37 gallon stocking

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I have a 37 gallon tank with 7 silver tipped tetras and 5 Red eye tetras. I am wondering if I'm over stocked or close to it? My hob filter is an Ac 70. If I'm not over stocked any ideas for bottom dwellers or other community fish? Thanks
 

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Member
Messages
939
Reaction score
713
Location
Oregon
Defiantly doesn't sound overstocked to me. You got more room if you want, I would up the schools of both tetra if you can, it will make them both happy and tetra just look cooler in larger schools. Maybe add a cool centerpiece fish or some bottom dwellers as well.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,798
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
You are definitely not overstocked. You still have room for a centerpiece and some bottom dwellers.
I would add a couple more red eyes and maybe do a trio of honey gourami for centerpiece (1 male, 2 female)
If you want a larger centerpiece, a pair of apistogramma cacatouides would look nice (1 male, 1 female)
 

Madchild57

Active Member
Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
116
Location
Pittsburgh
Experience
2 years
AquaticQueen said:
You are definitely not overstocked. You still have room for a centerpiece and some bottom dwellers.
I would add a couple more red eyes and maybe do a trio of honey gourami for centerpiece (1 male, 2 female)
If you want a larger centerpiece, a pair of apistogramma cacatouides would look nice (1 male, 1 female)
I agree with the honeys, but just a disclaimer if you go with them, ensure you're getting honey gouramis and not sunset thick-lipped gouramis. The thick lipped get 3.5-4 inches whereas honeys get 2 inches.
Cories are always a good bottom dweller.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
AquaticQueen said:
You are definitely not overstocked. You still have room for a centerpiece and some bottom dwellers.
I would add a couple more red eyes and maybe do a trio of honey gourami for centerpiece (1 male, 2 female)
If you want a larger centerpiece, a pair of apistogramma cacatouides would look nice (1 male, 1 female)
Good ideas. I just got the red eyes today so I'll see how well they will do. I thought I was close to being overstocked with the inch to gallon theory. I saw the apistogramma today at my LFS. Not sure if they will know if its male or female. Is this fish hard to take care? Will it eat the same food I feed my tetras? I feed them bug bites and omega one frozen community formula. Noticed it's a carnivore. My LFS said they required very good water

Madchild57 said:
I agree with the honeys, but just a disclaimer if you go with them, ensure you're getting honey gouramis and not sunset thick-lipped gouramis. The thick lipped get 3.5-4 inches whereas honeys get 2 inches.
Cories are always a good bottom dweller.
I tried otocinclus but they unfortunately got ich and passed away but all my other fish made it and no signs of ich. How many cories you think and what's your favorite.
 

Madchild57

Active Member
Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
116
Location
Pittsburgh
Experience
2 years
Mikel88 said:
I tried otocinclus but they unfortunately got ich and passed away but all my other fish made it and no signs of ich. How many cories you think and what's your favorite.
I have bronze and they're pretty nice. They can be dull but mine have a bit of a shimmer to them. Looks wise, I like pandas, but I'm not familiar with their temperature range. I think 5-6 will be nice for a 37 gallon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
Madchild57 said:
I have bronze and they're pretty nice. They can be dull but mine have a bit of a shimmer to them. Looks wise, I like pandas, but I'm not familiar with their temperature range. I think 5-6 will be nice for a 37 gallon.
My tetras go crazy when I feed them and not much food hits the bottom. Would you suggest algae wafers or something else to make sure they keep fed
 

Madchild57

Active Member
Member
Messages
267
Reaction score
116
Location
Pittsburgh
Experience
2 years
Mikel88 said:
My tetras go crazy when I feed them and not much food hits the bottom. Would you suggest algae wafers or something else to make sure they keep fed
They're omnivores, so there's bottom feeder wafers and wafers made especially for cories, algae wafers aren't the best for them even though they'll nibble on them.
 

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
523
Location
PA
Experience
More than 10 years
I love julli cories, or even the false jullie cories. Im curious to know haw the red eye tetras do. I here mixed stories from "they are aggressive, to "they are not aggressive".
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
Madchild57 said:
They're omnivores, so there's bottom feeder wafers and wafers made especially for cories, algae wafers aren't the best for them even though they'll nibble on them.
Awesome, thank you!

Noroomforshoe said:
I love julli cories, or even the false jullie cories. Im curious to know haw the red eye tetras do. I here mixed stories from "they are aggressive, to "they are not aggressive".
As of right now they seem fine. Only bought them a few hours ago. Got 5 of them. 2 of them are swimming at the top with the silver tip and 3 are chilling around the middle.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,798
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
Mikel88 said:
Good ideas. I just got the red eyes today so I'll see how well they will do. I thought I was close to being overstocked with the inch to gallon theory. I saw the apistogramma today at my LFS. Not sure if they will know if its male or female. Is this fish hard to take care? Will it eat the same food I feed my tetras? I feed them bug bites and omega one frozen community formula. Noticed it's a carnivore. My LFS said they required very good water
The inch per gallon rule is simple, yet flawed. It goes not take activity level or bio load into consideration.
It's true, apistos do need stable water parameters and do not take water fluctuations too well. I would wait a few months until your tank is established to add them if you do.
Male qpiatos have more vibrant fins and a grayish body, while females have a yellow body with less colorful fins.

