4 Tank Fish Display For School Aquarium Club

nikm128

Main tank, you'd have to decide yellow tang or flame angel. Both is asking for trouble, and most of those are recommended for a minimum of a 125; I'd shorten the list or make some changes, plus triggers eat literally everything they can.
Predator tank, porcupine puffers get a foot long and need at least a 6 foot tank, I also don't recommend having one with a lionfish.
Tide pool, flame angels need at least a 4 foot tank, and it would easily take out anything in that tank if it really wanted to.
A 5 gallon tank is way too small for clowns, even a single one

Jesterrace

You didn't follow the advice that was given to research fish on many of those fish will not work in the tanks you mentioned due to minimum tank size requirements. You need to step up and used the tools that have been presented to you. The reason why Live Aquaria is highly recommended as a research tool is because it is a good general rule of thumb for requirements for fish keeping and give you an idea of basic compatibility. Furthermore who is paying for the roughly $2K worth of tanks, equipment and fish that you have listed there? Unless you go to a rich school with a very liberal budget for such things, it is very unlikely that they will buy off on any but the smallest tank and only one of them.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Fundraisers

nedpatrick

Not trying to be overly rude or anything but coming from someone who is still in high school this will not be an option. Even with fundraisers I wouldn’t expect to be able to raise enough to setup the tank and the school most likely will not want the risk of the tank leaking or spilling and ruining the floors. Also the school will most likely not want to pay for running the filters or anything. And what about over summer break or spring break? I know my school will not let students in and they frequently have extended periods of time where nobody is there to be able to feed the fish if there was a tank? Again not trying to be rude just realistic

Jesterrace

Not trying to be overly rude or anything but coming from someone who is still in high school this will not be an option. Even with fundraisers I wouldn’t expect to be able to raise enough to setup the tank and the school most likely will not want the risk of the tank leaking or spilling and ruining the floors. Also the school will most likely not want to pay for running the filters or anything. And what about over summer break or spring break? I know my school will not let students in and they frequently have extended periods of time where nobody is there to be able to feed the fish if there was a tank? Again not trying to be rude just realistic

Agreed on everything. While I do encourage folks in their passion for the hobby, I think the idea of having a school club and fundraisers to pay for the tank or having reliable year round care is very slim.

I think the OP is better off getting a job mowing lawns (or something similar) in the neighborhood and paying for his larger tank of choice and keeping it at home. The other advantage to this is that he will be far more likely to garner support from Mom and Dad (I say this as a parent myself) when they see it's not just youthful "spur of the moment" dreaming and a serious long term commitment (which this hobby is). I also agree that the spring break and summer issue is a virtually insurmountable obstacle for tanks that are locked up at school and all that effort will be wasted. Futhermore the OP is all over the map with what he wants in a tank(s).

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Okay. BTW my art teacher in 6th grade had a saltwater tank in his classroom. I don't know how many gallons, maybe 90. It had a Humu Rectangle Trigger and two wrasses I could't identify as they always hid away when I got close. It had small amounts of aiptasia. How could someone take care for that tank during school break?

nikm128

I'd also like to say, whether you pay for it, or raise money for it. Most of the fish you want need larger tanks or can't be together

nedpatrick

Okay. BTW my art teacher in 6th grade had a saltwater tank in his classroom. I don't know how many gallons, maybe 90. It had a Humu Rectangle Trigger and two wrasses I could't identify as they always hid away when I got close. It had small amounts of aiptasia. How could someone take care for that tank during school break?

My best guess would be that that teacher had privileges to go into the school during breaks to feed them. But I agree that getting a job will prove to your parents that you’re serious about this after getting my job I jumped from 3 geckos to 8 and added a 20 long aquarium. I can’t promise that this will work with your parents but try to show them that you are very interested in this. Again not trying to shoot this down but do you know where you would even keep these aquariums? All 4 take up quite a bit of space and you would need to find a teacher willing to let you use their whole room for this.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

I heard there's a high school science teacher that knows a lot about fish keeping, fresh and salty.
Maybe he can help...

Also, the art teacher was at my old school.

Jesterrace

It's likely he taught summer school or had the ability to go in over summer. Staff can do that, but kids can't (go in that is, not the summer school bit). The Trigger was too small for that tank long term, but I'm sure he found that out.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

90 is too small long term for that trigger.
90 is too small long term for that trigger.
Yeah. I remember the Humu being stressed in that tank. He wouldn't do a lot of swimming. Poor little fella .

The wrasses were fine, though!

Main tank, you'd have to decide yellow tang or flame angel. Both is asking for trouble, and most of those are recommended for a minimum of a 125; I'd shorten the list or make some changes, plus triggers eat literally everything they can.
Predator tank, porcupine puffers get a foot long and need at least a 6 foot tank, I also don't recommend having one with a lionfish.
Tide pool, flame angels need at least a 4 foot tank, and it would easily take out anything in that tank if it really wanted to.
A 5 gallon tank is way too small for clowns, even a single one
How would a Bursa Trigger do?

Jesterrace

Yeah. I remember the Humu being stressed in that tank. He wouldn't do a lot of swimming. Poor little fella .

The wrasses were fine, though!

How would a Bursa Trigger do?

Look it up.

K’s fish

More then likely the teacher is coming in to feed his fish or he set up a timed feeder to release a certain amount of food at certain times. Most teachers can get into the school they work at to do work during breaks.

FrostedFlakes

I just want to say something here, from the standpoint of someone who isn't much older than you and has experience with clubs, this is not a very good choice. I know it would be super cool and heck I would love to do it as well, but this is not what funds should be spent on, and it is very unrealistic. Not only do you deal with the initial cost of the tanks, equipment, etc, you deal with salt replacement and the overall maintenance of the fish, let alone the cost of the power it takes to run all those tanks. The tanks you want to implement are fairly large, and putting more than one large tank in a classroom is a big no no. Are you considering the fact that there will be many different people around these fish? Kids do insane things around animals, which is why I am not an advocate for classroom pets. And God FORBID there is an accident. That can be dangerous for the kids and fish, and don't get me started on flooding and spilling during water changes. My teacher last year had a 50 gallon. Absolute disaster to maintain with so many kids around. My school's fishing club has a tank, I couldn't imagine them ever getting another. I am involved in moneymaking parts of clubs and have seen it first hand, you are not going to make that money in any short amount of time unless you receive a donation, and all that money in my opinion is better spent on field trips and education for your club. The wonders of receiving over 2k for a class club should not be spent on such a difficult task as maintaining fish tanks at school. Please heed this warning for I have experience in this exact setting. And mine weren't even saltwater.

EDIT: I would also like to add, if from what I gather from this thread is correct, you are not properly stocking, which leads me to believe you have not kept these fish before. Absolutely do not keep a fish for the first time at school where you cannot monitor it. Please.

Addie42

good luck with this! You are dreaming big!
I hope you can realize that while your goals are great, they may not be possible
keep us updated if you guys do end up getting an aquarium and remember you won't be at that high school forever to take care of it

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

good luck with this! You are dreaming big!
I hope you can realize that while your goals are great, they may not be possible
keep us updated if you guys do end up getting an aquarium and remember you won't be at that high school forever to take care of it
Nice! I'm just finishing of 8th grade, BTW. I'm already talking with the teachers about it. They seem for it, but they're still asking questions.

FrostedFlakes

I was in 8th grade too when this happened and it sucked. By all means do it if you feel you can but just be careful please.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHAMELEON_BREEZE
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
salt&cich4l
Replies
Views