4 of the 17 didnt make it

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
Yea that's mu thoughts. I just worry they looked pretty red that it might be ammonia burns. The rest this morning seemed fine. Nice blue and red. As long as none pass away while I'm at work I'll chalk it to a few weaker ones. If not I'm in trouble have 3 more fish coming in the am. Thinking about getting some safestart plus just in case it was ammonia. But cycled to 3ppm I dont think 17 juvie cardinal will cause an ammonia spike.
I really can't imagine it being ammonia burn since you grew enough bacteria to handle 3ppm ammonia. I agree this number of little fish would not have produced that much ammonia 'specially in such a short period of time.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't think so either.....

Very strange for sure. I use the bottled bacteria when/if I have to. Worth the peace of mind too I think. Doesn't hurt anyway (except the pocketbook).

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Be aware that since you used prime you will likely get a 25ppm false reading for ammonia. I find it takes 2 to 4 days for the prime to drain off before the false reading will go away. It has to do with how prime binds with ammonia (the fishes are always producing ammonia).

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
Be aware that since you used prime you will likely get a 25ppm false reading for ammonia. I find it takes 2 to 4 days for the prime to drain off before the false reading will go away. It has to do with how prime binds with ammonia (the fishes are always producing ammonia).
I have seen this posted from time to time but personally I've never experienced it and have been using Prime for about 4 years in all of my tanks.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with the age of the tank. I just went through this with two new tanks. 0ppm ammonia; added some prime and retest a few hours later and it jumped to 25ppm. Since this was repeatable for 2 different tanks i figured it was genuine but perhaps it was real ammonia as the tanks were new (well the tanks were new but the sponge filters were months old taken from mature tanks - i start my tanks by taking mature sponge filters and 2 or 3 guppies - i seem to always have more guppies than i know what to do with... anyone want a guppy ?)

mattgirl said:
I have seen this posted from time to time but personally I've never experienced it and have been using Prime for about 4 years in all of my tanks.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
I think it has to do with the age of the tank. I just went through this with two new tanks. 0ppm ammonia; added some prime and retest a few hours later and it jumped to 25ppm. Since this was repeatable for 2 different tanks i figured it was genuine but perhaps it was real ammonia as the tanks were new (well the tanks were new but the sponge filters were months old taken from mature tanks - i start my tanks by taking mature sponge filters and 2 or 3 guppies - i seem to always have more guppies than i know what to do with... anyone want a guppy ?)
You could be right. It could have something to do with how strong the cycle is. I kept reading this so actually tried to recreate it in my established tanks and never got an ammonia reading.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You know I bet the .25 ammonia that equals 0 too most that is what throws it off. This 29 gallon has given me a true 0 ammonia. Very yellow test.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss. Yes, agreed with mattgirl , the fish may have just been weak. I also lost 4 fish out of my new group of fish also.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It just worried me that I have an issue in the tank and having to get the dead ones out and run out the door bothers me. I desperately wanted to do a full test on the water. So now I'm just thinking what if it is my fault and not sick fish

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
Sorry for the loss. Yes, agreed with mattgirl , the fish may have just been weak. I also lost 4 fish out of my new group of fish also.
But the survivors look quite healthy !
It isn't simply a bad batch of fish.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No bad signs in these. Fingers crossed they'll be okay tomorrow.

Craig_84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are those neons rather than cardinals?

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No cardinals. I dont think the full red stripe has come back after transfer. The neons are a couple tanks down.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They do look like it though

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And alot have this white hump on them.