4 of the 17 didnt make it

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Why is your nitrate so high ? It should be near 0 if you just added these fishes one day ago. I hate the colour test but in the photo it looks near 80 which cardinals will dislike. Also on the first photo the white lump on the tail is a big concern. It sort of looks like fungus but did you buy it with that lump or is it new ? Given the size i would think it came that way which is a really bad sign.

If you purchased them with that white stuff I would demand a refund and find a better store.

Rcslade124 said:
Test are all fine maybe high nitrates I could do a water change.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I honestly dont remeber it being there. So I dont know how it got so big so fast. Of course the store closes in like 10mins I can try to call them. But I am worried about the 3 fish I have coming tomorrow ugh

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think a few deaths are sometimes inevitable. Always get a few more than what you're planning. So, for instance, next time if you decide to get 6, get 3-5 more.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And I got 15 expecting some losses. Figured I'd add more later if I los some

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you can always expect deaths with those type of fish. Me I like to buy small. Like if your looking for 20 I would buy 10 and let them sit in the tank for a week and see how they do. If good I would than buy more. Good is not losing more than 25%. Thing with cardinals is they sell fast. I like to view the fish at the store and than buy at a later date. This way you can see how there doing at the store. If they’ve been in the store for 2 weeks and still alive they have a good chance of making it.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The belly is fine. Also I don't think you should expect a few deaths. These fishes are definitely not healthy and you will likely suffer near total loss; but if you receive healthy fishes and put them into a good home you should expect 99% success rate. Also i would raise the temp to 80 or 81...

Rcslade124 said:
Does this belly look right? And that white back?

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok down to 7. They are all colorful. No white patches. Did 80% water change. Unfortunate I dont have a real qt. So picking up apistogramma now. 0,0,0.25ish fingers crossed for safe shipment and acclimate. And a good day while I'm at work.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
Ok down to 7. They are all colorful. No white patches. Did 80% water change. Unfortunate I dont have a real qt. So picking up apistogramma now. 0,0,0.25ish fingers crossed for safe shipment and acclimate. And a good day while I'm at work.
I don't think/hope it will affect the Apisto's but I personally would have waited to buy new fish till this issue is solved.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The apistogramma were already shipped or I would have. The plan was to get cardinals in and then apistogramma and us tank as a qt. So the apistogramma shipped monday n I got the cardinals mon night. We live we learn. I should have just waited till apistogramma acclimated.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The white on the lower belly is normal. My largest cardinals have white - i presume they are females but not really an expert on the sexing cardinals. One of these days i'll remember the source of cardinals that is really good - it is a farm in Florida - they are well known.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea I think they were sick and being moved from the store kicked in everything. The other 7 are out exploring. I just hope that was the worst of it. I so wanted to buy all the fish from one place and that way they arrived together. I just couldnt find any female apistogramma so I found someone on aquabid that had a trio. So finger crossed they are floating now. All arrived alive and moving. So fingers crossed and toes.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the full name of that fish ? Also i would raise your temp to 80 - these are warm water fishes.
-
Last but least my experience with mail order - so far - has been very good - much better than local purchases. Naturally if i order everything by mail i might be disappointed - in other words my sample is small - but positive.

Rcslade124 said:
They made initial move fingers crossed.

HitzBlack

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have pretty much given up on trying to add to my existing 6 Neon school. Every time I try to add to the school, they die off. Had a major Ich outbreak the last time I had them in QT - lost most of them. Will probably try Cardinal's as I hear they are a bit hardier from another store, but the last experience was miserable.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HitzBlack said:
I have pretty much given up on trying to add to my existing 6 Neon school. Every time I try to add to the school, they die off. Had a major Ich outbreak the last time I had them in QT - lost most of them. Will probably try Cardinal's as I hear they are a bit hardier from another store, but the last experience was miserable.
The same thing was happening to me. I was down to 4 that I've had for several years. Over the years each time I tried to build my school of them I would lose some of the new ones and some of the originals. I had just about given up on ever having a fair sized school of them. @Mcasella offered some up for sale and I took the chance. That was several months ago. Everyone I got from her and my original 4 are alive, well and thriving. I now have 17 of them. BTW: She just recently offered more up for sale. They are listed in the buy, sell, trade section of the forum. I am so tempted but I will leave them for someone else. :)

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jake37 said:
What is the full name of that fish ? Also i would raise your temp to 80 - these are warm water fishes.
-
Last but least my experience with mail order - so far - has been very good - much better than local purchases. Naturally if i order everything by mail i might be disappointed - in other words my sample is small - but positive.
Apistogramma cacatuoides. I have the heat upto 78 now will up it a little tonight. It's just hard I have my heater behind plants I always pull them up trying to change it. I'll slowly up it some try to hit 81. I have conflicting thermometer. One stick inside reads 82. The stick on side reads 78. And they are almost on top of each other. So I have thought to buy a nice thermometer then work on temp. Also I knew I shouldn't try the shop I got the cardinals from they have some bad looking tanks. But the cardinal one looked good. But if they cardinal were comfy in there the sickness didnt appear until moving them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom