39 Gallon Hob Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Amcdonald58, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Amcdonald58

Amcdonald58Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    My hob filter that I bought with the tank just broke. I haven't actually set the tank up yet. I'm looking for filter suggestions for the tank. I would like something fairly quiet

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Experience:
    2 years
    Depending on if you want to stick with an HOB or do a canister which are much quieter. And depending on what your planning on stocking it with. I would either go with an AquaClear 50-70 for a HOB or a Fluval 306 for a canister. There are many others but i've had good luck with both of them brands.

3. Squidgy

SquidgyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Would definatly recomend the fluval 306. I've got 2 x 305's that i've had working full time for nearly 10 years, only changed the impeller on one of them once, and i've just purchased a 406 that i'm well impressed with.

4. OP
    OP
    Amcdonald58

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    thank for the suggestions, I will look into aquaclear. I'm strictly looking for hob filters as I don't have the money for a canister. Do you guys have any other suggestions for hob's.

5. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would suggest the Seachem Tidal 75 for that tank for the benefits.

The have these advantages over all other HOB filters.

1. A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.

2. Draws water from three locations, top (skimmer), middle and bottom for better water filtering, not just the bottom.

3. Another knob to totally shut off the bottom intake if you only want to filter the middle and top of your tank only.

4. If the mechanical media at the lower portion of the media basket ever gets clogged it has a slightly higher bypass in the basket so the water will still be filtered through your media and continues to run efficiently.

5. Media basket locks in place so it will never rise up pushing the media up high possibly causing an overflow and flooding your floor.

6. Removable no spill media basket comes out for easy cleaning using the lid as a no spill carrying tray. Don’t even have to turn off the unit either.

7. Self priming w/submerged under water pump so it’s quiet and you never have to worry about it not starting recovering from maintenance or a power failure, especially if you are not home.

8. Includes the best media, Seachem Matrix, that handles 100 gallons that can harbor anaerobic bacteria needed to reduce Nitrates.

9. Self cleaning impeller. From Seachem Support: The self cleaning feature of the Tidal Filters can be explained by the structure and build of the impeller housing. There is a groove in the Tidal 55 that goes through the slot where the impeller stays and it will continuously clean the impeller of any debris or buildup. For Tidal 75 and 110, where the impeller goes that continuously flushes a little bit of water through the back to keep it cool and quite clean. The 75 and 110 have the same mechanism.

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Experience:
    2 years
    I believe the Tidals are also good filters. I don't use them but i've heard others speak highly of them.

7. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Experience:
    2 years
    petco has the save $30 on $100 purchase right now.

during previous sales i had bought two AquaClear50s for my 29 gallon. and i also bought two AC70's for my future 75 gallon as soon as Petco has their tank sale again. if Petco carried the Tidals I would have gotten them just for the self priming internal motor.

8. OP
    OP
    Amcdonald58

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    the tidal's look like a great option, I really like that they don't use filter cartridges. I think I will go with either the seachem 35 or 55 for my tank.

9. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just make sure you get one that is sized right for your tank. For a 39 gallon tank you would need about 310-390 gph. That's why the suggestion of the Tidal 75 at 350 gph was offered.

10. OP
    OP
    Amcdonald58

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    So my 39 gallon had an object fall on it, luckily still empty. So I will be getting a 20 gallon long to replace it. Would the tidal make a good beta community tank filter?

11. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A Seachem Tidal 55 will work at 250 gph.

12. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Experience:
    2 years
    at the 10 minute mark you can see the flow rate differences