4.5 Hour Drip Acclimation FTW

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ZomZom, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ZomZomValued MemberMember

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but all 11 of the Rummynose Tetras (Hemigrammus bleheri) that I bought Monday are alive and well. After losing six of the nine Cardinals I had drip acclimated previously, I decided to slow down the acclimation from my previous one hour 20 minutes.

This time I dripped for a total of four hours 30 minutes. For the first two hours I dripped at a rate of one drop per second. Then, I increased to three-four drops per second, removing about 1/3 of the water each half hour after that.

They are schooling nicely and have more color in their noses and tails than they did in the store. I'm feeling optimistic. :;fr

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

I was reading up on cardinals and it seems that if they are acclimated slowly (like you are doing) they seem to have a good survival rate and seem to be fairly hardy.

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I've always felt that the drip acclimation is best for fish that we bring home from the pet stores.

Let's not forget about Quarantine :)

Ken

4. loachaholicValued MemberMember

Good to hear your rummies are healthy! Going to be doing this myself later today, makes me a bit more confident.

Don't feel too bad about your Cardinals, they're a hard fish to settle in. My mom lost 7 of her 8.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice