4 of the 17 didnt make it

Rcslade124

So 4 cardinal passed over the night. I only had a few mins to retrieve them before I had to leave for work. Will test water as soon as I get home tongiht. Pics attached

Attachments

jake37

Too many variables to comment. How long did you own them ? Some stock at our local store have been very weak other have been very good (there is one particular distributor from florida that has always delivered very strong stock to this store and they label the tanks when they received cardinals from this distributor). Another issue could be temp (cardinals like warm water - and are more sensitive to cold water conditions than some other tetra); water condition; ...
---
If these were recently purchased and everything else is good in the tank then it could be poor stock. One of them looks pretty beat up but maybe that is the angle of the picture.
-
also 20 fishes in a 20 gallon tank is a bit excessive (presuming your tank is listed in aquarium detail) so the water might be rather unclean.

Rcslade124

No it's a 29 gallon. Been cycled for 2 weeks feeding 3ppm ammonia. There is nothing else in the tank but them. Water is 78. They are a little beat up had to use planting tweezers to pull a few out.

jake37

So these are new fishes ? How long have you had them also I would ask the store if they have had any deaths if these are less than a week old.

KribensisLover1

jake37 said:
So these are new fishes ? How long have you had them also I would ask the store if they have had any deaths if these are less than a week old.
I don’t think they’re that young. They are well above .5”. But I’ll try to call them good call.

Rcslade124

I had them 12hrs. I had gf dose with prime incase was a spike which I don't think it was but maybe.

Rcslade124

Yea they are about .75 inch. Hopefully just a few that didn't handle the move

jake37

When I said new I did not mean 'new birth' but new to you. I think you said you had them for 12 hours so in that sense they are new. I normally try to make sure the shop have a fish for at least a few days ( a week is better) before purchase as a lot of fishes can be stressed due to shipping.

As I mentioned my local fish store receive cardinals from several sources. This summer one of the sources they suffered more than 50% mortality but another source they had less than 1% (I think they told me 1 out of 400 fishes died).

Slvikan said:
I don’t think they’re that young. They are well above .5”. But I’ll try to call them good call.

Rcslade124

No all of the fish were in their tank since friday. They all seemed fine. I had one that stayed away from the pack once put in the tank. So I figured he would go. I hope that the rest survive until I make it home from work. As long as the rest survive I'm happy. It will be 24hrs around 230-3. So hopefully the rest survive

angelcraze

They look awfully red to me, but maybe it was tweezers. I know they are dead, but my dead fish never look like that overnight. Why were they caught in the tank that you had to remove them with tweezers?

So you had your GF dose with Prime after the 4 deaths?

Definitely update once you test the tank. I hope the others are ok.

Rcslade124

That was what I thought also they look red. They were all down in the bottom by the plants. I would have ripped all the plants up grabbing them. And yeah I asked her to dose with prime incase it was an ammonia spike. I am so upset I didnt have time to test the water before work. I'm stressed out about it ugh.

angelcraze

Yeah, I get that. I've been in the same sitch where you just have to go to work and then you are worrying all day. I know this doesn't really help, but worrying will accomplish nothing but stressing you out. Your GF has dosed Prime, so if for some reason there is an ammonia spike, it should alleviate the toxicity a bit.

When you get home, test the water, if the is more than 0.50ppm ammonia, do a 50% water change to get that down to 0.25ppm. And try NOT to worry!

Did you do a large water change before adding the fish? I was thinking there'd be a lot of nitrates if you didn't. Still wouldn't cause redness though or deaths overnight.

Did you acclimate the fish to your tank water?

DoubleDutch

Are you able to get a pic of the survivors ?

Rcslade124

All the rest are still alive she says

DoubleDutch

Is it the lighting or do they look like Green neons (P.simulans).

These one look quite healthy.

Could it have been Ph shock ?

Rcslade124

Maybe I didnt check the ph of the water from the shop. N I acclimate for 45mins then put them in. I will have her turn up the lights they are on low.

Rcslade124

But only 4 dropping from ph shock I think more would. Like I said I'm going to do a full test. But if it was ammonia my tank should process it. I had one stay away from the group from start so I figured they wouldnt make it. But I feel like I would have another few dieing if it's my water issue since 9am. But I'll dig into the tank as soon as I walk in the door. And she will turn up lights and get another pic when she gets our son from school

mattgirl

As heartbreaking as it is sometimes this just happens. The ones you lost may not have been as strong as the others. These little guys go through so much getting from the breeder to us. Often the weakest ones just can't handle it. We can do everything just right and still some don't make it. :(

I know you made sure your tank was ready for fish and you acclimated them to your water so you did all you could to give them the best chance possible. Keeping the lights low while they settle in is a good idea.

