38 Bowfront "the Moving Tank"

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by NKlamerus, Feb 23, 2019.

1. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Figured I would start a dedicated thread, mostly where I can keep track for myself of the life of the tank.

As of today I am a week into the first cycle, one pictus catfish, ~40lbs of pool filter sand, Fluval 206, marineland heater, 2 local plants (will need to identify later), 5 bulbs of Italian Val's, and a Tiki in and out of the tank

Named it the moving tank because I was born and raised in NW Florida and recently relocated or Eugene Oregon, with plans to move to Salem Oregon or back to Florida.

Built a stand for it out of 2x5 and some 1/4", still in progress

Only using Prime, Stability, and started using " Tropica Premium Nutrition" today. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Stopped at the hometown fish stores today and wow were they stocked. I was also invited to the local fish group, Willamatte Valley Aquarium Society [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Nice tank. I want a bow front but can't afford it. Maybe I can talk the wife into letting me get one when taxes come in. Do they make them in 55 gallons?

4. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

I'm sure they do, so far I love the look, it's the first Bowfront I've ever had, also the first "tall" tank I've ever had.

I'm 6'3" so I like being able to always see into the tank but it does propose some challenges with decor and plants.

I've already noticed the water flow is much nicer. No hardcore jamming at the cornsrs

5. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I have a 54 gallon bowfront that I adore but it is a corner unit.

6. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Nice tank in your second picture am I seeing what looks like dragon fly larva in the plant

7. aae0130Well Known MemberMember

I do not believe there is a 55 in standard bowfront. As Kimberly mentioned the 54 gallon tanks are corner tanks. The more traditional style bowfronts in that area of size are the 46 and 72. The 46 gallon is 36 inches long. The 72 gallon is 48 inches long.

8. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Is that what they are? I picked 4 of them out today, so far I'm probably at a dozen or so. All in different stages. Lots of dead ones as well, I thought they were mayflies?

They have the 3 little tails sticking out of the end

9. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Thank you for the clarification

I should add that while the Bowfront is nice, another downside to a tall tank is if it has the plastic divider up top that runs between the rims it is much harder to add larger items to the tank!

10. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

B-BAM! New cneterpiece added. Giant peice of bogwood, And what looks like a vampire spike!

Next upgrade will be lighting. Would like to get a real bar that goes across the top for more even coverage.

Need to tidy up the accessories and I'll re-vaccum the sand tomorrow with my water change. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. ndefilNew MemberMember

Looks awesome

12. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Thanks bud!

Definitely planning a yoyo loach in the future, I know it'll enjoy it,

Back when I ran natural limestone in my tanks I had a 3" yoyo loach would find a hole and lock himself in there. Nothing I could do except place the rock in a bucket and hope that he swam out, then hurry up and pull the rock out!

Anything else that will enjoy the holes/crevices?

We were already planning on 8-10 RummyNose tetras, and then one odd fish, either a spotted African leaf fish or another knife fish. Some concern that the leaf fish will attack the RummyNose but I'll try and buy them large or let them grow before added a juvenile leaf.

Undecided on a pleco or snails to help with cleanup. Wife wants an army of snails.

13. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Pictus is acting kinda weird since I put the log in.

Pretty much avoiding it all together, might have a chance to explore tonight and settle in? [​IMG]

14. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Got the beginning of the stand shell done. Really added some strength. [​IMG]

15. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

If you put any small fish in there with the dragon fly larva the chances are they will kill them it's important you clear the tank of all of them they are nasty things to have in a tank, if you had the plants from the same place you need to check them all

16. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Looks really nice.

17. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Things have settled just wish the pictus would get out of the corner! He's pacing around the filter inlet?

18. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

First water change done with new decor, was able to vaccum up most the wood pieces, pictus got scared to the bottom but he's panting pretty hard.

Also found a little 1" pink worm, probably from the driftwood [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

Got the desk lamp mounted up. It was free so I'll definitely take the free light, it's a different color than the led bars that came with the tank too

I've got some white spots/clouds on the inside of the glass. (Look in the shadow of the wood) assuming it's bacteria from the cycle.

Still don't have my test kit yet[​IMG][​IMG]

20. NKlamerusValued MemberMember

What a nightmare, its snowing heavy for the first time in my new town in 7 years. This is my first real winter.

Power has been out on the tank for 9 hours, pictus was gasping at the surface when I got home from work. Did a 10 gallon water change with cold water and definitely seemed to help. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice