Question 36 Gallon Overstocked?

fishrlene

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Please tell me if I’m pushing it or this stocking would be OK. I’m having a tough time picking between the school of Rummies and Cardinal tetras. So I’m thinking of getting both schools. It seems OK according to aqadvisor but I know it’s not the most reliable place. So would really appreciate your input!

Tank - 36G bowfront, planted with driftwood
0 - Ammonia, 0 - Nitrite, 5 - Nitrate

- 6 Harlequin Rasboras
- 6 Lemon Tetras
- 3 Otos
- 1 Dwarf Gourami
- 6 Salt & Pepper Cories
- 1 Nerite Snail
- 1 Ghost Shrimp
- 6 Cardinals
- 6 Rummy Nose

I know it’s better to have more in a school, but I love the variety.

TIA!

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There’s 1 gallon of margin per fish (36 individuals in a 36 tank if counting snail), so IMO that’s a little tight. If you did 1 type of the same schooling fish it would work, but since there are multiple schools each school as well as each fish will need its own space

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I put in the info you've given to Aqadvisor it says you're overstocked. It says the tank is 124% stocked and usually I advice people to stock it up to 90% if they use Aqadvisor cause I feel that what it says is 100% is slightly overstocked.
If I were you I'd pick between cardinals or rummies, but even if you go with lets say six rummies and no cardinals your tank is still overstocked. If you have all the other fish but none of the cardinals or rummies yet, I wouldn't add anything more. Without either schools your tank sits at 96% stocked according to the website.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I would say that was quite over stocked. In a 36 gallon I would stick to just 2 mid dwelling schools, definitely not 4. Most of your fish (including otos) are schooling and should be kept in groups of 6+ but this is the bare minimum- not ideal. More is better. Remember that these fish often live in groups of hundreds in the wild.

I would do something like this
12 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Lemon Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
12 Salt & Pepper Cories
6 otos
1 Nerite Snail
5 Ghost Shrimp

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not that I am an expert or anything, but it seems if you have excess filtration, have your tank well planted, keep up with water changes and maintenance, AND provide enough distinct areas for the fish to claim, I think you are fine. Just watch your water parameters like a hawk and make sure you are vaccuuming regularly. You may have to do MORE water changes to accomodate your overstock.

Someone on the forums once told me that everything you put in the tank stays in the tank in one form or another until you take it out its been my golden rule and has served me pretty well so far.

fishrlene

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not that I am an expert or anything, but it seems if you have excess filtration, have your tank well planted, keep up with water changes and maintenance, AND provide enough distinct areas for the fish to claim, I think you are fine. Just watch your water parameters like a hawk and make sure you are vaccuuming regularly. You may have to do MORE water changes to accomodate your overstock.

Someone on the forums once told me that everything you put in the tank stays in the tank in one form or another until you take it out its been my golden rule and has served me pretty well so far.
Yes, I actually have over filtration. Aquaclear 70 with a large double sponge filter. I do weekly water changes and vacuum 1/4 of the gravel.

There’s 1 gallon of margin per fish (36 individuals in a 36 tank if counting snail), so IMO that’s a little tight. If you did 1 type of the same schooling fish it would work, but since there are multiple schools each school as well as each fish will need its own space
That’s true. Thanks for your input!

Yes I would say that was quite over stocked. In a 36 gallon I would stick to just 2 mid dwelling schools, definitely not 4. Most of your fish (including otos) are schooling and should be kept in groups of 6+ but this is the bare minimum- not ideal. More is better. Remember that these fish often live in groups of hundreds in the wild.

I would do something like this
12 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Lemon Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
12 Salt & Pepper Cories
6 otos
1 Nerite Snail
5 Ghost Shrimp
Gotcha. Ok, thank you for your input. I am a little worried about keeping too many otos in case there’s not enough algae. They eat cucumbers and zucchini but they’re not eating the algae wafers.

Last edited by a moderator:

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gotcha. Ok, thank you for your input. I am a little worried about keeping too many otos in case there’s enough algae. They eat cucumbers and zucchini but they’re not eating the algae wafers.
You could try some Repashy gel food? I have heard that sometimes otos prefer gel food to wafers or pellets (but I have not kept otos myself).

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, having 6 of a fish like a rummynose or Cardinal just isn't going to do that species any justice... Those are the two schoolers I'd focus on. The rummynose give you a very tight schooler that you won't find in any other species while the Cardinals (or neons) are going to give you a good dose of blues and reds.

I'd probably even consider a smaller species of corydora if possible, those peppered Cories get pretty large, I couldn't believe how big and chunky they get as adults, they'll be the largest fish you have with the smallest area to swim since they'll almost exclusively be on the bottom with what space isn't being blocked out by the scape.

If I were stocking that tank for myself, I'd keep in mind the inch per gallon or fish per gallon rule is an absolute terrible rule of thumb and stock based on who's going to compete for what amount of area in a tank, your filtration capacity and such. The only fish you intend to stock that's going to be territorial in the least is the dwarf Gourami, if you ever watched the rummynose in the store you'd notice they stay very tightly schooled, they want to be up in each other's space while the Cardinals will somewhat more loosely putter around throughout the tank around them...
I'd probably go with
15-20 rummynose tetras
12 Cardinals or neon tetras
6 Panda corydoras
1 Dwarf Gourami (OR pair of Honey Gouramis, but definitely not both since a dwarf Gourami would eventually kill the smaller and much more peaceful Honey.)
3 Otos more if you find your system can support them
nerite
A few ghost shrimp (if you want ghost shrimp, only having one might just make it look oddly out of place lol)

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1 Dwarf Gourami (OR pair of Honey Gouramis, but definitely not both since a dwarf Gourami would eventually kill the smaller and much more peaceful Honey.)
This isn't always true. I have a male and female DG as well as two male Honey Gouramis in a 56G and they are fine. They all have their space I'm not saying you are wrong, but Gourami temperment is different for each fish and there is not a single answer. I have seen 75G with 12 DGs in it all peaceful as can be. I have also seen a 50GL where a single DG murdered an entire population of Platies.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
True, but as far as adding a centerpiece fish to this system, I'd still go one or the other but not both, some Gourami species can really be hit or miss with their personalities. Lol.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This isn't always true. I have a male and female DG as well as two male Honey Gouramis in a 56G and they are fine. They all have their space I'm not saying you are wrong, but Gourami temperment is different for each fish and there is not a single answer. I have seen 75G with 12 DGs in it all peaceful as can be. I have also seen a 50GL where a single DG murdered an entire population of Platies.
True, but as far as adding a centerpiece fish to this system, I'd still go one or the other but not both, some Gourami species can really be hit or miss with their personalities. Lol.
Unless the OP can rehome the gourami if fighting occurs it’s probably not a good idea

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, well they only had the 1x Dwarf Gourami listed anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue, but the honey Gouramis are just so darn cute if they ever came by them instead.

fishrlene

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMO, having 6 of a fish like a rummynose or Cardinal just isn't going to do that species any justice... Those are the two schoolers I'd focus on. The rummynose give you a very tight schooler that you won't find in any other species while the Cardinals (or neons) are going to give you a good dose of blues and reds.

I'd probably even consider a smaller species of corydora if possible, those peppered Cories get pretty large, I couldn't believe how big and chunky they get as adults, they'll be the largest fish you have with the smallest area to swim since they'll almost exclusively be on the bottom with what space isn't being blocked out by the scape.

If I were stocking that tank for myself, I'd keep in mind the inch per gallon or fish per gallon rule is an absolute terrible rule of thumb and stock based on who's going to compete for what amount of area in a tank, your filtration capacity and such. The only fish you intend to stock that's going to be territorial in the least is the dwarf Gourami, if you ever watched the rummynose in the store you'd notice they stay very tightly schooled, they want to be up in each other's space while the Cardinals will somewhat more loosely putter around throughout the tank around them...
I'd probably go with
15-20 rummynose tetras
12 Cardinals or neon tetras
6 Panda corydoras
3 Otos more if you find your system can support them
nerite
A few ghost shrimp (if you want ghost shrimp, only having one might just make it look oddly out of place lol)
Thanks for your input. I just don’t know what I can do with my other two schools. Do pet stores take them back?

I think Ghost Shrimps are fun but I’m always so worried that I’ll vacuum them up or they’ll be crushed by gravel when I do my vacuuming. Lol! That’s why I thought of just one.

Also, the Corydoras species I was looking to add are the dwarf ones - Corydoras Habrosus. Salt and Pepper not the Peppered ones. I didn’t realize they were different until I did a bit more research.

I thought of adding a pair of Gouramis but I heard they were territorial and will fight each other. So I am opting for one.

Yeah, well they only had the 1x Dwarf Gourami listed anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue, but the honey Gouramis are just so darn cute if they ever came by them instead.
I was thinking of them but don’t they get bigger than the dwarf kind? How are they cute? Personality wise? Colour?

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, right on, didn't realize you already had them notice them in your Avatar now that ya mention it, that stocking you listed would be fine to start out but later on adding a few more rummies would make for a pretty awesome school. They would if you're not really interested in them but since ya got them give them a go and see how you like em, they should all play nice regardless.
The honeys stay smaller, do fine in groups even if you wanted a few Gouramis, stay about 2 inch or less, very peaceful, and generally less susceptible to health issues, dwarfs have pretty hit or miss genetics. I had mine for over a year with Neons and Celestial Pearl Danios. Either way is probably gonna work out nicely though, the dwarfs do have some pretty nice patterns with the blues especially, just thought I'd give ya an extra option to consider for a Gourami lol.

Last edited:

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for your input. I just don’t know what I can do with my other two schools. Do pet stores take them back?

I think Ghost Shrimps are fun but I’m always so worried that I’ll vacuum them up or they’ll be crushed by gravel when I do my vacuuming. Lol! That’s why I thought of just one.

Also, the Corydoras species I was looking to add are the dwarf ones - Corydoras Habrosus. Salt and Pepper not the Peppered ones. I didn’t realize they were different until I did a bit more research.
Ghost shrimp are actually quite resilient and are fast when they need to be so don’t worry about vacuuming them unless they are shrimplets.
Most LFS will rehome fish. If not you can rehome them on fishlore, or you can keep your current schools and add to them rather than adding other schools

What 2 schools do you have currently?

fishrlene

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ghost shrimp are actually quite resilient and are fast when they need to be so don’t worry about vacuuming them unless they are shrimplets.
Most LFS will rehome fish. If not you can rehome them on fishlore, or you can keep your current schools and add to them rather than adding other schools

What 2 schools do you have currently?
The Rasboras and Lemons. I wanted to start with more hardy fishes that’s why I was pushing back getting either the cardinals and Rummies. But my tank doesn’t have much colour now so I was hoping of getting something more colourful. But the schooling capabilities of the Rummies have me in love with them too. Lol!

Oh, right on, didn't realize you already had them notice them in your Avatar now that ya mention it, that stocking you listed would be fine to start out but later on adding a few more rummies would make for a pretty awesome school. They would if you're not really interested in them but since ya got them give them a go and see how you like em, they should all play nice regardless.
The honeys stay smaller, do fine in groups even if you wanted a few Gouramis, stay about 2 inch or less, very peaceful, and generally less susceptible to health issues, dwarfs have pretty hit or miss genetics. I had mine for over a year with Neons and Celestial Pearl Danios. Either way is probably gonna work out nicely though, the dwarfs do have some pretty nice patterns with the blues especially, just thought I'd give ya an extra option to consider for a Gourami lol.
Good to know about the Honeys. I’ll look into them a bit more. Thank you! As for the dwarf gourami, I was looking at getting a Rainbow Dwarf.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Rasboras and Lemons. I wanted to start with more hardy fishes that’s why I was pushing back getting either the cardinals and Rummies. But my tank doesn’t have much colour now so I was hoping of getting something more colourful. But the schooling capabilities of the Rummies have me in love with them too. Lol!

Good to know about the Honeys. I’ll look into them a bit more. Thank you! As for the dwarf gourami, I was looking at getting a Rainbow Dwarf.
When it comes to dwarf gourami the deterrent for most people is dwarf gourami disease, but it’s rare if you go to a good LFS

Top Bottom