40 gal native tank

fishfishfish2457

Reaction score
hi I live in northern Ontario and was thinking of doing a native tank. I have a 40 gal set up and was thinking of doing 1 northern sunfish, 3-4 crawfish, some minnos for the sunfish to feed on,and 1 bristle nose pleco(i Know its not natvie but I have one in my other tank and love it:))do you think I have the space. I am also open to other native suggestions

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A northern sunfish and a few minnows sounds doable. To me crayfish don't count. Not 100% sure on the pleco but I'm 90% sure it would be fine.

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What kind of temps do the sunfish need? Plecostomus are tropical, I think they have very different requirements.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I dont think the pleco is a good idea, dont forget the sunfish is a predator by nature and unless he is small he may try to eat anything smaller than he is, when I Lived Newfoundland we used to catch stickleback and keep them in tancks.Good luck

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishproblem said:
What kind of temps do the sunfish need? Plecostomus are tropical, I think they have very different requirements.
68-82 so pretty much room temp on up.

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure of the laws in Ontario or how you plan on getting them, but keep in mind local regulations. Some places have restrictions on removing fish with the intention to keep as pets. Otherwise, sounds like a cool idea!

OP
F

fishfishfish2457

Reaction score
also are there any substitute predator fish I could do instead of the sunfish?

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check out the North American Native Fish Association for a bunch of helpful info. It's more U.S. focused I think, but pretty sure they'll be able to help you too!

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it could work, minus maybe the crayfish. Not entirely sure on that, though.

I don't know what your feeding plans are for your sunfish, but I would feed it more than minnows. Try to convert it to dry feed, like cichlid pellets to complete its dietary requirements. From my experience, sunfish are not difficult to convert to dry food.

New Threads