37g or 40 Breeder?

1. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

We're finalizing some ideas for our other two tanks and wondered how many angels would be comfortable in each size and which they would prefer. I know they like taller tanks, and the 40 breeder is only 16 inches tall where the 37 is 22 inches, but I was curious about opinions on that.

We also wanted to know if there is enough room for a pair in a 37 gallon. If so, its best to get 4 to 6 small ones and see who pairs up? Only problem is how do you make sure you don't get attached to the others ?! LOL

So in short, how many would be comfortable in a 37 and how many in a 40 breeder?

2. Everythingzen

Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Not sure about the breeder, but I had a tank very similar in size to the 37 and I bought 2 young angels, a male and a female, and they didn't really have much choice in pairing. They began breeding about a year after I got them. I then did the same thing with another 2 angels in a larger tank. I bought what looked to be a male and female and they have bred twice. They then stopped, so I'm not sure if that is a fish divorce or what, but they're all happy enough.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. midnamoondog

midnamoondog Well Known Member Member

We started out with a 37 gallon tall and switched to a 40 breeder because it has more surface area for gas exchange. However, for a pair of angels, the 37 might be better in the long-run. We plan on upgrading our 40 before our angels get too big.

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The 37 has better height so a tall fish like angels could make good use of it. Either tank can work fine, though, but I can tell you that a superveil in a 40b looks cramped.

6. OP
    OP
    SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

Thanks guys! I know that its easy to fit a handful in either tank when they're still dime or quarter sized, but we also need to consider the long term housing. I'm rather new with angels, so just curious... if you had say 4 or 5 quarter sized and two paired off, would the other three still get along in a separate tank or would it depend on their sexes (which I know you can't really tell when they're small, just not certain how small).

PS ~ still looking through the links you listed Ken :eek:) thanks again!

7. Everythingzen

Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Unpaired angels should get along if the tank is large enough for them to claim their own space and there is lots of broken sight with plants and so on. They will fight with each other still because that is just the nature of them. Some angels may fight more than others. One might be a bully and cause problems. 3 might all get along great with just occasional spats. Breeding pairs can fight very viciously every time they are getting ready to spawn. They can also change and mellow out as they get older. Sometimes they won't. I wish I could give some kind of definitive advice! It will help if they grow up together, too. In my 40, I had a ferocious pair who fought terribly each month. I was seriously worried about them at first. They bred for ages and one has since died of old age. The male is now in my 75 with an already paired younger pair. I thought for sure there would be trouble because he was a horrible fish back in his day. Of course, he has again proved me wrong and there is total harmony with the 3 angels. He even gets the female to attempt the pre-spawn wrestle, though she never lays eggs for him and he is like some creepy old man fish hitting on a girl less than half his age, lol. Still, he and the other 2 are very peaceful together. It's like they are the kids of a father with dementia, and they humour him a lot. A large tank really will help with lots of issues. Some issues just can't be overcome because cichlids are just cranky!

Also, I'm no sexing expert, but it can be possible to sex a male if he has developed a little earlier when young. If you see the definite lump then you can be fairly sure you're getting a male. You may not be able to tell a female from a slower growing male. I'm not sure what a dime or quarter is, but sometimes a male can be identified early on. Practice in a few fish shops. Stare at their tanks and see if you can estimate which ones are male. It's a good practice!

8. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I've kept three adults in a 30 gal high without any undo problems. They did grow up in that tank together, got them when they were quite small. One was definitely the dominant, but he/she did not "bully" the others, just made sure he/she got his/her way when there was a dispute. No torn fins or injuries. Most of the time, just peaceful, graceful gliding around the tank. No breeding activity, so I probably had all male or all female.