4 angels or ???????

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My tanks are cycled and happy. I need to update profile info. The 46 is housing 4 skunk cories and will soon have the 3 bronze cories that's being quarantined in the 10. So that's a total of 7 cories in the 46 eventually (if no one in QT dies). I thought I was settled on finishing the tank out with a BN Pleco, a pearl gourami, a German ram pair, and 1-2 angels. I've been unable to decide on how many angels so I emailed angels plus and angels USA. They both recommended anywhere from 4-6 angels for my tank.

So here's my dilemma and what I want opinions on. Do I

1) Get 4 angels along with the cories? I would be adding nothing else. Or

2) Stick with my original plan of diversity (cories, gourami, BN Pleco, rams) and 1-2 angels

I've never had angels before so that's why I'm unsure on numbers.

angelou

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are irresponsible nincompoops for suggesting 4 angels.

Unless they have some magical way of promising you 4 females, you are going to end up w/ WW3 in your tank when they hit maturity. And since you really can't sex them until maturity, they can't make that promise.

Additionally, SIX angels would grossly overstock your tank. There is room for 4 and only 4. 6 would require 60 gallons at an absolute minimum.

Angels need to be kept as singles, mated pairs, or in groups of 7+ (and frankly, I'd say 9+). They also need 29 gallons for the 1st (some people will say 20, I don't think so)- you can do a mated pair in a 29 as well, but then you need 10 gallons more for each additional angel, so if you want an angel tank, you really need a 100 gallon tank.

So, your original plan is beautiful. Their plan is going to get someone killed.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't put 4 angels in a 46gal. If they pair off and mate, you could potentially have World War III on your hands, as a 36" tank isn't enough room for two territories. Also, adult angels get fairly large (6" from nose to tail and 8-10" from tip to tip vertically), so four adult angels in a 46gal would be cramped.

I'd stick with your original plan.

Ninja'd by angelou!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! So would ya'll say go for 1 angel or try to get a mated pair? I really don't care anything about breeding but I don't want two fighting. So best chances for that would be mates, right?

Moneypenny1967

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They do live for 10-12 years so if you can find a mature pair then I would go that way.Easier than getting 6 juvies and waiting for them to grow and pair off.Then you would have to rehome the ones that didnt pair.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with the rest, they may fit for now but you will have problems, some sooner than others.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are there any problems with getting just one?

Meeps83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nope, the only problem is getting addicted and wanting more!

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am learning that you generally can't keep gouramis with angels. They don't seem to get along for some reason. Something else is that I suspect pearl gouramis need to be kept in groups if they are not to become aggressive, although this is conjecture on my part.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been researching the pearl gouramis alot today. Seems like 1 male and 2 females is a good number for them.

Moneypenny1967

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Had a male pearl for over 6months and took 4 to find him a female(had to find over here)Added female mid sept and so far so good.They are getting on fine with GBR,BN Pleco and even Serpae and Diamond tetras.They are hassling the danios a little but they swim so fast they take of themselves.So a pair may work fine but you don't know until you try.That gives your more options if you want to up your schools of other fish.

angelou

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have kept gold gourami and dwarf gourami with angels no problem.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads