37 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Libby22

Reaction score
HI everyone! I have a new 37 gallon tall tank (30L x 12W x 22H) and I'm looking for stocking ideas. Currently I'm thinking 3-5 platys, 5 corydoras julii, a pair of dwarf gouramis, and maybe a small school of neon tetras. I have 1 cave and 1 large piece of driftwood. The tank is lightly planted with val. I would like to add anubias nana when coronavirus quarantine is over. I have moderately soft water and a pH between 6.5 and 7. I really like color and just watching fish swim around. Open to all suggestions, if possible please include suggested numbers, I don't want to overstock my tank. Thanks in advance!

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Platies are no good for soft water, they like it super hard. Instead of dwarf gouramis, who DO NOT do good in pairs, unless you find a female, I woudl do a pair of trio of pearl gouramI (1 male, 2 females).
and up the corries to at least 6, but you could do as many as 15.
female dwarfed gouramis are SUPER hard to find.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The stocking looks all right but I would switch out the DGs for a pair of powder blue gourami, and I would increase the cory school size.
How many neons are you planning on getting? If you increase the cory school to 7 you could do about 12 neons.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kdizzle said:
The stocking looks all right but I would switch out the DGs for a pair of powder blue gourami, and I would increase the cory school size.
How many neons are you planning on getting? If you increase the cory school to 7 you could do about 12 neons.
Powder blues are dwarf gouramis.

OP
Libby22

Libby22

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I was planning on a male and female pair of dwarf gourami. I've already talked to a local store about it and they said they get females in. Sad about the platies, I really like their yellow and orange colors. If I were to do a trio of pearl gouramis with the corys what would you recommend for a pop of color in the mid tank, ie what would be a good substitute for the platies.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Libby22 said:
Thanks for the input everyone. I was planning on a male and female pair of dwarf gourami. I've already talked to a local store about it and they said they get females in. Sad about the platies, I really like their yellow and orange colors. If I were to do a trio of pearl gouramis with the corys what would you recommend for a pop of color in the mid tank, ie what would be a good substitute for the platies.
Take a look at tetras or rasboras, almost any type will work, there are many colorful types! Get like 8-12.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Libby22 said:
You might take a look at serpae tetras (sometimes sold as red minor tetras). They're a very colorful fish that have somewhat of a reputation for fin nipping, but I've never had a problem with them. Just make sure to get at least 7 - 8. That way they'll focus their attention on each other instead of the other fish in the tank.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Libby22 said:
Even as a pair the male can often beat on the female, from what I know.

New Threads