38 Gallon Stocking

1. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

Does this stock work for a 38g tank? Am I overstocked or do I have more room? And are all of these fish temp compatible?

1-2 marble angelfish
    8-10 black neon tetras
    8-10 cherry barbs
    1 BN pleco

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

1 Angelfish
    12 Black Neon Tetras, or 10 Cherry Barbs
    8 Corydoras
    1 Clown Pleco (likes higher temps)

You were not overstocked IMO but the Tetras could have been stressed with an angelfish and another middle schooler.

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions? I would do a clown pleco instead of a BN pleco.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You also have room for a school of sterbai or aeneus cories on the bottom. I also agree, do a clown pleco instead of a BN.

5. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Dimensions are 36l x 20h x 12w. I will change the bn pleco to a clown. I'm not a fan of cories so is there another mid dwelling school that could work with the cherry barbs? I'd prefer two schools of fish if possible. Also what would be the ideal temp for this setup?

6. goplecos

Cardinal Tetras are a little bigger so won't be bullied by the other fish. Instead of Corys you could do Kuhlis.

7. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

So would this work?

2 Angelfish (Can I fit both or should I stick to just one?)
    8-10 cherry barbs
    8-10 cardinal tetras
    1 clown pleco

I'd prefer just to have the pleco, but I might think about adding a school of kuhli loaches in the future.

8. Anders247

What about a german blue ram for the bottom? I'd stick to one angel, personally.

9. goplecos

I would do:
    1 angelfish
    8 Cherry Barbs
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    1 Clown Pleco
    2 GBRs (1 male female)

10. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

I'll go with one angel then.
    This is my stocking plan for now:

1 Marble angelfish
    8 cherry barbs
    10 cardinal tetras
    1 clown pleco

I'm debating whether or not I want to add another cichlid, but if I do, I'd prefer an electric blue ram. Would that be suitable in place of the GBR? Could I have a male/female pair of those? I prefer the appearance of the EBR, and I've heard that GBRs can be a little delicate.

11. Anders247

Yes, an electric blue is fine. They are just as delicate as GBRs though, they are the same exact species, just a different color variant.

12. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Ok. I'll decide if I want to add the EBR or not once the tank is established. If I do, a male and female pair is fine right? And what is the ideal temperature for this setup? I'm thinking 80-82?

13. Anders247

Yes, that is fine. 80 F is good.

14. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Cool thank you.

15. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I would wait 3 months after your tank is established and then get your EBR.

16. Anders247

No problem!

17. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

So I've been thinking about the stocking for this tank and I've made some modifications. Would this work?

1 Marble Angelfish
    10-12 green neon tetras (I've heard they're a little bigger than regular neons, are they big enough to not get eaten by the angel?)
    8 serpae tetras
    1 Clown pleco
    2 EBR (possibly)

18. Anders247

Green neons actually get smaller than regular neons, so nix those. Black neons would be better. Serpaes are also a bad mix with an angel, do diamond tetras instead of those.

19. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Ok so no green neons. I'm not really a fan of diamond tetras (just look a little bland to me) so I'll go back to the cherry barbs. I'm just going to stick with my original plan I guess. Is it possible to up the cherry barbs to 10 and the cardinals to 12 or is that overstocked? Also is it a good idea to get the angel as a juvenile and the tetras/ barbs as adults or does it not really matter in this case? I just don't want them to be eaten.

20. Anders247

I'd keep the numbers where you had them planned.