40-60 Multis In The House

1. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

Was an impulse buy, guy by me selling his colony.

Setting up a 55 now they were in a 50 but it needs some work.

More pics incoming !

Attached Files:

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

YES! You will do great, I just know you will!
    (And definitely more pictures in a few days)

3. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

Got them all in no problem. 40b also to move them inside.

Attached Files:

4. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Ooooh. Shell dwellers! How fun! Is this the value I read about in that other thread? What a great deal! And @KimberlyG , I know a bit about how the universe works, and that shady breeder you dealt with will certainly get what he has coming to him, and everyone involved will eventually benefit in weird ways and learn something. But I feel for you!

5. KimberlyG

Oh...They are beautiful. Well done. Please keep me updated.

I have to thank you. I never thought about it that way. If what I am going through could help someone else...you are right. It would be worth it. I spend hours on here each week trying to help people with ill fish or other problem and I never thought of it before, but what better way than to bring them into my problem, let them see what works, what doesn't work, the anguish of setbacks, the joy of small successes. To understand that we are all learning all of the time is a valuable lesson.

6. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

Ok so things have calmed a little bit more time to write.

The guy I got these from was awesome! Super nice. But this was his 14 year old sons tank. I doubt he cleaned the filters 1x in a year.

Penguin 200 hob
    Chinese knock off of a fluval 206
    Truvu 36x15x20 acrylic
    Stand

I wanted to get the fish in the tank fast so I didn't clean the can filter. I plugged it in and it looks like it was dispensing gasoline into the tank. (Still had the fish in a bucket with air stone)

I took the filer apart cleaned a bit with tank water. Dumped a years worth of fish poo out. Put it back together and POP a Multi came out of the outlets. Thought it was dead NOPE!!! How long it lived in that filter I have no clue. He also gave me a bucket of gravel and buried shells. I was cleaning the shells and dumping the packed sand out in a separate bucket. On my 20th shell or so I noticed a tad pole....nope!!! It's another multi in my washing bucket! This one lived in a sand shell bucket with no water for like 3+ hours!

55 is far to narrow so I got a 40 breeder at petco for over 50% off. Going to set it up in my office/fishroom.

Will build a custom 40B stand as well. Then I'll refinish & seal the Truvu & stand and sell it on Cl. It was a $400 aquarium.

Fish are funny! One thing I notice which pics don't pick up is the eyes! They are jewel blue and really shine.

Am having some aggressive issues. I mean this tank is far over stocked so I thought it would happen. But the biggest male is guarding a shell and is "lip locking." I put " " because it's more like he bites a fish and carries it across the tank. Spits them out then goes back.

I need to git rid of 30-40. Lol

Pics of male locking attached I was yelling at them to stop and my GF ran out all are you really talking to the fish.
    IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG

7. KimberlyG

Awesome pictures. Thanks.
    They are beauties!

8. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

So I set up my 20under last night, goes under my 55. Pic attached

Going to put a big male in there with a flock of females. Then split the colony into the 40b. So I'll have a 55, 40 & 20. I even have that other 50. See how many I can produce. Shop around me wants some maybe supply some online. I do want to buy or trade some males to get the genetics stronger though.

Attached Files:

9. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Valued Member Member

Where are you? I would like to buy some more multis. I'm in eastern pa.

10. KimberlyG

Very cool set up. Please post pics when you get it done.

11. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

Was just posting actually.

Stayed home for a couple days and got a little restless. Built a stand out of left over Fence board.

Then set up my 40 in office. Took a filter from the 55 (was running 2) and put it in the 40, already has BB but i'm still going to keep a close eye on it. Replaced the 55 filter I took out with a Sponge. I don't really need the sponge the CAN works well but just want to seed it for emergency.

20 is up as well but no multis in it yet. My led remote is somewhere so the color is stuck on purple. lol.

Moved 12 to the 40. 2 big males and rest is I dunno's.

pics pics pics

IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1306.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG

12. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

Per mods I'm not allowed to discuss selling till I have 50 post! oh well lookie there I have 50!

But i'm in CA. I'd ship them to fishlore people but I want a couple weeks till they settle a bit and I know they are ok.

13. KimberlyG

This is really cool. Nice job. You have done well by them. Lucky Fish!

14. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

Feeding vid of the garage colony.

15. KimberlyG

Wow, I can't believe your colony swims in the upper zone. Great video, thanks for sharing.

16. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

Well I have some fry! Yay!

Kinda of thought so as I was seeing some breeding tubes. Sure enough! See 5-10!

17. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

IMG_1441.JPG

18. KimberlyG

Well that didn't take long! Nice job.
    So I have to ask, (since I have these cannibals here) No one is bothering the fry?

19. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Valued Member Member

Wow. I'm still waiting.

20. OP
    OP
    DIYhack

No not long at all. Don't see them even noticing the fry.

I looked again later at night and there is fry in every major crater. So there is like 5 sets of 5 fry or so.

Kinda cute all you can see are the eyes.