37 gallon tank possibilities

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishyboy05, Dec 22, 2012.

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

I was wondering if I could do this.
    2 spotted leaf fish
    1 albino rainbow shark
    4 Cory cats
    1 gbr
    1 apisto
    6 rumynose tetras
    Saw a 30 gallon tank on YouTube with
    2 yoyo loaches, 2 red tail sharks, 5 cherry barbs, 2 African Leaf Fish, and 4some German Blue Rams, 1Siamese Algae Eater, 3 Panda Garras, and 4 Sterbai Corys
    Just wondering what y'all think!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

spotted ctenopomas, aka leopard bushfish and african leaf fish, are african gouramis. They grow to 6 inches and are can get aggressive once they get to 3.5-4 inches. I have never tried to keep more than one. I wouldn't expect it to work, based on what I've seen from the 2 I've grown out. The first one turned out to be too aggressive for the tank (75 gallons) and I had to give it away. I know how small they are sold, but they'll be grown in a couple of years, and are going to need a larger tank than the 37. Actually, it's not a bad tank for the ctenopoma - it would just be bad for the other fish in the tank.

Rainbow sharks, too, are very territorial and get aggressive when they grow up. They will need a tank with at least a 48x18 footprint.

Corys are a good choice of bottom feeder for a 37, and you could certainly get more than 4. They really are more enjoyable to watch when kept in a larger group, and if you chose a smaller species, like pandas or skunks, you could easily double it to 8.

You might be able to keep a GBR with an apisto. You might not - it's really going to depend on the individual fish. There's only one way to know if it will work for you and that's to try it.

I have not kept rummy nose tetras, but I know others love them so that's probably a good choice. I would bump them up to 8.

There are LOTS of youtube videos out there - some are downright awful. There is no way that I would attempt such a stocking, so I certainly would never endorse it. There's so much wrong with that tank. I don't care what it looks like in the video - it only provides a snap shot. Fish live for years, and that is just not a tank that is set up for success. It's set up for failure. I mean, I can go to the store, buy a whole bunch of fish that don't belong together, throw them all in a tank, take a video and put it on youtube. Sometimes fish start fighting immediately, but most times it's something that develops, and signs of aggression are there well before the fish start actually attacking each other.

Stress is a killer, one way or another. Keeping fish in a high stress environment is detrimental to their health. It's detrimental to your health too ;)

3. OP
    OP
    F

Ok, that was just a dream! haha so i wont do that, but heres what id love to do!so what does everyone think of this stocking for a 37 gallon tank?
    2 panda garras
    4 Cory cats
    8 rumynose tetras
    1 German blue ram
    1 apistogramma agassazi blue
    2 pearl gouramis
    5 fancy guppies
    12 neon tetras
    1 angelfish
    So here's what I will be willing to do
    Add 1 panda garra if need more
    Take out the neons if they will be eaten by the angel
    Get 1 dwarf gourami instead of 2 pearl
    Take the guppies out if they wil be eaten
    So what does anyone suggust? And if I got all the fish, them added a baby angel, would it be alright cuz it grows up with the neons?
    And will the angel eat the neons and or guppies?
    And are panda garras good algea eaters?

4. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Cories like to be in groups of at least 6.
    If an angel grows up with the neons it might not eat them.
    So many different cichlids (angel. Apisto and ram) seems like a little much for a 37.
    Gourami usually like to be single unless you have a mated pair.
    Id pick between the angel, apisto, ram and gourami and try to find a pair instead of mixing them all up. Its stressful, the fish won't live as long and may get sick. There are tons of fish to brighten your tank up without having 4 different centerpiece fish

5. OP
    OP
    F

Well for sure I'm doin the ram and apisto, so wht bout this
    1 ram
    1 apisto
    8 rumynose
    12 neon tetras
    4 Cory's
    2 panda garras
    5 fancy guppies
    What else?

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I'd up the school of corries to at least 6 and call it good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice