40 - 30 gallon Container Pond

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Wendigoblue, Aug 1, 2015.

1. WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

I setup a round container pond and am looking for some fish for it! I'm looking for some fish that are easily bred/would breed in the pond.

Things about my setup:
    100oF summer weather temperature
    30 - 40 gallon round container
    Contains some plants and maybe a few branches
    Full sun/Shade -It gets shade in the morning and full sun in the afternoon for about 4 hours, then shade again.

Hopefully if it's possible I would love some shrimp, maybe a pair of bristle nose catfish. Could I pull off a pair of BNs and some shrimp?

(I should specify that the temperature is of the air, not the water.)

2. WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

I just measured the temperature of the water and it's 98oF... Great... I will add a solar powered pump, so it will cool down a little since it's moving, but not by much...

3. DadioWell Known MemberMember

Only way to get it cooler would to add a chiller or a fan to create a breeze and avoiding as much direct sunlight as possible. Pond tint helps create a shadow protecting up swings in temp. It also because of shading helps keep lower temps. But direct sun is direct sun and still increases ambient temp. Increasing circulating will help too.

4. WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

I do want some marsh plants for some cover and most likely I will be getting a water lily or lotus. I may move it in full shade, but the plants won't get any sun... By the way the aquatics are doing good. My guppy grass is fading a little, but it could be shock. The moss is very dark green now compared to how it was in my window. I don't think I would be able to do a chiller in that pond, but I hope it gets better if I get marsh plants.

I'm not really sure if this would work, but this is an idea I had. So the container pond is plastic, drilling holes a few inches below water level and siliconing a plastic pots with a hole in the same spot to it. This would be for like an aquaponic type setup and I may try it if I can get some pots without holes in the bottom. Sorry if it's not understandable, I don't explain things well.

5. DadioWell Known MemberMember

Your right in saying that it's not full shade we want for ponds of any size. The pond needs sunlight both direct and diffused. So by adding marsh plants this will greatly help.

The idea of pots is good on one part, but the problem is in it being stagnant water. For aquaponics to work it needs water to circulate so the roots are not rotting in wet substrate. Like that of my veggie cage filter, the roots help keep the water clean and are not constrained by space or lack of circulation.

Take a picture to show me the location and setup and from there I can help figure more out with you.

6. WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

Stagnant water was the only flaw with the design. This is a plastic container that I had laying around, so it's not that pretty, but I'll get you a picture soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice