4 stroke bike engine kit where to buy one.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LeoDiaz, Jul 14, 2015.

1. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I want to buy a bike engine kit for my bike anyone know a good place to look for them that are good quality and not overpriced?

2. Tolak

Tolak Well Known Member Member

I used to do this when I was a kid, no kit involved. Side shaft Briggs, 20" Schwinn frame, 50mph on the street, no brakes & really illegal. These days it would probably be a felony, didn't even know they made kits for this now.

3. K

Kelekona Valued Member Member

Have you considered just mounting a chainsaw on your bike? I imagine that you'd be stuck with 2-stroke or electric... maybe an old lawnmower and find a welder?

Oh, I found a knock-off of a TaoTao scooter for about $1000, but its unreliability problems meant that I couldn't take it anywhere when I couldn't get rescued, so it caused more problems because I wasn't using it much.

4. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Is not illegal to do in Illinois, there kits that come with everyhthing you will need no need to use a chainsaw. Those are the kits im looking for.

5. Tolak

40+ years ago it was illegal, chainsaw motor? 5 horse sideshaft Briggs off a snowblower, pull the governor, drill the 20" bike frame for a sturdy piece of angle iron & bolt it on. Get a centrifugal belt clutch, tack weld half a rim onto the back tire, bend out the frame with a couple 2x4's to fit the extra width. Get the right size belt, rig a hand brake lever & cable for the throttle, gas it up & go, watch your leg on the exhaust.

I'm in Illinois, they've changed the laws quite a bit over the years, I think it's 49cc or less you don't need things like lights & such, or a plate. Pretty sure there's some MPH restrictions as well. While the kits they sell are most likely well within the law what we were doing back then sure wasn't!

6. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

That sounds like something i wont know how to do. Thats why im looking for a kit they mount in the middle of frame are 49cc and legal. And sound much easier to do. like this one  

7. Tolak

Holy geez is that kit expensive! We used to scavenge parts & pieces, get a couple blown motors from the flea market to build one good one & such. On occasion we'd get caught, cops would confiscate our bike, they just had no sense of fun. We'd go lift up the shed where they stored them in the middle of the night & confiscate them back, bunch of bratty 12 year olds. From looking at the reviews on that link you do have to have a bit of mechanical skill to get it up & running, if you find some local gearhead who's into cars they'll most likely help, it's what we used to do as kids when we ran into technical difficulty.

Probably good that you'd rather not do what I used to, a 5 horse comes out to 179cc looking at replacement motors.

8. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Lol,confiscate it back. Thats a sampel kit im looking for but 4strokes kits are expensive, there are 2 stroke kits those are cheaper.  

9. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

We always looked for old "reel type" lawnmowers that people were giving away or selling cheap at garage sales. Like you say, you wanted the side shaft Briggs or Tecumsehs. 5 hp.

We made go carts and mini bikes out of them. You could get those centrifugal clutches pretty cheap, and build the rest out of junk parts.

It was educational, right? ;)

10. K

Kelekona Valued Member Member

For my scooter in Virginia, 49cc and there was a speed restriction to have it be legally a bicycle. I think I was supposed to stay under 35kph.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice