36G Bowfront Build

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s coming along nicely, and the water is a bit cloudy because I just added the driftwood, rocks and substrate. Here’s what I have so far on this 36G Bowfront build: Marineland C220, 2 bags of Carib Sea Eco Complete, driftwood and rocks. Now to figure out how to stock it.

Attachments

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks great! That is definitely an impressive piece of driftwood. Are you planning on adding plants at any point?

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
To answer both your questions, I definitely will be adding plants. That was the biggest reason I chose the substrate that I did. The type I can plant though, will depend on how I stock the tank. And I’m guessing I’ll need a better light setup.

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
Looks great! That is definitely an impressive piece of driftwood. Are you planning on adding plants at any point?
Thanks for saying so! I’m pretty happy with the driftwood I came across. Once the water clears up, I’ll post a pic of all the little hiding spots there would be for fish or plants.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
whiskeyblaine said:
Thanks for saying so! I’m pretty happy with the driftwood I came across. Once the water clears up, I’ll post a pic of all the little hiding spots there would be for fish or plants.
Ok I figured you were doing plants just based on the substrate and if you weren't I was going to suggest you too! Haha
Did you find it or buy it?? I have some malaysian drift one in mine, but my dream is to eventually have a big piece to really be the centerpiece of my tank.
As for fish, do you want to do a community tank or a species only tank?

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hahaha! I mean, the eco complete does look good on top of what it’s meant for lol. I had to buy it, but glad I did. As for fish, I keep going back and forth. I like the idea of a species tank. But don’t know what I’d put in this small of a tank.

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
whiskeyblaine said:
Hahaha! I mean, the eco complete does look good on top of what it’s meant for lol. I had to buy it, but glad I did. As for fish, I keep going back and forth. I like the idea of a species tank. But don’t know what I’d put in this small of a tank.
Kuhli loaches and maybe some kind of schooling fish?

I don't know what kind of fish you like more lol

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If I had a bigger tank I would definitely get some angelfish, they look so pretty and from what I hear are relatively easy to keep as long as you do your research.
But there are also some smaller cichlids as well that might could work for you too.

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
If I had a bigger tank I would definitely get some angelfish, they look so pretty and from what I hear are relatively easy to keep as long as you do your research.
But there are also some smaller cichlids as well that might could work for you too.
I do love angel fish. But I don’t think I could keep one in my tank.
Have you heard of Sajica Cichlids? I’m wondering if I could keep one.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
whiskeyblaine said:
I do love angel fish. But I don’t think I could keep one in my tank.
Have you heard of Sajica Cichlids? I’m wondering if I could keep one.
I haven’t but just looked them up and they look really cool. Here’s an info video from one of my favorite YouTube aquarium guys on them.

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
I haven’t but just looked them up and they look really cool. Here’s an info video from one of my favorite YouTube aquarium guys on them.
Oh I like that guy too! This video is actually what turned me on to the Sajica Cichlid.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
whiskeyblaine said:
Oh I like that guy too! This video is actually what turned me on to the Sajica Cichlid.
Awesome, yeah him, along with KGAquatics and of course Cory from Aquarium Co-Op are probably the top 3 I watch. Haha

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bloodfeather said:
Kuhli loaches and maybe some kind of schooling fish?

I don't know what kind of fish you like more lol
I think I will be stocking this tank with 1 to 2 Sajica Cichlids, 2 Cory Cats, and a few Micky Mouse Platties. Thoughts? Is this too heavily stocked? Will these fish all get along relatively peacefully?

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
whiskeyblaine said:
I think I will be stocking this tank with 1 to 2 Sajica Cichlids, 2 Cory Cats, and a few Micky Mouse Platties. Thoughts? Is this too heavily stocked? Will these fish all get along relatively peacefully?
Sounds ok to me... but cories should really have at least a group of 5.

I'm also a bit unsure on the platies, as the cichlids are mildly aggressive. I'm not sure if the colors or anything would make them territorial, especially if you have a M/F pair.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, more cories the better. I’d suggest at least 8-10 if you can swing it.

OP
whiskeyblaine

whiskeyblaine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
I would riddle that piece of drift wood with java fern and any other plants that cannot be in substrate....that piece of wood is awesome
Ha! I'm glad you think so! And I do absolutely plan on covering it with plants. you can't see it in the pic, but there are tons of knots and small little cracks that are perfect for anchoring plants.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
whiskeyblaine said:
Ha! I'm glad you think so! And I do absolutely plan on covering it with plants. you can't see it in the pic, but there are tons of knots and small little cracks that are perfect for anchoring plants.
Oh I can imagine.
May I also suggest if your not running a lid on it to put a large batch of pothos plants at the top of the wood and leat the leaves rest on the outer edges of the tank...that piece of wood is dope...I am jealous just a touch,wont lie hahaha :)

New Threads