4 ideas for stocking, can you help me?

1. Dylfish2000 Member Member

So my 15 gallon column has been cycling for about 3 weeks and I will adding fish soon. I'm having trouble deciding what to get for his tank, however I have narrowed down the options that I like and have some ideas

1. Livebearers (platys,swordtails,etc.) I like how easy this fish are, my only concern is they breed like wildfire

2. An axolotl: the tank is technically large enough for one adult but it's taller than it is long, which may be an issue (13L-13W-18H I believe)

3. Indian Dwarf puffers: only concern is that these may be difficult to find and I have no idea how to breed snails for a food source.

4. Some other small fish: The tank really isn't good for schooling fish, so any other ideas for stocking appreciated. I will say, not interested in betas since I already have one in a 4 gallon filtered tank. Also not so crazy about invert only. Any ideas however, are welcome

Thanks ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465265709.028069.jpg

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

1. This tank is too small for most all livebearers unfortunately. It has a very small footprint, leaving you with very restricted stocking options. A few male endlers would be the only commonly-available livebearers that might work in this tank (and even that's pushing it).

2. Axolotl is definitely not appropriate for this tank. It's too tall with too small of a footprint.

3. 2-3 dwarf puffers would work (1 male, 1-2 females) if you could find them. Mine swam vertically just as often as horizontally, so I think you'd be safe to stock those. They eat pest snails, and those are super easy to breed. We can help you with this option if you can find dwarf puffers.

4. You could do a few Asian stone catfish or scarlet badis? So that way you still have fish.

3. Dylfish2000 Member Member

Thanks, if anyone knows any good fish stores around Nashua NH that has these puffers any help is appreciated. Also, Are there any major difference between Indian dwarfs and juvenile green spotted? (Green spotted are brackish, don't want those.)

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Their spots and coloration are very different. If you have questions, you can post pics when you're at the store and we can help!

You can also order fish online. I've had good success with that, as have many other members.

5. Dylfish2000 Member Member

Thank you I might try that