38 heavy planted double checking my stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kidster9700, Jul 7, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, I just want to make sure I'm good and see if I have space left. I've recently moved some guys around so what's on my profile isn't 100% up to date.
    Fish that are there and staying:
    4 platy
    2 pearl gourami (currently both are male I'm hoping to replace one)
    1 female betta (don't bother me with compatibility for her she has the same temperament as my platies)
    6 Julii cories
    1 gold inca snail
    1 black/ivory mystery snail
    1 zebra nerite
    1 bumblebee catfish
    (Plus ramshorns and mts and bladder snails that need a pop control soon)
    Currently in there but leaving:
    2 glolight tetras
    Possibly some ghost shrimp and a few cherry shrimp (going into a quarantine until I get a heater cover then either going back in or getting their own shrimp tank)
    What I want to add:
    Bamboo shrimp
    Replace the ghost shrimp for sure
    Two more mystery snails

I'm pretty sure I'm full at the moment but I don't know if I have space to maybe just add a female pearl and leave the second male? Or maybe a small school of zebra danios... No, that's too much. Maybe some cardinals. I have an aqueon whisper 30 filter (up to 40gal) that can be upgraded if needed but it works well for my tank currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Oh! Or a small school of harlequin rasboras. I like those guys and they would add a nice flair to my tank.

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have a school of 5 harlequin rasboras and they are lovely peaceful fish. Alison

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would do a school of small fish also. Would probably upgrade the filter though.

5. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

I love my harlequins! They're so pretty and are just a lovely fish and get so excited to see me at feeding time :) I think they'd make a great addition!

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I added the black mystery snail today, and I'm going to look into the harlequins sometime next week I think. Do I have space for 6-8 or should I stick with maybe just 5?

7. bettamars

You could probably get 6-8 I think.

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

That's considering I get a filter upgrade, of course.

9. bettamars

Yes, I would shoot for at least rated for 10 gallons above your size tank. At least that's just my rule :p Just remember to put your filter media into the new filter so you don't lose your cycle. I could see myself forgetting to do that when changing filters :eek:

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I can't/won't lose my cycle with all my plants. Especially if I do the water change, wait a week and switch filters (new media), then don't do another water change until the next week. My tank only took three days to cycle.

EDIT and that was three days WHILE I was adding plants.

11. bettamars

Wow! That's very lucky! I had my tank cycling for 3 weeks before with no nitrites yet. I ended up moving it and probably loosing my cycle (I was going fishless) so I gave up and got tetra safe start and used the pure ammonia with that. So it's been almost 2 months and I only added my first fish a week and a half ago. I added four harlequin rasboras when the cycle finished and got the other four today. Hope you enjoy your harlequins as much as I do :)

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe the bumblebee cats (assuming they are SA) are a schooling fish, so a group of 6+.

13. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

From what I heard bumble bee cats are fine solo or in a school. They get to be too big for me to have a school of them. He seems very happy by himself, though. Neat little dude.

14. Anders247

Really? I thought they only got 2 inches.....

15. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Are we confusing them with bumblebee cichlids maybe?

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Bumblebee catfish get to be like 4-6 inches unless you end up with this thing called a giant bumblebee catfish that gets to be like 10 inches.

17. Anders247

Planet catfish says they get 2.8 inches.

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well mine is 4 inches long. Bumblebee catfish is the name of many different types of catfish.

19. Anders247

Yours isn't Microglanis iheringi then, could you post a pic?

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Here it is. Gets 6" shouldn't be housed with other bumblebee catfish, and mine loves this pitch black "cave" under my driftwood which sounds like the right personality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice