38 Gallon Reef

1. 2

2714fish Valued Member Member

Hello everyone,
    I am setting up a saltwater tank. It is going to be 38 gallons, and will be a reef tank. I have stock for corals, and fish, and was hoping everyone could look it over and tell me if everything is compatible, peaceful, good amounts/stock numbers, and just good overall. I also listed the equipment i will be using, and would appreciate if everyone could tell me if it was good, and adequete. Thanks.

The equipment i will have is:
    - 38 gallon tank
    - Fluval 206 canister filter
    - Coralife Turbo-Twist 3x UV sterilizer
    - Coralife 6,700k daylight light
    - Live Sand
    - Live or Dry rock
    - Heater
    Is that everything i would need? Also is that good equipement and everything? What about a protien skimmer, is it necessary?

The fish i was thinking are:
    - 2 Ocellaris Clownfish
    - 3 Blue Green Chromis
    - 1 Banggai Cardinal
    - 1 Firefish
    - 1 Bi-Color Blenny
    - 1 "Centerpiece" fish
    - Clean up crew
    Does that all sounds good? Will all the fish get along, and be peaceful together? What centerpiece fish is good? Also is that an appropriate stocking for my equipment and tank size?

The clean up crew i was thinking is:
    - 9 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
    - 6 Dwarf Yellow Tip Hermit Crabs
    - 2 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
    - 3 Mexican Turbo Snails
    - 3 Margarita Snails
    - 1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    Does this sound good? Too big? Too small?

The Coral i was thinking are:
    - WWC Firefly Pavona
    - WWC Cactus Pavona
    - LA Lakers Scroll
    - WWC Honeycomb Leptastrea
    - Green Star Polyp
    - War Coral
    - Pink Polyp Montipora Cap
    - Duncanopsammia
    - Cat Eye Zoanthids
    - Candy Cane Coral
    - Indonesian Zoanthids
    - Pom-Pom Xenia
    - Zoanthid Frag(s)
    - Acropora Frag

All the coral would be ordered from World Wide Corals. Do they all sound pretty good?

Please everyone tell me your thoughts on everything such as the stocking for everything, and the equipment. Will all the fish be peaceful?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

- Jack

2. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

I'd say you'd be a little overstocked.

Wrasse want 50G or more. That Flame Fairy one is rated for a minimum of 90G. Then id ditch the Chromis also. Pajama Cardinals are cuter too! LOL.

What light do you have a 1 strip T5 hood? 6700K is very yellowish like daylight but the corals don't look to hot in them. My t-5 hood is 4 wide so 3 bulbs are blue/purple with 1 bulb in that daylight spectrum. Gives the corals a better shine and brings out the colors. The Higher you go in K the bluer/whiter the light gets. It's not more intense it's just the spectrum.

If you're going salt get a skimmer don't cheap out now! Full sail ahead!

Corals are fine i've had almost all of them at 1 point. Don't get Xenia though, they will take over a tank that small. They are a weed!

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Good advice from @DIYhack id drop that fluval 206 and get something more practical to maintain like a hob or just get a protein skimmer. That 206 will just end up a nitrate farm i thought about that before when setting up my reef.

4. OP
    OP

Thanks guys.
    So i will take out the wrasse.

For lights, what is a good one you reccomend?

Also what kind of filter should i get then? I kind of like the canister filter idea, but if it isnt as good then i wont do that...

I also found a tank called the JBJ 45. Would this end up being more cost effecrive if i got this, than if i bought everything seperately?

5. Tragic13

Tragic13 Valued Member Member

Instant Ocean Sea Clone 100 Aquarium Protein Skimmer would be fine! It is a HOB or in sump protein skimmer, usually around $100 for one. Should be fine for that size of a tank, just keep it cleaned regularly.

6. grantm91

I did everything separately both time it wasn't that expensive for what i have. You use buy and sell sites? I do i have a nice 32g rimless i found for £40 !!! Id just get a hob filter its all i have i use it for water polishing and now growing macro algae. Easy Reefing, Reef,fowlr. For The Beginners/minimalist all my stuffs on that thread and the people chatting on there have there threads its a cool little sw community on here if your serious get on it and have a build thread we like getting involved and sharing our problems and helping one another.

7. OP
    OP

Okay. So i will get a skimmer...

Im still a little confused on what the problem with a canister filter is?

And what lights would you all reccomend?

8. grantm91

I have a black box led the cheap one its great but you have to be careful you could easily nuke your corals with it, not very user friendly just good for the price, budget will dictate your light massively. Heres the thing with the canister the fluval has sponge inside which you do not really want for sw its no good, secondly to combat the phosphates and nitrates being produced by the detrius braking up in the sponge you would need to clean at least once a week at least, not practical in the slightest as your live rock provides bio filtration what is that canister doing? Honestly just go on you tube you will see. Look at the hob, aa73df8cdcd7a4c206b2c5d8af877dd7.jpg £12 i paid for that its polishing my water and housing macro algae that absorbs excess nutrients and nitrates. Research is fun do lots!

9. Tragic13

Tragic13 Valued Member Member

I promise you'll be so much happier with a protein skimmer. I agree with Grant on the lights, you need something that produces high quality light for your corals (some blue and white spectrum). I would say try to go LED because it will save you money on your power bill and you can get a LED Chinese black box for a decent price that should be good to go :D!

10. OP
    OP

Okay. So i will try and get the LED Chinese Black Box for my light... And i looked at the protein skimmer and will likely get that too.

What kind of Filter would you all reccomend then? I will have the UV sterilizer, and the protein skimmer. So what other type of filter should i get.

11. grantm91

Well like i said about the hob, its a good water polisher and you can put what you want in there.

12. OP
    OP

So as far as filtration, you think i should have and HOB filter, the UV sterilizer, and a protein skimmer?

13. grantm91

And obviously a good live rock scape for bio filtration, you just need to do some research and see whats best for your needs.

14. OP
    OP

Okay. I was thinking dry rock actually. Is that okay?

And you think it is best to not use a canister filter. Or are there some canister filters that are good?

15. grantm91

No don't use a canister. And yes dry rock is fine if you cure and cycle it my mate @greenbonsai did it good he used dry then got a little bit of wet to seed and even got some hitchers too.

16. OP
    OP

Okay.

What about a sump? Is that a good idea, or not.

What would be best:
    - HOB, UV Sterilizer, Protein Skimmer

- Sump, UV Sterilizer, Protein Skimmer

Which would you reccomend?

17. grantm91

Well yes a sump would be great, the best thing you could have. I don't have one Ive just got a closed system with a hob. Have a look at some stuff, some tanks as you clearly don't know what your going to do yet get some ideas I'm not a tank builder .

18. OP
    OP

Haha okay. I will do lots of research about what i want my filteration system to be.

But other than figuring that out, does everything sound good?

19. grantm91

Well to be honest im not sure on the fish i only have 4 just got a banggai cardi, i also have 2 occelaris clowns and a blue neon gobby and ask for your corals and that id just get started with your rock water and cycle etc then fish then corals, its good to look into but its a long way off.

20. OP
    OP

Oh okay. So you dont really know for sure on the fish?

And yeah. I was planning on cycling with just sand and rock, before adding corals and stuff.

It actually looks like i may do a 55 gallon tank instead... So i will be starting a new thread about that, with questions and everythingthanks for the help on this thread though