Rcslade124

Yea that's mu thoughts. I just worry they looked pretty red that it might be ammonia burns. The rest this morning seemed fine. Nice blue and red. As long as none pass away while I'm at work I'll chalk it to a few weaker ones. If not I'm in trouble have 3 more fish coming in the am. Thinking about getting some safestart plus just in case it was ammonia. But cycled to 3ppm I don't think 17 juvie cardinal will cause an ammonia spike.

mattgirl

Rcslade124 said:
Yea that's mu thoughts. I just worry they looked pretty red that it might be ammonia burns. The rest this morning seemed fine. Nice blue and red. As long as none pass away while I'm at work I'll chalk it to a few weaker ones. If not I'm in trouble have 3 more fish coming in the am. Thinking about getting some safestart plus just in case it was ammonia. But cycled to 3ppm I don't think 17 juvie cardinal will cause an ammonia spike.
I really can't imagine it being ammonia burn since you grew enough bacteria to handle 3ppm ammonia. I agree this number of little fish would not have produced that much ammonia 'specially in such a short period of time.

angelcraze

I wouldn't think so either.....

Very strange for sure. I use the bottled bacteria when/if I have to. Worth the peace of mind too I think. Doesn't hurt anyway (except the pocketbook).

jake37

Be aware that since you used prime you will likely get a 25ppm false reading for ammonia. I find it takes 2 to 4 days for the prime to drain off before the false reading will go away. It has to do with how prime binds with ammonia (the fishes are always producing ammonia).

mattgirl

jake37 said:
Be aware that since you used prime you will likely get a 25ppm false reading for ammonia. I find it takes 2 to 4 days for the prime to drain off before the false reading will go away. It has to do with how prime binds with ammonia (the fishes are always producing ammonia).
I have seen this posted from time to time but personally I've never experienced it and have been using Prime for about 4 years in all of my tanks.

jake37

I think it has to do with the age of the tank. I just went through this with two new tanks. 0ppm ammonia; added some prime and retest a few hours later and it jumped to 25ppm. Since this was repeatable for 2 different tanks I figured it was genuine but perhaps it was real ammonia as the tanks were new (well the tanks were new but the sponge filters were months old taken from mature tanks - I start my tanks by taking mature sponge filters and 2 or 3 guppies - I seem to always have more guppies than I know what to do with... anyone want a guppy ?)

mattgirl said:
I have seen this posted from time to time but personally I've never experienced it and have been using Prime for about 4 years in all of my tanks.

mattgirl

jake37 said:
I think it has to do with the age of the tank. I just went through this with two new tanks. 0ppm ammonia; added some prime and retest a few hours later and it jumped to 25ppm. Since this was repeatable for 2 different tanks I figured it was genuine but perhaps it was real ammonia as the tanks were new (well the tanks were new but the sponge filters were months old taken from mature tanks - I start my tanks by taking mature sponge filters and 2 or 3 guppies - I seem to always have more guppies than I know what to do with... anyone want a guppy ?)
You could be right. It could have something to do with how strong the cycle is. I kept reading this so actually tried to recreate it in my established tanks and never got an ammonia reading.

Rcslade124

You know I bet the .25 ammonia that equals 0 too most that is what throws it off. This 29 gallon has given me a true 0 ammonia. Very yellow test.

FinalFins

Sorry for the loss. Yes, agreed with mattgirl , the fish may have just been weak. I also lost 4 fish out of my new group of fish also.

Rcslade124

It just worried me that I have an issue in the tank and having to get the dead ones out and run out the door bothers me. I desperately wanted to do a full test on the water. So now I'm just thinking what if it is my fault and not sick fish

DoubleDutch

FinalFins said:
Sorry for the loss. Yes, agreed with mattgirl , the fish may have just been weak. I also lost 4 fish out of my new group of fish also.
But the survivors look quite healthy !
It isn't simply a bad batch of fish.

DoubleDutch

No bad signs in these. Fingers crossed they'll be okay tomorrow.

Craig_84

Are those neons rather than cardinals?

Rcslade124

No cardinals. I don't think the full red stripe has come back after transfer. The neons are a couple tanks down.

Rcslade124

They do look like it though

Rcslade124

And a lot have this white hump on them.

Top Bottom