37 Tall New Tank: Help I Got The Bug

1. F

Fish4Leo New Member Member

So it started with my sons betta tank. Whick was a little 3.5 plastic half moon that he got as a gift. I re-worked that one, then upgraded it to a 10 gallon for my birthday. Go figure. I've been wanting to get back into a bigger tank. Well I was at petsmart looking around and found a 37 gallon kit for 50% off. $75 for the whole thing. So I bought it.

Now I need ideas. I think I want to do cichlids. Had them before and loved them. I've also considered doing live plants in this one. Most of the cichlid tanks I see are sand and rock. No biggie. I'm open to other ideas also. Just don't want a pile of little fish. I'd like some interesting ones. Love corys. Gouramis look cool.

What do you think? FYI this is the same as the typical 29 gallon a tank but it's a little taller. I'm sure most of you know that.

Here's some pics of the betta tank evolution just for laughs.

Thanks for the ideas.

Attached Files:

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would do:
    3 Rams (1 male 2 females), or 1 Angelfish
    6 Chocolate Gouramis (1 male 5 females), or 6 Croaking Gouramis (1 male 5 females)
    8-10 Corydoras

OR

3 Rams (1 male 2 females), 6 Chocolate Gouramis (1 male 5 females), or 6 Croaking Gouramis (1 male 5 females)
    1 Angelfish
    8-10 Corydoras

OR

3 Rams (1 male 2 females), or 1 Angelfish
    10 Rummynose Tetras
    8-10 Corydoras

I am not sure what kind of Cory would be best.

Advertisement

3. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I'll leave the stocking to the experts. I just wanted to say I love the betta tank evolution. :)

4. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks for the stocking list. Never even heard of chocolate gourami. Like those.

The Betta tank was fun. Got a really good deal on the 10g

5. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Chocolates are awesome. They were my first Gourami and have a lot of personality.

6. OP
    OP
    F

Here's some fish I'm really interested in. This is not meant to be a stocking list.

Dwarf cichlids. Love the cockatoo, blue rams and a couple others.

Definitely want some bottom dwellers. I like the corys. Also the khuli loach looks cool.

For the top...Hatchet fish look cool. Not really into neons. Maybe some tetras.

Thoughts?

7. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

In my opinion chocolates are not a good option for you, no matter their compatibility. They are the most sensitive, and hard to take care of gourami you can find in most fish stores. It is a big challenge to care for one or two of these, let alone 6. You could probably get a few bristlenose plecos or a few loaches for your tank, only get corys if the other fish you get are okay in slightly cooler temperatures. If you aren't interested in tetras, some other interesting schooling fish are danios (zebra, celestial pearl, glowlight) and rasboras (harlequin, clown, black line).

Advertisement