4 New Tanks

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by X5_125gal, Jul 19, 2017.

1. X5_125galNew MemberMember

Hello everyone I wanted to get some ideas on fish stocking for the 4 new fish tanks I have recently set up and are currently cycling.

I currently have a 125 gal community Angelfish tank that has be running for six months and is doing very well. Obviously this was very easy to stock and I have a lot of filtration to handle the amount of fish I have in there. With that being said I wanted to spread fish tanks around the house that weren't so large that I can really enjoy as much as my 125. Each one of the new tanks are running sponge filters, heaters around 76-78 degrees, eco complete substrate and all will be planted. Also have driftwood and rocks each in one.

2 - 20 gal highs
    1 - 20 gal long
    1 - 29 gal

I would like each tank to be different from the rest. Let me know what you would end up doing with each one and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help and excited to see what everyone comes up with!

Forgot to mention my ph is around a 7.6

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  2. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

I would do species only tanks and keep one as a breeding tank. Perhaps shell dwellers, multies, for example, in the 20long. But you may need additional GH and buffer depending on your water.

3. OP
    OP
    X

X5_125galNew MemberMember

Thanks for the ideas, shell dwellers are a great idea and seem like a lot of fun. I do have three 10 gal also set up as hospital, breeding, and quarantine tanks as well! So far I have used all three for quarantine but as I start getting more livestock I plan on using one for each as I mentioned above.

4. sweendog87

sweendog87Valued MemberMember

I would do lake specific tanks ahave a Tanganikan malawi and south and central American and then a live bearer tank

5. OP
    OP
    X

I will see what I can come up with for each location you mentioned. Do live bearers need to be in brackish water? I have watched many videos and I remember correctly that's what's common between them all.

6. DHIWZ

DHIWZValued MemberMember

A little salt helps since they are hard water fish, but I don't think they need to be in brackish water.

So many tanks! Where are you finding the space to keep them all? I think if I had this many tanks I'd do a sort of aquarium gallery featuring biotopes from all over the world. Maybe one each for Southeast Asia, South America, Africa, and Australia/Central America.

7. BettaPonic

BettaPonicWell Known MemberMember

You could build brackish water or even saltwater tank for many Livebearers. For a small unique livebearer Least Killifish is a good option. There are many exotic Livebearers most people have ever heard of. If you want brackish water Micropoecilloa picta could be a choice. Your water is hard enough for many Livebearers. Neoheterandia elegans is a nice nano livebearer. Some Limias can work. Porthole livebearer can work. There are a few I am blacking out on. I know some skiffias will work.

8. OP
    OP
    X

I have most of the tanks in my home office and the other couple are in my loft, still planning on more but what I have will do for awhile.

Thanks for the info BettaPonic I do enjoy Livebearers just haven't done must research on them, if all you need to do is put a certain amount of salt in the tank that's easy. I will have to look into all of the ones you mentioned above, I believe there is a guy who does Livebearers in the Denver area that's well know for them, as I live in Denver so might be a perfect fit!

9. BettaPonic

BettaPonicWell Known MemberMember

You could keep Livebearers. Watching fry grow up. You get to se generations of fish.
    5 gallon
    Heterandria formosa – Least Killifish
    Neoheterandria elegans – Tiger Teddy
    poecilopsis-gracilus

10 gallon
    Girardinus metallicus – Metallic Girardinus
    Limia nigrofasciata (Hump-backed Limia, Black-barred Limia)
    Poecilia wingei – Endler’s Livebearer

20 gallon
    Xiphophorus maculatus – Platy
    xiphophorus-variatus
    poecilia-reticulata
    micropoecilia-picta
    poecilia-sphenops

30 gallon
    ameca-splendens
    xiphophorus-hellerii
    poecilia-latipinna

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice