40 gal. breeder top?

1. Lupinus Member Member

OK, questions about a top for a 40 gallon breeder tank (36x18) as the top is proving a bear to find.

Anyone know of any good options?

I see that aqueon makes one Versa-Top for a 40 gallon breeder tank, but it says the dimensions are 35 x 9 x 1 which doesn't seem to add up for covering a 18 inch wide tank. Am I reading this wrong? Any other options?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Sadly, each tank maker makes the plastic lip at the top o the tank different, so that only their hoods fit perfectly.

I have used tempered glass, cut to size, on the few tanks I have covered.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good idea Dino.

I wish tank tops were universal!

Ken

5. Lupinus Member Member

saw that one but it says w center brace, which the 40 gal breeder doesn't have. Think I'd be ok without the brace?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Perhaps it would be best to contact the manufacturer of the tank and order the glass tops from them.

Ken

7. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I wish everything was standardized, but then I guess that would cut down on the profits for the Manufacturors.

8. Lupinus Member Member

Was at petco yesterday returning a stand and noticed they actually had a versa top in for the tank. They must have just been out and I missed the tag.

Worked out as it ended up being cheaper than what I was finding online with shipping.