37 gallon freshwater aquarium overstocked?

1. 4Shark2Bait0

4Shark2Bait0 New Member Member

8 mollies
    2 golden gourami
    5 tetra
    10 platys
    1 Cory cat
    5 Giant Danios

LFS says my tank is overstocked. I'm thinking if I do regular water changes and pay attention to my ammonia and nitrate levels I will be fine.

What's do you think? Add more? Subtract? Or do nothing?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, it's definitely overstocked.

I'd rehome 5-6 of the mollies and just keep 2-3 males. They can get about 4 inches, some types get even larger. The gold gouramis need a 55g min so I would rehome those. The giant danios are also too big for this tank. 10 platys might be too much. I'd personally only keep 4-5.

What kind of cory and tetras do you have? Corys are shoaling fish and should also be in a group of 6+.

It's not just about keeping parameters at bay for the bioload but you need to think about swimming space, activity level and the size they will eventually get.

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I agree, you tank is way overstocked and you need to rehome some fish

You stock could look something Like this

3-4x Mollies
    10x Tetra (what kind??)
    6-8x Cories (What kind??)
    4-5x Plattys

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello 4...

Just leave things as they are. You have the fish now, so take care of them. As long as you have some bushy floating plants in the tank and change out at least half the tank water every few days, then your tank should run fine. Floating plants will allow the peaceful fish to avoid the bullies and the larger water changes will keep the tank water free of dissolved fish wastes. You have a lot of fish, so you can't miss a water change. Feed just a little a couple of times a day of a variety. I feed low phosphate flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods. The Corydoras will like wafers and pellets.

In the mean time, make plans for a larger tank.

Old

5. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

Sometimes its better to understock. When we think of stocking most usually refers to how much the aquarium can take with out it crashing. However we also forget the fish point of view. The fish should have a lot of room that it has space to actually swim around with out having to face another fish if you know what I mean.

6. OP
    OP
    4Shark2Bait0

4Shark2Bait0 New Member Member

You guys were %1000000 correct. Not only was my water parameters uncontrollable the the fish did not have enough room to swim freely so I took most of them back and got a couple additions. Now my fish are happy and healthy and I'm not looking though cloudy glass constantly. Thanks!