37 Gallon - What else should I add?

1. YoungClayB Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 37 gallon tank and I need help rounding out my fish stock.

The tank currently has:
    1 Dwarf Gourami (male)
    2 Platys (both female)
    1 Rubber Lipped Pleco (? - male I assume)

I know that I want to add some sort of schooling fish, but I am really not sure what my options are (neons and rasboras are the only ones I know of)...I'd like to know other options for schooling fish along with recommended numbers of each

I've also thought of putting an Angelfish in...good idea?

More DGs?

Cories would also be neat but I am not sure if I would have room once I added the schooling fish.

As you recommend stocking options, also keep in mind that I have an empty 10g aquarium that I will be setting back up soon, so if I need to move any of the current stock over the to 10g, that is an option.

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Hi YoungClayB,

One thing that is important for us to know is how long the tank has been set up, and if it is done cycling.

If it has, and parameters are stable, then I'd say go ahead. However, certain fish like neons and cories should really be added to a matured tank. 6 months being best.

As for stocking options, I would not do an angel, but keep the DG as my centre piece fish. This will clear up more bioload for more smaller fish.

There are many schooling fish that you could do. I guess it depends on what you like! I would keep the size to about 1-2" .

You could do:

Tetras:
    rummy nose, neon/black neon, bloodfin, flame, bleeding heart.
    Rasboras: red tail, harlequin, lambchop... cherry barb, or danios.

Which ever you choose, I would do 5-10.

Then I still think you could do a school of 5 or 6 cories. Peppered, bronze, panda, etc.

I don't think any of your current stock is very suitable for a 10 gallon, though.
    I hope this has helped!

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You can fit just about any small-medium size schooling fish in that tank. If I were you, I would go visit the lfs, with a pad and pencil. Look at all the tank and write down the species that interest you. Come back here and type up the list and we can advise how to stock your tank to achieve the effect you're looking for.

4. YoungClayB Member Member

Hi MD. The tank is still cycling. I am hoping that its a short cycle though since I have the filter media of my old 10g in the filter box of the new tank. I am also using Nite Out 2, which should speed things along. I set up the tank 4 days ago and for the past 2 days, the ammonia is holding steady somewhere between 0 and .25 ppm.

I'm definitely planning to let everything settle out before introducing any new fish. I am just trying to plan ahead so that I dont make any foolish decision while standing in the fish store....something like...Ooohhh, those clown loaches look neato, I'll take 8! LOL

Why the recommendation against the Angel? Are they known to have a large bio-load?

5. YoungClayB Member Member

Thanks Lynda, I'll do this.

6. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Hmm, never heard of Nite out2. Is it like Tetra safe start? The only reason I say no to the angel is so that you can have more of other fish. For example, I would forgo the cories if you got an angel. Angel get quite large, around 6", and so yes, they will poop about as much as a small school. lol

I am also not too sure about DG and an angel. Never had a Dg, but I know they are territorial, and I'm guessing you would get a young angel - I'm just not sure if it would work (I think it would be different if you had a large angel and then got a DG).

Lynda had some great advice. I do that while browsing the LFS, only I never write anythign down and then by the time I get home I forget which fish I liked :p

7. YoungClayB Member Member

Cool. So, I could pick between an Angel or the Cories. I've also considered getting an Angel and moving the DG to the 10g all by himself - in which case, I could also have the cories? and the upper level schooling fish? All these tradeoffs :)

Nite Out 2 is sort of like TSS - minus the magical "hope and pray for 2 weeks factor" - plus its cheaper. Its basically Nitrosomonas, Nitrospira and Nitrobactor in a bottle. These are the actual types of bacteria that need to be present in a cycled aquarium...so rather than waiting for them to build up naturally, the Nite Out 2 just gives your tank a kickstart. Another reason I think its better than TSS is because you can introduce it even when you ammonia levels are high and the bacteria instantly start to process the ammonia and nitrite.

http://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/bacterial-products/nite-out-ii/

8. erikezikel Initiate Member

Hi guys...I too recently upgraded my tank to 40 gallons from 15 gallons. I have two angels, two red tail sharks, a gourami, a black skirt tetra and five tiger barbs. All these fishes were in the 15 gallons tank and were co-existing very peacefully, and they are doing so in the new 40 gallon tank too. The new tank setup has been almost a month.
    I recently added three blue auratus cichlids which are very small, about an inch or so. Will all of them co exist as these three cichlids grow up?

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, please be sure to create your own thread so that your situation can be dealt with specifically. Otherwise, these threads can get really confusing. :)

10. erikezikel Initiate Member

Wokies...:)

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

AFTER YOUR CYCLE

You could add a school of tetras and a school of smaller cories IMO. Maybe some diamond tetras? I love them in planted tanks (not sure if you're planning on a planted tank). I also REALLY enjoy scissor tail tetras. They are the best schoolers and they are super nice and get along with everyone. You could do a school of cardinals maybe? I don't have any experience but always hear good things about them. I'd do about 10 of whatever you choose.

