4 Hours Of Co2 Enough Per Day?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How long has the tank been running? I ask because that seems like a lot of light and if you aren't heavily planted and dosing ferts on a regular basis, dosing CO2 will actually be detrimental to your tank.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the drop checker is green when the lights come on and stays green for 4 hours, you should be fine. See how Baby tears are doing. They need high light and CO2 to thrive.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dunno, perhaps it's relative and depends. on one of my experimental/newre planted tanks, I run the CO2 about 8 hours per day without a drop checker most of the time--I just eyeball it: When the plants are pearling, usually indicates enough, even with more of the higher light and CO2 carpeters. They seem to be growing like mad and with minimal algae--like...almost none. What I do, as it's just me, is dose small amounts of Excel every other day. But...every tank IS different. 4 hours isn't a lot in a 55 gal. unless you're borderline gassing your fish, which obviously you don't wanna do...oh and just how long are your lights on for? Your answer will also give us a much better idea!

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Usually people turn CO2 on 2 hours before lights on, 1 hour before lights off. You don't want to have fluctuating CO2 while lights are on, that could cause algae.

Landen Birch

Reaction score
Lights are on 8 hours a day.

Tank has been running roughly 4 months. CO2 added this week. 4 hrs a day. It’s only DIY CO2 and it’s only consistent for about 4 hours then bubbles slow to nothing. That’s why i ask

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Landen Birch said:
Lights are on 8 hours a day.

Tank has been running roughly 4 months. CO2 added this week. 4 hrs a day. It’s only DIY CO2 and it’s only consistent for about 4 hours then bubbles slow to nothing. That’s why i ask
On something as large as a 50 you may as well invest in injected CO2. Consistent, long lasting, and more powerful than DIY.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's actually not bad at all, especially in a 55 that's just about almost "seasoned"/matured at about 4 months time frame; although do keep in mind, you can always scrutinze and adjust accordingly, thus, if you were to check your light parameters first and foremost, as that will allow you to steadily determine any potential new growth as let's say, over a week's time since you newly intergrated the addition of your DIY set-up. If it's only an average of about 4 hours, as Makeila said, 2 hours prior to activation, and then 1 hour rescinding time/lights out time. I usually do 1 hour before and afterwards though, because I just have a LOT of plants! lol In essence, think of it as a marathon of sorts: prior to the main event, the warm-up with stretching and minor exercises, and near the end of the marathon, a cool down time for the appropriate stage of photosynthesis. Basically, monitor your light levels as priority one. your Excel will also act as a deterrent for any algae, and will help keep it in check a bit. Continue to demonstrate affluence in your ferts dosing as well, keep it in check, and consistently do it SLOWLY, much like your CO2 is. Yes, and since it's a larger tank and has a much larger surface area to cover, may I suggest a circulation fan (unless you have one already that is! Heh) to aid in stimulating CO2 as sporadic as possible, as m uch as possible, especially if your CO2's only on for the 4 hour average time etc.

Landen Birch

Reaction score
Circulation fan is right next to CO2. Almost no bubbles reaching surface from diffuser.

4 hours is a low amount of CO2, but it’s better than nothing am I right?

It’s going to boost my plant growth just not AS much as if i could keep it on for 7 hours?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Fahn entirely, as DIY's can get a bit labor intensive and kinda frustrating! Almost weekly maintenance...mostly, it can be a bit inconsistent--hence your only 4 hours of CO2! So one of my 10 gallon, mid-tech tanks, I actually bought a cheap Fluval 45 gram CO2 kit from Petco, and use cheap $3 bicycle CO2 cartridges. Every day the CO2's running about 6-7 hours, and each cartridge lasts about a week to a week and a half--thus, for only about $6 every 2 weeks. On another 20L tank, has a very large paintball CO2 canister as well. Although usually those require an adaptor, which you can pick up at Home Depot or Lowe's etc. The paintball CO2 tank is refillable for about $4.

Landen Birch

Reaction score
CRAZY YOU MENTION BIKE TIRE REFILLS

I purchased the same Fluval 45g kit and used it on my other 20G tank it ran out and refills were expensive.

Bought these bike tire refills here , but they have a leak when I screw them in. I nearly exploded one of them. Is there a way to make sure they don’t leak? Or did i not screw it in far enough maybe?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well your tank has a LOT of surface to cover in such a short time. Good you have a fan! : ) As I said, it's up to you in the long run...experiment with more, or less light...and more or less CO2 until you see results, however the primary key IS: do it SLOWLY. Can't rush nature my friend! FYI, some of my tanks have diffusers...some don't Most of them are run through airstones since it's MUCH cheaper! (and kinda "ghetto", even though I am NOT at all ghetto lol)

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SFGiantsGuy said:
I agree with Fahn entirely, as DIY's can get a bit labor intensive and kinda frustrating! Almost weekly maintenance...mostly, it can be a bit inconsistent--hence your only 4 hours of CO2! So one of my 10 gallon, mid-tech tanks, I actually bought a cheap Fluval 45 gram CO2 kit from Petco, and use cheap $3 bicycle CO2 cartridges. Every day the CO2's running about 6-7 hours, and each cartridge lasts about a week to a week and a half--thus, for only about $6 every 2 weeks. On another 20L tank, has a very large paintball CO2 canister as well. Although usually those require an adaptor, which you can pick up at Home Depot or Lowe's etc. The paintball CO2 tank is refillable for about $4.
I paid $25 for a year's worth of CO2 with a 5 pound canister. Many gas companies will do exchange programs where you rent a tank, then bring it back and swap it out for a full one as needed.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SFGiantsGuy said:
That's super cheap!!! Holy macaroni...
Check locally and see if there is a gas supplier, beverage service (they supply CO2 for softdrink dispensers), or even a welding shop. Most will either do exchanges or refill an existing tank for dirt cheap.

Keep in mind a paintball regulator won't work on standard canisters and you'd need an adapter or a regulator for larger canisters.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah head to Home depot for an adaptor. WalMart may even have 'em too...MAY have 'em...I think I'm gonna get a bigger canister for my main 55 gal. now!!! Muchas gracias Fahn sir, heh

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SFGiantsGuy said:
Yeah head to Home depot for an adaptor. WalMart may even have 'em too...MAY have 'em...I think I'm gonna get a bigger canister for my main 55 gal. now!!! Muchas gracias Fahn sir, heh
To put it into perspective, 5 pounds is approximately 2268 grams, equal to about 50 Fluval CO2 canisters. If one canister lasts a week that's almost a full year for a fraction of the cost.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah the pic I uploaded was from the 10 gallon mid-tech 16 gram mini-tiny cart. Gonna head out now to pick up a 5lb. tank for the 55 now here! Thank you sir!

Landen Birch

Reaction score
Mini cartridge with Teflon tape to make sure it’s secure sound like a good idea? Still have 20+ 16g canisters left and my Fluval still here

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom