND snails?
    -Are the Rasboras to small to be with gourami's

13. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I keep my vampire and snails on gravel and they are fine. Sand would be fine too though the vampire would likely stir it up constantly causing it to rise and cloud the water. My vampire occationally leaves big craters in the substrate, especially when he decides to launch off the ground.

With artificial caves I'd be careful with the vampire too. Mine is capable of knocking my driftwood bigger than him out of position and has knocked it onto himself at times - though he's so sturdy he never seems affected. If the caves are made of moveable rocks I'd be careful especially once he's between 5 and 6 inches like mine - mine definitely doesn't have a habit of doing this but he has at times during the months I've had him as he's quite clumsy. I've also heard people say they like a bit of company though I have mine alone - mainly as he was the only available.

I'd establish the tank a bit before adding the vampires and bamboos so they have food in the water column. The rasbora are more than fine with honeys, I have mine with pearl gourami which are bigger and they are fine. Honeys are very peaceful and don't get too big. I'm a big fan of everything you've chosen, all are really great fish/shrimp/snails.

14. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Thanks for that bundle of helpful info, do you suggest I wait a month to bring the shrimp in ( and thoughts on the snail)? And I will be introducing each of these species at different times so it doesn't effect the bio load, I think.

I also heard that vampire shrimp enjoy the company of bamboo shrimp and will often hang around them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  15. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

No problem at all! I'd probably add the shrimp last. Maybe even wait longer than a month. I never have to target feed mine as there are micro particles in the water as it's been established for long enough. If you do get them and there isn't enough food, get a powdered food and release it in front of them to let them eat. I sometimes feed my fish Novotabs which are like sera o-nip tabs. It's a food that can stick to the glass. If you just drop that to the bottom of the tank, as the fish eat it, it crumples up and particles float in the current. My vampire loves that.

Just be prepared as when a vampire is big it poos quite a bit. It's definitely worth it all at the end of the day though as it's just amazing to have.

I feed my snails veggies and they eat fish food too so they are fine to add as long as you target feed them. I also feed my shrimp, snails, biofilm eating fish bacter AE. It improves biofilm growth in the tank so shrimp and snails have something natural to eat.
    I've heard that too though I have no experience with it. I'm sure you will be fine. They like to fan together so if he does that with them it'd be perfect.

16. OP
    OP
    AGentJ2468

Thank you for all this info, I think you've pretty much cleared up everything I was hazy about (and more!)at the moment. I'll make sure to look up more on the "bactor AE".