Then I'd do like 8-10 panda cory cats. Those are my absolute favorite. I'd consider maybe skunks instead but I am a sucker for the pandas. You could also do pygmys I think they are super cute.

I think an angel would be a bit much so I'd pass on that as they get pretty big. I had two in my 55 and they seemed to always use as much space as possible. They did the same in the 125 until I rehomed them.

12. YoungClayB Member Member

Ok. Well, sadly, Tommy the Gourami developed iridovirus and passed away last night. He just stopped eating and declined very quickly. I had no idea that Gourami were so susceptible to disease. Oh well, I don't think I'll have any more Gourami :-/

So now, I only have 2 Platys and the Rubber Lipped Pleco in the 37 gallon tank. All three fish are very active, eating well, and frankly happier than I've ever seen them.

What does the departure of the Gourami do to my stocking options?

Are there any fish that were previously ruled out because of the presence of the DG?

By the way, the tank is cycled. Ammonia and nitrite are both zero.

13. YoungClayB Member Member

^^^my son and I both like the idea of a school of cories so that part of the equation is solved :)

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I honestly think a single angle or a pair (male/female) could be done in a 37, but has to be done carefully.

As for the rest of the tank, really its a trip to the store or around the new to find what you like. Take a look thru some of the members galleries on here and see what fish you like to look at. You have a nice tank size to stock so you have lots of options.

Do you have an idea of how you are designing the tank? are you putting live plants in it? (which I highly recommend) are the platties both male, both female, or m/f? do you want fry if they are a mating couple?

15. YoungClayB Member Member

Right now, I don't have any live plants. It's something that might be fun to experiment with down the road but its honestly more than I want to get into right now. Plus, I would have
    To upgrade my lighting. Right now, my LED hood is the basic low lumen marineland job. :-/

Both Platys are female so no plans for fry. Despite my plans, one of them was already pregnant when I got her and just gave birth to about 6 fry - 4 of which are still alive and doing well in a separate 10g tank. Once they get big enough to determine their sex, I will add the females to the 38g tank and drop the males at the LFS (or keep them in the 10g...not decided yet)

16. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Sorry about your DG! They are susceptible to disease, unfortunately. :(

Cories will be great in that tank! Congrats on the cycle!
    If you are thinking of adding the rest of the females to the tank later, (up to 6 possibly) it will be pushing the stocking to full, depending on what else you'd like.

If you wouldn't mind, could you fill out your aquarium info, just so we can help you better in any given situation. :)

If you'd like cories ,I'd say go with at least 5. And, if you want an angel, just do one, because if they are not a proven pair, (harder to find + more expensive) they could fight. And, if they are a proven pair, they will likely spawn and make life for the other tank mates miserable. So, play it safe, just do one. :)

Or, if you like gouramis, you could get a pair of pearls, or one blue. :)

17. vasqua03 Member Member

One thing I recently learned, don't get a school of barbs unless you are willing to forgo a lot of options except for maybe the rosy barbs which stay small and can be very peaceful. I really love the panda cories too but keep them at about 5 min., they stay pretty small and are incredibly cute. Also a school of about 8 rummynose tetras would look great. Bring your platy up to a 3 to 1, female to male ratio. I think that's what I would do but it's all in your preference.

18. YoungClayB Member Member

Ok. Quick update on my stocking progress. After do a lot of research I added 5 Harlequin Rasboras last night. They are doing terrific and are fantastic schoolers - nice and tight. I'll give it another week or so and add another 4-5 HRs to round out the school.

My original thought was to add a school of Cardinal Tetras but everything I read made it sound like they were prone to death unless you had pretty soft water. Sooo, I passed on the Cards, plus they are almost $5 each :O

Current stock:
    2 Platys (Both female)
    1 Rubberlipped Pleco
    5 Harlequin Rasboras

Plans from here:
    - add 4-5 more Harlequins
    - add a single Angelfish
    - add a school of bottom dwellers. I was originally thinking about Cory Cats but have recently been pondering some sort of loach...maybe 3-4 coolies?. Any suggestions or warnings?

I also added a sunken ship background. Here is a pic of the current setup:
    [​IMG]

19. stephers Initiate Member

Just as a warning, I have a gray rubbermouth pleco and he is territorial about sharing his ground space. He actually killed 3 cories before I realized he was the villian. He would attack them over algae discs and ripped their little barbules off. Once I moved him out, my cories all were fine.

I moved the rubbermouth into a tank with a Dwarf Gourami and the two randomly pick fights with eachother over the algae discs.

So keep an eye on your cories if you put them in there, and watch your pleco for any territorial behavior. I would remove him if any of the cories end up missing and whiskers!