3d Printed Decor In Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MaximumRide14, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

My brother just got a 3D printer and he printed me a little octopus decor. I was just curious if I could somehow use 3D printed decor like this in a tank? Thanks! Image1528941926.753090.jpg

2. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

that is sooo cute! maybe if you cover it in epoxy or something similar?

3. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Thanks! It even has eyebrows lol. I can try. I’m not exactly sure what material it is but I can try to find out.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

It's so cute! If it's some type of polymer or similar to PVC I think it should be fine.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

If it's food safe, it should be safe for your aquarium. So maybe you would be able to find out if you can use the 3D printer to make plates or mugs that can but eaten off of of drank from.

6. tetratetris

tetratetris Valued Member Member

Agreed

7. d

devan221 Valued Member Member

Its probably ok as is.

8. l

loner556 New Member Member

Make sure you find out what the printer material is. If it's ABS, do not use it in the tank as ABS can leech toxic chemicals. If it's PLA, it's corn based and is generally considered safe but there's still some debate there as well because of the additional additives for color etc. I'd strongly recommend caution in putting it in your tank and if you do, I'd completely seal it in a fish safe epoxy.

9. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

That's cool! Not sure if it's safe. But that 3d printer would be awesome to make molds with for using aquarium safe resins like in this link. Scroll down to the pics.  

10. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

I dont see why not. Store bought decorations are plastic, resins, ceramics, paints, etc. Our filter bodies, the foam & media we put in them are plastic, etc. I cant imagine why that would be any different.

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

That’s super cool! I want one for my tank :)

12. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

I’m pretty sure it’s PLA. I think that’s what he said the filament was. But I can try to get some epoxy.

Thx

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice