39 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fish beginner, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Fish beginnerNew MemberMember

So I already have a female betta in the tank. I want to put more fish that the betta would along with.

Attached Files:

2. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

Do you know how temperate the betta is???
    I ask because some of my bettas will be fine in a community tank, and others can’t even handle snails.

3. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

I took this at my LFS. Here are some great suggestions.
    [​IMG]
    "Betta Friends
    10Gal
    Tank
    > Neon
    > Glo-Tetra
    > Raspbora
    > White Cloud
    > Cory Catfish"

4. TucanSamValued MemberMember

As lollipop said, it really depends on the betta. Some can work in a community tank (although be vary wary of fin nipping fish) while others a re little murder amachines. It's kind of a roll of the dice until you know for sure. Do you have a smaller tank to separate the betta out into in case it doesn't work?

5. Fish beginnerNew MemberMember

She's the clamest one out of the 2 I have because I've had her with neon before and Cory's. Also shrimp.

6. Elle2128Valued MemberMember

7. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Definitely cories.

A lot of people keep bettas with ember tetras.

8. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

I do respectfully have to disagree with most of the fish on this list for a few reasons. Firstly, there are temperature incompatibilities with the fish such as neons. I’m not saying they can’t live together, but it isn’t best for either fish.
    Also, some are space incompatible in a ten gallon.

On a different note, a BN pleco, shrimp, snails, and harlequin rasboras (in groups of 6 plus) should all work well. In addition, some cories may work. I say may just because I don’t have experience with cories whereas the other fish I’ve kept bettas with before.

9. Fish beginnerNew MemberMember

My tank is around 75-78°f

10. Elle2128Valued MemberMember

White cloud temperature parameters are, if I recall, 64-72 degrees F.

11. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

As do i, but my LFS has white clouds with bettas in several tanks, and openly suggest it to new owners.

Fair enough, I don't see why an established LFS would lead people in the wrong direction when they have a tank with all of those fish under the sign. I have 3 raspboras with my King Betta and they do great, now I'm wary whether or not to get white clouds because of the immediate reaction I've noticed..

12. TucanSamValued MemberMember

One of my LFS sells fish to anyone asking without checking their tank size. A few people bought some redhook silver dollars for a 50 gallon before I could say anything. They also sell painted glassfish. Does it make them evil? no, not really. They're a business. They do what makes them the most money. People won't like being told they can't keep whatever they want with their new betta.

Most fish stores act in their own self interest, not that of the fish. Their job is to make money, and as long as the fish don't die they are doing their job correctly. Doesn't mean they're doing the best for the fish.

13. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

Sometimes LFS’s are just misinformed. If it were my tank, I’d get more rasboras in lue of white clouds just because of temp and IMO a big school looks better than 2 small schools.

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

LFS are just misinformed and also trying to sell fish. I personally never like taking advice from the fish store.