I think they would be fine on the diet you have with some added baby brine shrimp or larvae.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
AquaticQueen said:
The inch per gallon rule is simple, yet flawed. It goes not take activity level or bio load into consideration.
It's true, apistos do need stable water parameters and do not take water fluctuations too well. I would wait a few months until your tank is established to add them if you do.
Male qpiatos have more vibrant fins and a grayish body, while females have a yellow body with less colorful fins.
I think they would be fine on the diet you have with some added baby brine shrimp or larvae.
Water seems ok so far. No ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates are a little high because my tap water is. Tank is around 20 to 40 ppm. I bought the seachem matrix to help with that and I do weekly water changes.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,798
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
Mikel88 said:
Water seems ok so far. No ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates are a little high because my tap water is. Tank is around 20 to 40 ppm. I bought the seachem matrix to help with that and I do weekly water changes.
I'm no expert, but I might increase the water change percentage if you are getting readings like that with only tetras.
How much water do you change out?
 

Nataku

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,810
Reaction score
1,129
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you're regularly running 20-40ppm nitrates in your water, plant that tank! Live plants will make the fish much happier plus they'll help absorb the nitrates (its fertilizer to the plants) and probably grow well in such water conditions. There are many super easy to keep low light plants out there from floaters like dwarf salvinia and frogbit to guppy grass and hornwort, to java fern, anubias and valisneria.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
AquaticQueen said:
I'm no expert, but I might increase the water change percentage if you are getting readings like that with only tetras.
How much water do you change out?
30% water change each week. If my tap water is high it wont matter if I do more water changes right?

Nataku said:
If you're regularly running 20-40ppm nitrates in your water, plant that tank! Live plants will make the fish much happier plus they'll help absorb the nitrates (its fertilizer to the plants) and probably grow well in such water conditions. There are many super easy to keep low light plants out there from floaters like dwarf salvinia and frogbit to guppy grass and hornwort, to java fern, anubias and valisneria.
I hear ya. Did alot of research for low level light plants. I dont have a good aquarium light, came with my tank. Top fin. I ordered from aquarium co op. Java ferns, Anubias and going to attach them to lava rock. A little worried about the plants though, usps tracking has them arriving by july 8th :/
 

Nataku

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,810
Reaction score
1,129
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plants do better in the mail than fish, but yes sometimes they can get baked to death in the mail. Don't by surprised if the plants melt a bit when they arrive for the first several weeks (the leaves turn to mush and fall off/dissolve away). This is not uncommon when plants come from different tanks/water conditions. They will start new growth in a few weeks time. But you've got a good plan, so just be patient with the plants. Anubias in particular is a slow growing plant. But its pretty hardy.

Also, if you need a better but still affordable light, pick up a Nicrew off of amazon. Cheap LED and they do a fine job of growing low and medium light plants.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
Nataku said:
Plants do better in the mail than fish, but yes sometimes they can get baked to death in the mail. Don't by surprised if the plants melt a bit when they arrive for the first several weeks (the leaves turn to mush and fall off/dissolve away). This is not uncommon when plants come from different tanks/water conditions. They will start new growth in a few weeks time. But you've got a good plan, so just be patient with the plants. Anubias in particular is a slow growing plant. But its pretty hardy.

Also, if you need a better but still affordable light, pick up a Nicrew off of amazon. Cheap LED and they do a fine job of growing low and medium light plants.
Awwsome. I also picked up the fertilizer he sells. I'll look into the light but that means I'll have to find a new top or take the one I have off.

Nataku said:
Plants do better in the mail than fish, but yes sometimes they can get baked to death in the mail. Don't by surprised if the plants melt a bit when they arrive for the first several weeks (the leaves turn to mush and fall off/dissolve away). This is not uncommon when plants come from different tanks/water conditions. They will start new growth in a few weeks time. But you've got a good plan, so just be patient with the plants. Anubias in particular is a slow growing plant. But its pretty hardy.

Also, if you need a better but still affordable light, pick up a Nicrew off of amazon. Cheap LED and they do a fine job of growing low and medium light plants.
What inch size for the light would you recommend? The length of my tank?
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,798
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
Mikel88 said:
30% water change each week. If my tap water is high it wont matter if I do more water changes right?
I would increase the water change percentage to, say, 45-50% and like @Nataku said, planting the tank would help with the nitrates a lot.
 

Nataku

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,810
Reaction score
1,129
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
I get lights that are the length of my tank, or just slightly shorter than them. You have a 37 gallon, which is the same length as a 29 or a 20 long. So 30 inches. So the 30-36" one on amazon is the size you want. The smaller of the two numbers is the actual length of the light bar. The second number is how far out the feet on each side can extend out to. I rarely ever bother with the feet myself and just leave the light sitting on the lid, it does just fine. But that's a personal thing.
 

Corycatfishboi

New Member
Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
10
Mikel88 said:
Hello,

I have a 37 gallon tank with 7 silver tipped tetras and 5 Red eye tetras. I am wondering if I'm over stocked or close to it? My hob filter is an Ac 70. If I'm not over stocked any ideas for bottom dwellers or other community fish? Thanks
Add a school of Cory cats they are so cute when they swim together and When they eat their food
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
104
Guests online
2,372
Total visitors
2,476

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom