4 of the 17 didnt make it - Page 2

DoubleDutch

Rcslade124 said:
Ok down to 7. They are all colorful. No white patches. Did 80% water change. Unfortunate I don't have a real qt. So picking up apistogramma now. 0,0,0.25ish fingers crossed for safe shipment and acclimate. And a good day while I'm at work.
I don't think/hope it will affect the Apisto's but I personally would have waited to buy new fish till this issue is solved.

Rcslade124

The apistogramma were already shipped or I would have. The plan was to get cardinals in and then apistogramma and us tank as a qt. So the apistogramma shipped monday n I got the cardinals mon night. We live we learn. I should have just waited till apistogramma acclimated.

jake37

The white on the lower belly is normal. My largest cardinals have white - I presume they are females but not really an expert on the sexing cardinals. One of these days I'll remember the source of cardinals that is really good - it is a farm in Florida - they are well known.

Rcslade124

Yea I think they were sick and being moved from the store kicked in everything. The other 7 are out exploring. I just hope that was the worst of it. I so wanted to buy all the fish from one place and that way they arrived together. I just couldnt find any female apistogramma so I found someone on aquabid that had a trio. So finger crossed they are floating now. All arrived alive and moving. So fingers crossed and toes.

Rcslade124

They made initial move fingers crossed.

jake37

What is the full name of that fish ? Also I would raise your temp to 80 - these are warm water fishes.
-
Last but least my experience with mail order - so far - has been very good - much better than local purchases. Naturally if I order everything by mail I might be disappointed - in other words my sample is small - but positive.

Rcslade124 said:
They made initial move fingers crossed.

HitzBlack

I have pretty much given up on trying to add to my existing 6 Neon school. Every time I try to add to the school, they die off. Had a major Ich outbreak the last time I had them in QT - lost most of them. Will probably try Cardinal's as I hear they are a bit hardier from another store, but the last experience was miserable.

mattgirl

HitzBlack said:
I have pretty much given up on trying to add to my existing 6 Neon school. Every time I try to add to the school, they die off. Had a major Ich outbreak the last time I had them in QT - lost most of them. Will probably try Cardinal's as I hear they are a bit hardier from another store, but the last experience was miserable.
The same thing was happening to me. I was down to 4 that I've had for several years. Over the years each time I tried to build my school of them I would lose some of the new ones and some of the originals. I had just about given up on ever having a fair sized school of them. Mcasella offered some up for sale and I took the chance. That was several months ago. Everyone I got from her and my original 4 are alive, well and thriving. I now have 17 of them. BTW: She just recently offered more up for sale. They are listed in the buy, sell, trade section of the forum. I am so tempted but I will leave them for someone else. :)

Rcslade124

jake37 said:
What is the full name of that fish ? Also I would raise your temp to 80 - these are warm water fishes.
-
Last but least my experience with mail order - so far - has been very good - much better than local purchases. Naturally if I order everything by mail I might be disappointed - in other words my sample is small - but positive.
Apistogramma cacatuoides. I have the heat upto 78 now will up it a little tonight. It's just hard I have my heater behind plants I always pull them up trying to change it. I'll slowly up it some try to hit 81. I have conflicting thermometer. One stick inside reads 82. The stick on side reads 78. And they are almost on top of each other. So I have thought to buy a nice thermometer then work on temp. Also I knew I shouldn't try the shop I got the cardinals from they have some bad looking tanks. But the cardinal one looked good. But if they cardinal were comfy in there the sickness didnt appear until moving them.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom