3rd or 2nd day of cycling

Angelika
2,3rd,4th 5th day readings of cycle

07/05/08 Day 1:
Added water to 20 gal, plants, gravel and had no choice but to add fish due to tank transfer, also added some seeded filter stuff from old tank. Added water conditioner and 4 capfuls of Cycle.

07/06/07 Day 2:
Temp 78
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

07/07/08 Day 3: 30% water change
Temp 76
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Tomorrow if my readings show no ammonia, shall I not do a water change?

0morrokh
If your amm & nitrite are 0 and nitrate is <20, I can't see a reason to do a WC. Sounds like the filter seeding worked well. Is the tank fully stocked? If not, when you add more fish just monitor it more closely in case you get a minI cycle. Otherwise, sounds like you're good to go.

Angelika
OK.... that is good news then, thankyou! , Id like to transfer my Angel to the 20 gal and move my platys back to my small 12 gal... so I guess Ill check my levels tomorrow and if all looks OK, then Ill make the switch tomorrow.... could I put another angel in the 20 gal, or is it not big enough......... and if I cannot put another angel in there, what can I put with him so he won't traumatize them....

0morrokh
I don't know much about angels but I think the recommended size for a pair is 30 gals.

Lucy
I've read that Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria to properly cycle a tank.
If the bacteria from your used filter media took hold, great!
Just keep your eye on the parameters for a while.

tzqng8
The deal with Cycle is that the bacteria will not continue growing on it's own and will die if the Cycle is not continually added. While you keep adding it, things will be fine, but when you stop (cause you think the colony of bacteria is good to go), they will die and release all of the Ammonia they are holding onto back into the tank (plus not "eat" anymore). Then, you're back to a cycle.

If you want to try and kick start the cycle, I'd firstly recommend using some of someone's else's filter media or substrate if at all possible (and it is a good tank). If not, get your self some BIO-Spira/SafeStart.

This is all from what I have read. No experience with the product called Cycle

Information contained in this post was mainly gleaned from other posts, especially from COBettaCouple. Hope I can do you proud!

Angelika
Oh Yikes - Ammonia

ok................ Ammonia started today...

I got a reading of:

PH 7.6
Ammonia: 0.25 - .50 I couldnt tell the difference between the colours..
Nitrite: 0 - 2.5, the test tube colour was a mix between the 2

Nitrate: I have no idea I went into 'OH NO GOTTA CHAMGE MY WATER' mode and forgot to take this measurement..

Fish seem to be OK.....

I have read the nitrogen cycle over and over again.... so now, if I understand correctly I do a 50% water change every day while I read Ammonia...

I also stopped the Cycle as of yesterday....

how long do I have to wait before I can recheck the water and do another 50% water change.... do I have to wait 24 hours, or could I do it in the morning....

Angela_96
ok................ Ammonia started today...

I got a reading of:

PH 7.6
Ammonia: 0.25 - .50 I couldnt tell the difference between the colours..
Nitrite: 0 - 2.5, the test tube colour was a mix between the 2

Nitrate: I have no idea I went into 'OH NO GOTTA CHAMGE MY WATER' mode and forgot to take this measurement..

Fish seem to be OK.....

I have read the nitrogen cycle over and over again.... so now, if I understand correctly I do a 50% water change every day while I read Ammonia...

I also stopped the Cycle as of yesterday....

how long do I have to wait before I can recheck the water and do another 50% water change.... do I have to wait 24 hours, or could I do it in the morning....

when I have had ammonia/nitrites in my tanks I do the water change and wait at least til the next morning to test the water.
If you are using an apI test kit go under bright light and put the tube over the white part of the card, when I cannot tell the color that usually will make the difference.

Angelika
Thankyou, I will check the water in the morning it will be about 12 hours since the test and water change this evening, and if I read ammonia and nitrites again Ill do a 50% water change again.....

Angela_96
Thankyou, I will check the water in the morning it will be about 12 hours since the test and water change this evening, and if I read ammonia and nitrites again Ill do a 50% water change again.....

no problem, btw I have freaked out reading just ammonia and nitrites in my tank and didn't do the rest of my testing... just went to water change plans

Angelika
Day 4. 12 hours since my water change and slight Ammonia spike

Am: 0
Ni: 0
Nitrate: 10

So should I do a water change or not today. I will presume I do not... shall I test again this evening. which will be 24 hours then total since I had the ammonia levels rise. I want to stay ontop of this precisely because of my poor fishies in the tank.

tzqng8
Hold off for another 12 hours and test again (if you can). If you get readings, change then.

mrsmuffin
I don't know what water conditioner you are using, but most around here would recommend Prime, especially if you aren't sure if you are cycled because it will help the water not be toxic to the fish.

Angelika
I went to 4 fish stores.... 2 mom and pop and 2 chain stores, and each one told me they don't sell Prime anymore... I am using water conditioners though... so I feel OK about that.

I tested again this evening, I only did Ammonia and Nitrite and they were both 0.....

so we shall see tomorrow .....

thankyou everyone for your help!!!!

Angela_96
I went to 4 fish stores.... 2 mom and pop and 2 chain stores, and each one told me they don't sell Prime anymore... I am using water conditioners though... so I feel OK about that.

I tested again this evening, I only did Ammonia and Nitrite and they were both 0.....

If you stay w/ the -0- for ammonia and nitrites and + for nitrates for a few days then you know you are cycled! Way to go! Hopfully it will stay down like that.

0morrokh

Sounds good...what conditioner are you using?

Angelika
I am using Aqua Plus by Nutrafin.. and I'm using the amount for Chloromine...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kupcake
Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views
LauraSG
Replies
Views