40 Gal Long Community Stocking Ideas?

Galaxyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! I'm still a beginner, graduating from my 10 gal starter kit to a 40 gal long. I've finally cycled the new tank, and I'm looking for ideas for my community stock.
I know for sure I want neon tetras (7 or 9?) and Harlequin Rasboras (also 7 or 9?). I have been considering an angelfish, but worry if the tank is big/tall enough.
Anyway, that is all I've got planned. I can't decide what else! I'd love some ideas!

J J Carter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally, I'd wait a few months before neon tetras, they aren't that robust for a new tank. I'd go with zebra danios for surface level fish & black neon tetras for the middle - in my experience both are hard to kill fish. Ruby tetras stay tiny and close to the bottom.

Angels like a warmer water than other fish, what about 3-spot gouramis as your feature fish?

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Watehobit above; all those sound like good options, so pick some that you think sound interesting and do some research on them. The only thing I'm concerned about in your tank is having a way to keep your tank clean... what clean up crews are for! I think you should design a clean up crew - people mostly use shrimp, crabs, and snails, some of which are quite interesting and rewarding to have - but I often like to include fish as part of my clean up crew (CUC) including cories, plecos, and catfish. Asian stone catfish are cool little catfish that don't come out much but are very small and can fit in tiny tanks, bristlenose plecos are nice too, and my favorite cories and panda and julii. Other fish to check out are sparkling gouramis, rams, other rasboras, and endler's livebearers; I'm not sure about compatibility, though. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Galaxyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for these ideas!
Here is what I'm thinking, at this point...
7-9 Neon Tetras
7-9 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Oto Cats
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 snail
Maybe a Gourami for the centerpiece fish? But, I'm not really sold on that.

I live in a small town, about 3 hours from the nearest good quality aquarium store. The local store here in my town is reasonable, but their stock is limited. So, I'm trying to pick from fish I know I've seen in that shop.

I'd really like to find something with a punch of canary yellow or bright orange. Any thoughts?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Galaxyfish said:
Thanks for these ideas!
7-9 Neon Tetras
7-9 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Oto Cats
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 snail

I live in a small town, about 3 hours from the nearest good quality aquarium store. The local store here in my town is reasonable, but their stock is limited. So, I'm trying to pick from fish I know I've seen in that shop.

I'd really like to find something with a punch of canary yellow or bright orange. Any thoughts?
Id reccomend 6 of either the cories or kuhlies... not both.

As for that bright yellow, maybe consider a honey gourami or a trio of male guppies (like platinum yellows) for that pop! Other than that, sunburst hi-fin platies...?

Waterhobit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Id reccomend 6 of either the cories or kuhlies... not both.
I disagree, I had great success with keeping both in a 40 Long. If you have any rocks or driftwood in your aquarium, you will probably only see the loaches during feeding time. They are both extremely peaceful and really shouldn't have any issues coexisting. Both species should really be kept in a school, so 6 minimum though.

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think both catfish + loaches and 6 catfish/loaches are both good ideas, and it depends on what you would like to do. I don't know much about loaches, but I do know that catfish are happy in a school of 6+ and at minimum 5 maybe 4. So 3 might be pushing it a little. I agree with the posts above. I love otto cats loaches but it might be better to get 6 of one species. Or 6 of both species but they might feel crowded.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep them both in a 64g. I know they make good tankmates, but in accordance to their stocking I'd reccomend either. Not both.

Ginni

Reaction score
Galaxyfish said:
Thanks for these ideas!
7-9 Neon Tetras
7-9 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Oto Cats
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 snail

I would definitely look into guramies if i where you not the dwarf guramie but the larger one's they come in allot of color morphs and very very pretty addition to tanks i know because i personally own 4 types of guramies two gold guramies two spotted blue guramies two moonlight guramies two Perl guramies and two opeline guramies do your self a big favor and look up the different color morphs they have and i personally stear clear from angel fish because they can be very aggressive to any other fish including other angel fish !

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I personally like sparkling gouramis. Dwarf gouramis are pretty, but overbred and therefore prone to diseases. Golden gouramis are very nice as well, but keep in mind that they can grow to be very large.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom