40 Breeder on 3/4 Sheet Plywood & Metal Stand [Weight / Engineering Question]

PhillyJawn

Hello All,

This is my first post! I needed some veteran advice as I have no clue in the wood working department, and no idea how much weight plywood can support.

My question is, can a 3/4" common board plywood hold up the weight of a 40 breeder with water without cracking if there is about ~1/8"of space in some spots?

IMG_3450.jpg

I bought a brand new 40 Breeder and a metal stand (Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - for 40 Gallon Tanks), I won't post the link as I don't know if that is against TOS or not.

The problem with this stand is it is not flush with the tank, there is roughly ~1/8" gap running along the front and back of the tank / stand . I've been told that a rimmed tank should be supported on all sides evenly to prevent any breaking etc.

Some of the review on the stand state that putting a piece of plywood between the stand and the tank will help to evenly distribute the weight.

Here is the stand in whole view with the plywood top

IMG_3448.jpg

ProudPapa

Welcome. If that stand is made for that aquarium then the plywood can't hurt. By the way, I've been dealing with lumber and plywood for over 40 years and this is the first time I've seen 1/9" used as a measurement. Did you maybe mean 1/8"?

PhillyJawn

Welcome. If that stand is made for that aquarium then the plywood can't hurt. By the way, I've been dealing with lumber and plywood for over 40 years and this is the first time I've seen 1/9" used as a measurement. Did you maybe mean 1/8"?

Yes the stand is def made for the aquarium, attached photo from the petco ad! It just wasn't made as flush as it should have been(mass production woes)

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 1.20.59 AM.png

Hahaha! You're absolutely correct! I meant 1/8th

Thank you for the reassurance on this!

PhillyJawn

Also JettsPapa, I am guessing by your reply you think the plywood can definitely hold up to the weight of the aquarium?

ProudPapa

Also JettsPapa, I am guessing by your reply you think the plywood can definitely hold up to the weight of the aquarium?

As long as it's real plywood and not something that will fall apart when it gets wet it will be fine. I assume you plan to paint it anyway.

As far as supporting the weight, the stand is doing that. All the plywood will do is compress a very small amount.

PhillyJawn

As long as it's real plywood and not something that will fall apart when it gets wet it will be fine. I assume you plan to paint it anyway.

As far as supporting the weight, the stand is doing that. All the plywood will do is compress a very small amount.
perfect, thank you!

ForceTen

I called about this and the manufacture told me to never put anything between the tank and stand.
I was able to slide a credit card between them and got concerned. I bought a 4x8 sheet of very firm insulation and the CSR told me not to use it.
So I just put my 40 gallon breeder on the Imagitarium stand. All is well and the 40 gallon breeder sure is a nice looking tank.

The breeder looks like it would be perfect for water happy amphibians or fish.

ProudPapa

All is well and the 40 gallon breeder sure is a nice looking tank.

The breeder looks like it would be perfect for water happy amphibians or fish.

It is a nice size. I really like mine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
CheekyPanda
Replies
Views
BipBop
Replies
Views
HappyKnitter
Replies
Views
troyvsc

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom