40 gal above ground ""pond""?

aWildGarbageCan

hi!! Ponds have always been a big dream of mine and I recently discovered and bought a 40 gallon oval stock pond/tank to create a ""mini"" pond in my patio!
I can't seem to find a lot of info on upkeep and stocking for a 40 gal "pond" above ground, especially in a state that can get either very hot or extremely freezing (I live in Wisconsin! Our summers can be intense and winters below freezing and harsh)
So I guess I need a bit of pointers on what might work best if anyone knows and doesn't mind helping out!
As much as I adore goldfish and would love to have 1 or 2 fancies in there, I'm very afraid of the weather/temperature fluctuations and possibly not enough room for them in the long run though I did think of rice fish or some other small fish buddies that can tolerate colder water, I'm still not sure they'd do well either-
or if I should skip fish altogether and aim for just an awesome water garden instead?
I'm definitely going to have to bring everything alive indoors over colder months, no doubt, since it's way too shallow to handle the extreme freezes we get.
any Ideas, advice, and pointers would be appreciated since I'm totally new to the whole mini pond idea!
(and hopefully one day in the far far future I can have a giant koi pond instead of a little 40 gal 'pond' )

Seasoldier

Hi & welcome to the site, sorry I would consider a 40 gallon above ground pond a non-starter with the harsh weather conditions you describe, it would be too hot in summer & too cold in winter for anything much to survive long term with lows of 9.2F in January & highs of 80F+ in July / August unless you use a heater in winter & some kind of cooling in summer anything you put in it is going to die.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• LeoDiaz
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Wendyworld
  • BlackOsprey
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
saltwater60
  • mmercier