40 Gallon Angelfish stocking?

Violetskies

I have a 40 gallon breeder, and I'm getting my mom an angelfish for her birthday. But I want to make sure that a breeder is okay, since angelfish get tall. I would also have a few pretty guppies and some pygmy cory cats. I've heard that angelfish might snack on tiny fish, so I'm also wondering if pygmy cories would be too small? btw I would remove guppy fry until they grew a bit.

MikeRad89

An angel is fine in a 40 gallon, even though a bit more height would be preferred. They won't eat the other fish, their mouths are tiny.

AquaticQueen

I don't think the pygmy corys would last very long once the angel gets bigger but the guppies might get along with them, though I have heard they will tear a guppies find off.

Violetskies

I'm actually getting panda cories because my mom decided they'd look better in the tank lol, so that's good. I'll have to watch out for the guppies to make sure they don't get attacked, but I have a spare 20 gallon tank that I can set up just in case. Thanks!

AquaticQueen

If you wanted you could add a school. Here are some ideas that come to mind that the angel won't eat.
X-ray tetras
Black phantom tetras
Black neon tetras
If you wanted, you could also do a pair of GBRs but that would rule out the x-ray tetras due to temperature preferences. You would have to keep the water at 80-81 degrees to suit everyone.

tuggerlake26

If the angelfish are small, they wouldn't be able to eat an adult guppy, but once they get larger, it can happen. I had angels that were 4-5" years ago, and they ate some adult guppies. .

Violetskies

Yikes, well I can move the guppies out if I need to.

Another question: could I have two female angelfish in the tank together or would they fight?

tuggerlake26

Another question: could I have two female angelfish in the tank together or would they fight?

You'll probably get varying opinions, but I would say you're fine if you know they are females or a male/female pair. I've kept them for years as pairs/trios in 30-50 gallons and haven't had issues unless there are two males.

BottomDweller

I'm actually getting panda cories because my mom decided they'd look better in the tank lol, so that's good. I'll have to watch out for the guppies to make sure they don't get attacked, but I have a spare 20 gallon tank that I can set up just in case. Thanks!
Panda cories need cooler water than angels. Sterbai or bronze cories would work best.

Personally I would stick to one. If they pair up (and yes 2 females can pair up) they may become aggressive towards the other fish. If they do not pair up they may be aggressive towards each other. It can work but it's a risk.

Violetskies

Well my mother has changed her mind anyway lol. she wants gouramis now. Would a few honey gourami work? I've read that they're peaceful.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm starting a new thread

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
Violetskies
  • Question
Replies
Views
andy305mia